Water inside seats compartments

H2GO

Reaction score
We have a 2017 Swingback and are getting a lot of water inside 3 of the seating compartments. Today we had over an inch in one of the seats and it’s starting to smell. Spending an hour soaking up water is not a good start to a day of boating. The boat has never been uncovered and we even take the time to cinch down the cover around the Bimini struts. The only thing I can think of is the cover must leak like crazy. Anyone else experiencing this on a newer Benny? I need some data when I talk to my dealer because I already know they tell me it’s normal. Their standard MO.

Do you have drain holes in the corners of the seats?

And if so, are they clear? Also, sometimes a bit of sponging is needed to keep things bone dry. Just the nature of the beast.

I have a 18' 23ssbxp and have the same problems there are holes in the seats but they are not in the bottom they are about a 1/2" up on the side witch does not do any good

I have a 2017 Swingback as well that gets water under the seats. Always in the front port side seat. Always covered and as tight as I can get it.

Do you have drain holes in the corners of the seats?
Nope no drain holes in the bottoms of the seats. I assume find the lowest spot and drill through the deck?

Consider this: I was experiencing water accumulation under my front port lounger. Upon further inspection, I noted that there was a hole that wasn't fully sealed where some electrical wires came up through the deck. After caulking it, no more water collection (two years running). I firmly believe that the water was being introduced as spray from between the tubes and not rain from above. Just a thought...

I thought about that also until she was sitting in my driveway with the cover off and we had a quick thunderstorm and after that they had a bunch of water in them

Cause and effect! Looks like you might need to drill some holes rather than fill 'em like I did. Good luck...

Check down below before you drill to make sure you're not going to hit a cross member, wire or hose. And if you don't have underskin, drill at an angle towards the stern to minimize the opportunity for spray to come up in while you're underway.

Hello all, So we just purchased a new 2018 Bennington 23RSB Swing back, and instantly noticed what i would label as excessive water into the enclosed seating compartments, as like everyone it has been a unusually wet year.
I instantly contacted my selling dealer and he said that he was surprised as they are just not getting those complaints? As the boat cover was on at the time I was surprise at the amount of water, and of course the first statement was that the covers are not water proof just water resistant to help with mildew. My thoughts on this are for the price of a Bennington Tritoon the covers should be a better quality? that achieved a better level of protection, Which I see as problem #1.
Which to combat this we are going to water proof the cover as to cut down on the excessive amount of water coming thru a brand new cover and see if that helps. I will up date on that after we do that just waiting on the weather to cooperate, the second thing we have done is to rent a covered boat lift slip as I don't want to fight a constant leak and mildew issue with anything I want to store in those's compartments and when I get to the boat I just want to do normal load pre check and go boating. I don't want to have to either pull everything out to dry it or just not use them which would be useless.
Problem #2 is the drain holes are not solid as in there is a air gap between the hole in the channel and the exit hole to keep the water out of the lower compartment, I'm going to design and install a drain tube to connect to correct this issue, how ever this will do nothing for problem #3. The port side rear split bench as there is no divider between the 2 seats so I guess i will design some type of divider for the bottom of the seat cushions. to divert any water that would run down between them. I understand that the console and the rear split back seat are meant to drain under them due to the nature of a pontoon deck but I can not wrap my head around a closed end seat compartment literately getting this amount of water in them. look forward to others opinions or what success they have had dealing with this issue?

We have a 2017 Swingback and are getting a lot of water inside 3 of the seating compartments. Today we had over an inch in one of the seats and it’s starting to smell. Spending an hour soaking up water is not a good start to a day of boating. The boat has never been uncovered and we even take the time to cinch down the cover around the Bimini struts. The only thing I can think of is the cover must leak like crazy. Anyone else experiencing this on a newer Benny? I need some data when I talk to my dealer because I already know they tell me it’s normal. Their standard MO.
We Are having the same issue on our 2018 swing back what did the dealer do to correct it?

Also have a 2018 swing back and toweled out water from the seats all season. Find it interesting that others have the same issue

Check drain holes. They need to be drilled low in the corners. The cover is water resistant just as stated. If it was water “proof” and you had moisture in boat, and covered, you’d be dealing with mildew issues.
Remember, these are boats, not cars, or live aboards, so they are not designed with the same amount of water intrusion resistance. Ask your dealer to drill a few more drain holes around the base and see how that works.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you're having a problem with water intrusion. I can tell you that it's not the case with all Bennington's as my boat sits in the water all season long with my compartments remaining dry. Welcome to the forum and post some pictures of your boat.

Brand new boat and yes I have water leaking into the front seating compartments and onto the radio that is no longer working. Hope my dealer can resolve these issues but would think that Bennington would have not created these situations in the first place. Boats are exposed to water and need to be designed to have water only where it should be.

Back