Wave shield project

good video jsfb6pts

I do not deserve the credit for that ,it goes to Maynard G Krebs .I just moved it from one topic to another .

It is a good video .It convinced me to add a wave shield to my order .

We finally got the boat in it`s summer dock. We had a chance to run the boat with the new waveshield for about 15 mins before setting it back in it`s dock. First impression, it seemed a little more planted side to side and I picked up 2 mph. Now I pick up 32mph on gps with 2 ppl on board, before it was 30.3 mph. As soon as we get back out I will put it through its paces and let you all know what I think. I will also get a video of the underside and post the youtube link for all to see...

---Underside of boat

---Closer view

---Dockside...

Hapehour, please explain what you mean planted side to side, stable or lopsided?

Stable. It`s been a little while sense we were last on the boat, but from what i remember about the way my boat rode in the water last summer it seems more stable laterally. It feels a little quicker to go back to a level stance when you rock side to side in the rollers. I will admit that was a horrible explanation..lol I guess its more of a feeling than anything else. I was surprised about the extra 2mph, i was not really expecting that. I was under the assumption that the benefits of the shield would only come into play when you were loaded down but I may be wrong. When I get a chance to wring it out I will post my thoughts, hopefully a little better than this..HAPEHOUR

Here is a link to the video I promissed that I took of the underside of my 22sslx. I installed a wave shield and wanted to see what kind of a job it does. Had I seen this last year I would`t have waited to install it.I picked up more speed and smoothed out the ride. This toon has the 32'' elliptical toons with lifting streaks. We ran the boat from 0 up to 30mph and got it up on plane for about 10 sec, I didn't really trim it out all that well to get it right up on the rails but I think you will get the idea.

HAPEHOUR

@Hapehour i've been reading this post over and over for a year now :)  Going to do it this spring...  I have a question about the conduit part of your project.  What kind of screws did you use to fasten the brackets?  I'm assuming stainless wood screws?  What size?  I'm worried about protruding through the deck, or going too short and slipping out...  Does anyone know the thickness of the deck and what screws would be recommended to attach with?

Thanks!

He sold the boat last year so not sure you'll get a response. The wave shield is fastened to the cross members instead of the deck.

Yea, that part I plan to rivet, but his conduit he ran to each side was screwed into the wood.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what size screws I should use, or what the thickness of the deck wood is.

The deck is 3/4".

The pics are gone.

wonder which is best ss rivets or ss screws for this project if I attempt to try it? Also what gauge metal should I use? Wonder how thick the bennington oem wave shield is? Thanks Guys

On the SPS, the gauge is .110 which is around 28 Ga. for aluminum. You might go a little thicker for a two tube or tighter spacing on your fasteners. The corner pieces at the tubes are heavier gauge I couldn't get to to mic. Personally, I would use #10 or 1/4" X 1 pan head self tapping screws just to make life easier. If you can get a fab shop to pre bend some sheets and then just screw them in place you'd probably be fine.

Back