Wet back rest right side just fore of door with cover on

Boatingbob

Reaction score
Last time I went to the boat, which had been covered and snapped down everywhere, I found the backrest just fore of the right door to be water logged and a little water beneath that seat and only that seat. Just a little water beneath the seat, but the back rest was quite water logged.

My guess is that water leaked through the stock cover onto the back rest.

Other thoughts about the source?

Plan today is to spray the cover with Camp Dry.

Other thoughts about treating this problem?

Thanks.

Bob

Could be anything from leakage to condensation. You'll need to do some investigating over time to see what conditions cause it, and don't forget to make note of which way your boat is moored in relation to the sun.

Still...

Try to keep in mind that it's a BOAT. Getting wet ain't exactly the end of the world. B)

Did the water pool on a low spot in the cover above that area and slowly leak through? That happened to me and I had to adjust my poles to eliminate the low spot. Unfortunately the weight of the water stretched the cover a little in that area so I may end up getting an additional pole and propping that spot up a little.

I have no puddling or low spots in my cover yet it leaks near the driver seat and between the lounge chairs right in the area where the carpet ends (just before the vinly floor starts). I can see no visible gap, but I am thinking the thread seams in those areas must be weak or gapping enough to let water in. It's been enough of a pain that I am going to pursue a warranty cover replacement in the spring. Other than those two spots the rest of the boat stays very dry. Love the boat, quality is great but I feel the cover quality is not the best. model = 2250 RCW, 2010 leftover purchased in 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my impression as well, that water leaked through the seams. There was no pooling.

Yesterday we went to the boat for a ride only to watch a cat speed out from under the cover and off the dock. I sprayed the seams with Camp Dry, which has worked well on tents.

We'll see.

Bob

I have no puddling or low spots in my cover yet it leaks near the driver seat and between the lounge chairs right in the area where the carpet ends (just before the vinly floor starts). I can see no visible gap, but I am thinking the thread seams in those areas must be weak or gapping enough to let water in. It's been enough of a pain that I am going to pursue a warranty cover replacement in the spring. Other than those two spots the rest of the boat stays very dry. Love the boat, quality is great but I feel the cover quality is not the best. model = 2250 RCW, 2010 leftover purchased in 2011

Love the boat, quality is great but I feel the cover quality is not the best. model = 2250 RCW, 2010 leftover purchased in 2011
I will have to agree with this statement 100%. I am on my second cover in less than a year and after a rain the carpet has multiple wet spots along with the seats. I understand its a boat and its designed to get wet but...

I had the same problem this past summer. My old boat that I still have has a 30 year old canvas cover that to this day never has leaked. Then I get a new Benny and the cover leaks. I could see day light through the seams. So I knew about a product called 303. I sprayed it on and it did help. After I took the Benny out of the water for the season I went to see the guy who made my old canvas cover and told him about my problem with my new cover. He sold me a bottle of IOSSO SEAM SEALER for about $8.50 (made in usa) www.iosso.com

It looks like a liquid shoe polish applicator bottle. It is ment to put on both sides of the seams. I trust he is telling me the truth on this. I have known him for 30 years and has never lied to me. When I get my Benny out of storage I will put this seam sealer on and I will also re-apply 303. I think the 303 has other benefits to the product other than water proofing. 303 has a web site, you could learn about all the products they offer.

I had the same problem this past summer. My old boat that I still have has a 30 year old canvas cover that to this day never has leaked. Then I get a new Benny and the cover leaks. I could see day light through the seams. So I knew about a product called 303. I sprayed it on and it did help. After I took the Benny out of the water for the season I went to see the guy who made my old canvas cover and told him about my problem with my new cover. He sold me a bottle of IOSSO SEAM SEALER for about $8.50 (made in usa) www.iossa.com

It looks like a liquid shoe polish applicator bottle. It is ment to put on both sides of the seams. I trust he is telling me the truth on this. I have known him for 30 years and has never lied to me. When I get my Benny out of storage I will put this seam sealer on and I will also re-apply 303. I think the 303 has other benefits to the product other than water proofing. 303 has a web site, you could learn about all the products they offer.
The correct web site is: www.iosso.com

Back