Wave damage

supiper

Reaction score
Riding on the St. Lawrence River, our SXP21 was hit by a wave. The panel on the front gate was knocked right out of the gate structure and the front wall was severely dented. Should warranty cover this? Boat is 3 weeks old.

Riding on the St. Lawrence River, our SXP21 was hit by a wave. The panel on the front gate was knocked right out of the gate structure and the front wall was severely dented. Should warranty cover this? Boat is 3 weeks old.
NO. That's on you and your insurance. Sorry to hear but if you got "hit" by a wave, not warranty. If you were in a wreck with a 3 week old car, would it be warranty?

NO. That's on you and your insurance. Sorry to hear but if you got "hit" by a wave, not warranty. If you were in a wreck with a 3 week old car, would it be warranty?

Correct. Sounds like you stuffed the bow. Insurance claim, not warranty.

Oh man! Let us know how much damage was done. Curious. (Money wise) We've been out when it's been pretty rough and have had waves come towards us but have always taken then at an angle or have sped up or have slowed down to hit them where it wouldn't do any damage.....

Sorry to hear this.

A large yacht went by in an already turbulent area under the 1000 Islands Bridge. I turned 45 degrees into it and slowed to a crawl. I am starting to think I should have kept my speed up to keep the bow high. It just seemed that the natural thing to do was slow down. I've only used it for about a week! First boat!

Yes, I've always had better luck keeping my speed up and riding the top of the wakes. Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Bummer for sure but as others have indicated, that is an insurance claim. Contact your agent and get an estimate but hopefully you can still enjoy her the rest of the summer and then have fixed this fall. Sounds like you're learning the ropes in a very challenging area so don't feel too bad. I'm sure you'll handle it sucessfully the next time.

Bummer! Damn big boats.

A large yacht went by in an already turbulent area under the 1000 Islands Bridge. I turned 45 degrees into it and slowed to a crawl. I am starting to think I should have kept my speed up to keep the bow high. It just seemed that the natural thing to do was slow down. I've only used it for about a week! First boat!

Did you happen to get the registration of the yacht? They are responsible for their wake, and perhaps a case could be made insurance-wise.

Did you happen to get the registration of the yacht? They are responsible for their wake, and perhaps a case could be made insurance-wise.

tcpip95, right, owner is responsible for their wake but to play devil's advocate (and someone with more legal background than me can respond); "I turned 45 degrees into it and slowed to a crawl." My defense would begin with, 'you purposely turned into my wake; therefore, you purposely put yourself and your boat in harms way?'

supiper, I do hate that for you guys. I'm new to owning vs renting. Last one I rented cost me an extra $50 for putting the prop in the bottom and scuffing it pretty good and a $75 learning experience with my anchor light on my new boat.

The narrows can be a pretty treacherous place on the weekends with the current and large vessels running around. Last I knew there was a 30 mph speed limit through there, or perhaps thats just closer to Alexandria Bay. Anyway, sorry to hear about your issues. Even taking a big wake on the quarter won't help a lot if your heading into a 4 to 5 foot curl tossed off the back of some of those bigger boats when they're up on a plane.

Seems these boats can't take a wave hitting the panels. I was hit at a 45 degree wave while in the 3 feet of water. Totally destroyed the front port side panel. Worse damage U have had to a boat in over 40 years of boating. Here is a photo. 2017 2275 ESP Tritoon20190323_123008.jpg

BobR, that's certainly a bummer! You must boat on some pretty big water to take a hit like that with a tri-toon. I can't even imagine coming across a monster wave like that.

Hopefully your boat insurance deductible is reasonable. Good luck with the repairs.

Ouch. I found that here in FL it is better to take the bigger waves more parallel vs the 45 degree rule. I still come in at a slight angle but not 45 degrees. And I'm dealing with 60'+ boats where I'm at.

Seems these boats can't take a wave hitting the panels. I was hit at a 45 degree wave while in the 3 feet of water. Totally destroyed the front port side panel. Worse damage U have had to a boat in over 40 years of boating. Here is a photo. 2017 2275 ESP TritoonView attachment 24382

Take your seat out, get a Formica “j” roller and gently roll the panel. You may be able to get it to look “half” decent till you replace it. Bad news is you gotta get the fence and panel together ... the panels crimped into the fence.

get a Formica “j” roller and gently roll the panel.

That is a fabulous idea! Do you know if it works for small dings? Dime size to quarter size?

Back