Water in under seat storage

BusyKYmom

Reaction score
So a big storm blew up quickly last weekend and it rained hard for about an hour. When we went back to check on the boat, the storage boxes under every seat had 1-2 inches of water in them. Shouldn't there be drains in these boxes? We dried them out the best we could and then took a ride with all the seats open to try and dry them some more, but if this is going to happen every time we have a rain without the cover on, we can't really store anything under the seats that won't get wet. Even the roll of paper towels I had under the helm storage were soaking wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a big storm blew up quickly last weekend and it rained hard for about an hour. When we went back to check on the boat, the storage boxes under every seat had 1-2 inches of water in them. Shouldn't there be drains in these boxes? We dried them out the best we could and then took a ride with all the seats open to try and dry them some more, but if this is going to happen every time we have a rain without the cover on, we can't really store anything under the seats that won't get wet. Even the roll of paper towels I had under the helm storae were soaking wet.
Hi Busy Mom, sorry to learn about the seat boxes. NOT what you want to find after a storm. Yes, the seats should have drain holes at the back corners of every box. When the drains are operational, very little water sits in the bases, and any moisture normally settles in the tracks molded into the bottom of the seats (below the flat base). This is something we do at the factory, but we apparently missed it on your boat. The fix is very easy and can be done by you or your dealer. A drill with a nice sized bit does the trick...go gently and slowly. Please accept our apology for the error. We'll make sure the line supervisors hear about it. TB

And these TB responses are why we buy the Bennington !!! Great customer relations. Being a business owner myself, sometimes you don't always do it right. But make it right !!! Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Had alot of problems with my boat too. Factory not taking time to do things. But had a great response from the Bennington crew.

It's also a good idea to store any paper products or spill-able products in a sealable plastic container or freezer style zip lock bags.

First thing we do when we buy a new boat is to pick up a couple containers that fit in the console storage compartment and a couple more for under the seats.

Steve

Hi Busy Mom, sorry to learn about the seat boxes. NOT what you want to find after a storm. Yes, the seats should have drain holes at the back corners of every box. When the drains are operational, very little water sits in the bases, and any moisture normally settles in the tracks molded into the bottom of the seats (below the flat base). This is something we do at the factory, but we apparently missed it on your boat. The fix is very easy and can be done by you or your dealer. A drill with a nice sized bit does the trick...go gently and slowly. Please accept our apology for the error. We'll make sure the line supervisors hear about it. TB
I've only been on the site for a little over a month. I pick up my 2275GCW this saturday. Frankly it's a little disappointing to read the statement above This is something we do at the factory, but we apparently missed it on your boat. I believe the bennington is a top of the line boat, I sure hope this is not going to be the start of a bad expierence. I would like to think the QA has a check list prior to the boats leaving the factory.

Concerned

Don't be concerned Otto, it doesn't matter what product you want to talk about, unless it is built by robots there will be a human error every now and then.

Just remember that you are buying the best built pontoon in the industry, and any problems that may arise are covered by the best warranty in the pontoon industry.

Now aren't you glad you didn't order that brand X pontoon? :D

It's also a good idea to store any paper products or spill-able products in a sealable plastic container or freezer style zip lock bags.

First thing we do when we buy a new boat is to pick up a couple containers that fit in the console storage compartment and a couple more for under the seats.

Steve
already bought some nice small rubbermaid type containers to fit under the seats and a larger one for under the helm. But I am encouraged that maybe we just need some drain holes put in.

Dont worry I wrote a letter to Bennington about the problems . I had with my boat and they said it would get back to owner. And things would be corrected on the line. Never heard from owner just web site man thou. Just need to watch. I still want to brag about there boats.

already bought some nice small rubbermaid type containers to fit under the seats and a larger one for under the helm. But I am encouraged that maybe we just need some drain holes put in.
You certainly need the drain holes. A hard rain and the channels can't handle all the water, but most of it should drain away. Use those containers for your important items that you don't want any water touching.

Steve

Same issue here! 2019 21 SXP. No drainage in front storage bins. I get that it was missed but this seems to be a recurring issue. Have you taken any corrective actions? Also, a photo or drawing of exactly where the holes should be located would be helpful. I’ll drill my own holes.27DB4B05-F8BD-4361-B7E1-B352AC50FE80.jpeg

Same issue here! 2019 21 SXP. No drainage in front storage bins. I get that it was missed but this seems to be a recurring issue. Have you taken any corrective actions? Also, a photo or drawing of exactly where the holes should be located would be helpful. I’ll drill my own holes.View attachment 27453

You’re replying to a post from 2012. The same people may not reply. Follow up with your dealer. They could take care of it for you, or otherwise let you know where to drill them. You could probably just scope out your own strategic spot if doing it yourself. However, with it under warranty, I would just pawn it off on a dealer at the end of the summer boating season.

Sorry you ran into this issue, and hopeful it can be taken care of easily for you. Out of curiosity, with it being a 2019, did you just now notice the problem?

Back