Wave Shield Modification to Pontoon

H2GO

Reaction score
I just picked up three 4x10 foot sheets of .063 5052 aluminum. I have access to a brake and bender so this job should go pretty smooth. I got the 10 foot sheets so I can cut each to 60 inches in length and add a bend at each end to fit snug between the logs. The struts are 24 inches apart so it makes this a super easy task.............until I get to the custom cutting around the transom. Thinking of going with self drilling stainless fasteners so I can easily remove a panel if necessary. Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I on the right track?

Sounds about right. I would thread a few holes and install some bolts with locktite just in case, self tappers can back out with the vibration, wouldnt want a piece falling off at speed. Are you going to overlap or butt the joints, might hit that on the brake.

That's the way I did it, using tek screws instead of rivets. Paid off later when I installed a different fish finder and needed to remove a panel for the transducer cable. I didn't have access to a brake so the panels are flat and only as wide as the mounting brackets for the pontoons. I haven't had any issues with the exposed plywood directly above the logs getting wet but since you have a brake available you might as well add the bend. Was faster and easier to have two drills on hand even though tek screws are self-drilling, using one for a pilot hole and the other with a socket bit to drive the screws. Working alone was a bit of a trick but using the expanding poles for the playpen cover worked really well to hold the panels up while drilling.

Too bad Photobucket ruined all the forum's pictures, I had lots of them posted on here in another thread for the install.

Photobucket.... what a joke. :-(

He's not kidding! He had one heck of a tutorial on it! Damn you photbucket!!!!

That's the way I did it, using tek screws instead of rivets. Paid off later when I installed a different fish finder and needed to remove a panel for the transducer cable. I didn't have access to a brake so the panels are flat and only as wide as the mounting brackets for the pontoons. I haven't had any issues with the exposed plywood directly above the logs getting wet but since you have a brake available you might as well add the bend. Was faster and easier to have two drills on hand even though tek screws are self-drilling, using one for a pilot hole and the other with a socket bit to drive the screws. Working alone was a bit of a trick but using the expanding poles for the playpen cover worked really well to hold the panels up while drilling.

Too bad Photobucket ruined all the forum's pictures, I had lots of them posted on here in another thread for the install.
Is there no way you can repost the pictures or did you not have back up photos in another location.

I suppose it's possible, unlike other forums it looks like this one allows editing of posts no matter how old they are. It would take some time to migrate the pics to another hosting site and fix the threads. I just got so disgusted with PB I kind of gave up on fixing what they messed up. What's the current preferred method people are using to post pics? One of my other forums allows users to directly attach pics to a post without third party hosting. Is that an option here? I haven't tried it but was wondering if the "upload a file" box is for that purpose.

Yes, you can now upload pictures directly from your computer. No more third-party hosting required. So simple, even I can do it! Seriously!

hapehour did this to his boat as well before he sold it and moved on to other things.

Back