Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Wave Shield Modification to Pontoon

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by H2GO, Mar 5, 2018.

1. H2GO

H2GO Well-Known Member

I just picked up three 4x10 foot sheets of .063 5052 aluminum. I have access to a brake and bender so this job should go pretty smooth. I got the 10 foot sheets so I can cut each to 60 inches in length and add a bend at each end to fit snug between the logs. The struts are 24 inches apart so it makes this a super easy task.............until I get to the custom cutting around the transom. Thinking of going with self drilling stainless fasteners so I can easily remove a panel if necessary. Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I on the right track?

lakeliving likes this.
  2. mattb

mattb Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. I would thread a few holes and install some bolts with locktite just in case, self tappers can back out with the vibration, wouldnt want a piece falling off at speed. Are you going to overlap or butt the joints, might hit that on the brake.

H2GO likes this.
  3. Maynard G. Krebs

Maynard G. Krebs Well-Known Member

That's the way I did it, using tek screws instead of rivets. Paid off later when I installed a different fish finder and needed to remove a panel for the transducer cable. I didn't have access to a brake so the panels are flat and only as wide as the mounting brackets for the pontoons. I haven't had any issues with the exposed plywood directly above the logs getting wet but since you have a brake available you might as well add the bend. Was faster and easier to have two drills on hand even though tek screws are self-drilling, using one for a pilot hole and the other with a socket bit to drive the screws. Working alone was a bit of a trick but using the expanding poles for the playpen cover worked really well to hold the panels up while drilling.

Too bad Photobucket ruined all the forum's pictures, I had lots of them posted on here in another thread for the install.

lakeliving, cwag911 and H2GO like this.
  4. goldnrod24

goldnrod24 Moderator

Photobucket.... what a joke. :-(

Spoiledrotten, lakeliving and cwag911 like this.
  5. Rockie69

Rockie69 Well-Known Member

He's not kidding! He had one heck of a tutorial on it! Damn you photbucket!!!!

Spoiledrotten likes this.
  6. 2fast4u

2fast4u Active Member

Is there no way you can repost the pictures or did you not have back up photos in another location.

7. Maynard G. Krebs

I suppose it's possible, unlike other forums it looks like this one allows editing of posts no matter how old they are. It would take some time to migrate the pics to another hosting site and fix the threads. I just got so disgusted with PB I kind of gave up on fixing what they messed up. What's the current preferred method people are using to post pics? One of my other forums allows users to directly attach pics to a post without third party hosting. Is that an option here? I haven't tried it but was wondering if the "upload a file" box is for that purpose.

Vikingstaff likes this.
  8. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

Yes, you can now upload pictures directly from your computer. No more third-party hosting required. So simple, even I can do it! Seriously!

9. Maynard G. Krebs

Good to know, thanks.

10. 2fast4u

2fast4u Active Member

Please, Please try to re post the pictures. I am planing on under skining my pontoon boat in the next few weeks and this would help me as well as others wanting to do the same, Thanks

11. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

hapehour did this to his boat as well before he sold it and moved on to other things.

12. 2fast4u

2fast4u Active Member

does anybody have any DIY pictures of wave shild installation they can post up, Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  13. 2fast4u

2fast4u Active Member

need pictures please.