Wet Sounds

It was the slow season in January . It was supposed to be built week of Feb 10th I changed the order on Feb 3rd . It was built the week of the 17th and at the dealer by the 24th .

I was the 4th on the load and it was a Tube Change ,not a part that had to be ordered .

I went from the Express to the SPS 200 which they most likely have in stock 

That makes sense although I have to wonder if they have the four speakers lying around somewhere.

So I found the wet sounds speakers for a good price. The xs-650 rgb's. All the reviews suggest that the wet sounds are loud and clear. We will see. I plan on listening to a lot of country. I will install them once my boat arrives. I will then be able to give direct feedback on the difference between the kickers and the wet sounds. I will probably then sell the kickers to make up some of the difference. Damn this forum...next thing you know I will be ordering a Q...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the under the seat rear speaker protection/sound shaping cover doesn't fit, let me know. I just ordered a couple from my dealer and might have the part number. Not sure if the Wet Sounds magnet is bigger or if they have them same cover.

Ok, will do. It will probably be Memorial Day weekend or the following week when I receive my boat.

I love Talking Audio! I consider myself a low end Audiophile that likes superior quality. with out spending $10K (like some car and boat systems)

When ordering my 2013 2550 GSR i ordered with out ANY head unit or speakers!

here is my thoughts. (everyone has an opinion right?) (

Kicker and the Factory head units are not quality. (try adding power to a Kicker Speaker and expect that speaker to handle power)

Wet-sounds is great high quality stuff but overpriced! I heard the same system Bennington puts in our boats from WS on a different pontoon and it sounded like (really Bad - sub was popping - needed tuned)

Think the wet sounds system in 2013 was like $1500 and only 500 wats.... (Not talking tower system here) Not only that most of the systems are not tuned! they get close and call it good from what I've heard,

So i went Polk Audio. and i did the audio system myself.

2 amps 1700 W and its blows away Any wet-sound system I've heard that was factory installed. (have not heard any custom systems yet)

I had a early post last year but i went with Alpine Head unit that is a 4v + pre out (IMPORTANT - I made this mistake with my Motorhome system) you do not want voltage drop from head unit to amp especially with a long RCA run.

Running my MM series Sub amp at 1 ohm and its like 12-1300 Wats and the MM 1004 (or 4 channel amp) is 125x4 to Polk separates.

I did want a single Subwoofer solution and polk did not have that. i picked up a new pull out xsss 12 Wet-sounds sub for $100 (normally $700) bought one of those speaker boxes that has the Tuff bed liner sprayed on it and stuck under helm.

so i have roughly just under $2k in the sound and anytime I'm tied up or what ever everyone wants me to play the music.

The Polk system was recommended to my by a Car Audio shop owner. He has heard my system. he told me that this would have cost about $5k at his shop. i did the whole install my self...

That said, Im not doing all this power for volume but rather quality. However if i want to i can almost create a wake with the subwoofer! (my Neibhor that used to compete in car audio was amazed how clean the sub woofer sounded)

My 72 year old cousin says this is really really clean sounding even at a lot of volume. I was about 200' from shore one time and he was on shore. I cranked it up. later he said that sounded like i was right there on top of the system with perfect sound

Although Bennington has some options with sound i personally feel they can make improvements and are lacking on sound and especially speaker placement.

Speakers need to be higher (Non tower system) being basically on the floor you do loose some volume and clarity. Think tracker does a better job of speaker placement (or there was a toon that had the speakers in the seats with a custom opening)

Also, when designing the system i didn't want speakers in the rear seating area simply because people have conversations back there and the sound can be overwhelming in that area. So used the factory locations in front and the sides.

FWIW - Match speakers with Power output and ohm level - crutchfield has a few really good articles on this as well as tuning a tunable system.

Crossovers - Use the amps for this and not both the head unit and the amp. I made this mistake - Reference Crutchfield articles.

New Speakers and Amps do need break-in, Sounds better afterwords - Refrence Crutchfield articles

Well I'll jump in on this. I'm far from an audiophile, but have been a lover of ridiculous bass and some clean car audio installs with my brother in my younger years, so I know I like clean music, until I want bass that literally makes it tough to breathe. Those that have experienced it know what I'm talking about! As much as you say that your system blows away any factory system, well I wouldn't say blows. First, the factory system is 940 watts (110x4 @ 4ohms + 500w sub) not 500. Next, on the systems that you heard from Bennington, are you sure they were the Wet Sounds 6.5's? I only ask because they were still using Kicker speakers with the Wet Sounds upgrade. I do agree that speaker placement is a tough factor on pontoon boats. Down at your feet does little for your ears! :) haha, I was looking at the amp you had for your sub, I see the distortion level is higher than say my SYN1 that I use for my two FA subs (850x1 @ 4ohms, 1000x1 @ 2 ohms with <.01%) the xxx is an amazing sub, cousin has it in his MB Sports boat. That is the cleanest sounding stereo I have ever heard in a mobile setting. Yes the Bennington stereo costs money, but as you said yourself, the stereo shop guy said he would have charged you a lot more to have the system you have, far more than the $1500 Bennington charges. So for people who want something that is definitely better than base factory, I believe it is a valid and useful option. For idiots(I use that term lovingly) like myself that want more and have the abilities to install many of these items themselves, sure, custom is they way to go. That being said, I know my system has cost me far more than $2G and I unfortunately/fortunately don't see it ending any time soon!  Oh a 4v pre outs are nice, one work around is the Wet Sounds EQ provides a 4v pre outs to the amps regardless of head unit power. I still have to figure out where I may add one now that they have faceplates available, the one I got from my cousin was only ever designed to be surface mounted so the "lip" around it was only about 1/32-1/16th and I wasn't sure my hand was THAT steady with a dremel on an expensive helm!!  As for your 72 year old cousin saying it sounded really really good, well I'd be impressed if my 75 year old grandpa could tell the difference between a cd and a record player!! Actually, he could, but he would think the vinyl had a clearer sound!! Haha,  (I am completely joking about this whole last part, just found humor in the 72 year old cousin for some reason, both sets of my grandparents have passed long ago) oh, and as for setting up stereos, SMD is the way to go!! Worth the money to protect your components from clipping!!

Chris and Derrick,

Damn, you have my head spinning...for me, the facts at hand are that I have a boat that is completed. Yet to receive due to water storage problems . It has the wet sounds amp/sub upgrade, but not the speakers . I have found the wet sounds speakers with the led enhancement for 15% off. I think the led component is somewhat important to me as it will accentuate the rest of the lights on the rbr. The wet sounds seem to be well liked ( maybe not truly the best but very good at loud and clear). I figure I can sell the kickers on eBay for a portion of the difference. It seems like this would be the best option for me. I am not particularly handy and I really do not have the time to do a major audio install. This seems like a good option for me. I suppose I could have left the boat naked and had a professional do the install but that would have cost me far more and likely would not have been noticeably better than the wet sounds product. Thoughts...

Okay guys, I've been wanting to ask this question, seems like this is the place. If you were going to replace the crappy Sony head unit, but keep the crappy Kickers, what would you get? $200 price limit. Eventually I'd be replacing the Kickers, but not yet. One step at a time...

I also have a 10 inch powered Bazooka tube with a blown amp. Do I have it fixed, or buy an amp and bypass the Baxooka and use just the tube and sub??? Are there amps that can do double duty, as in power the sub and power the four speakers?

I am certainly no audiophile but I can say every single person that's been on our boat has commented about how impressed they were with the quality of the wet sounds stereo.  I'm still trying to figure a few things out as far as programming options (too many choices) but other than needing to spend more time working through the manual I am completely satisfied with my stereo!

Okay guys, I've been wanting to ask this question, seems like this is the place. If you were going to replace the crappy Sony head unit, but keep the crappy Kickers, what would you get? $200 price limit. Eventually I'd be replacing the Kickers, but not yet. One step at a time...
Dan, I'm no expert, BUT, in all the cheap systems i've done, with subs and amps, the head unit in my opinion is just a gateway to get the music to the rest of the system. I personally (could be wrong) think that barring bells and whistles, as long as a stereo has the outputs available, you can buy a basic head unit if you are using amps/subs. Now if you were to be using speakers only, then you want a quality head unit with decent "speaker" output and high quality speakers. Back in the "kid's limited income" days, I had a el cheapo stereo ($29.00 ??), connected to a "100 watt?" power booster/equalizer, with Jensen Tri's and that thing sounded awesome. Now it was nowhere near todays technology, but I think you get my point.

You just nead to take the cheap stero "output" and boost and tweak it to good speakers............ (of course my knowledge could be totally wrong .... :D  )

On that note, the Sony on my RLi and the kickers are plenty for our lake. My wife always turns it down cause it's amazing how far that sound can travel .........

It's a catch 22, Good stereo + Cheap speakers = CRAP, Cheap Stereo (low power output) + Good speakers = CRAP ...... They gotta go hand in hand ...... I guess the easiest thing is see what the speakers are rated to, and get a stereo that will push that, if the stereo you have does that and has more left than the speakers can handle, get better speakers ........... Just my 2 cents....... :D

Just a side note, I did a 2000 watt system in my wifes GAGT with a FAIRLY economical Pioneer stereo, with 2-500 watt Kicker subs and 1000 total watts to 4 speakers/mids ..... And that thing would make you throw up with the bass it pumped into your gut ........

HERE'S SOME PICS OF THE CHEAPY SETUP

I also have a 10 inch powered Bazooka tube with a blown amp. Do I have it fixed, or buy an amp and bypass the Baxooka and use just the tube and sub??? Are there amps that can do double duty, as in power the sub and power the four speakers?
I actually don't think the Sony deck is "crap" it all depends on your expectations. If you aren't running an amp, then nothing is going to be mind blowing. As Dave had mentioned all the bells and whistles really don't mean much. Now sending out a clean signal does. That's the difference between a $29 deck and a $299 one. I had a Panasonic one many years ago that was a 4x80 deck. It had its own little mini amp connected to it. All I knew was that thing had an absolutely amazing radio reception!!  I've had Alpine's that I've enjoyed, had a solid feel to them, but many will say they are overpriced as well. If running to an amp, then yes 4v preouts are nicer, although in my boat the longest RCA cables I used were 5ft, so not a a lot of chance for power drop.

Now,  for the Bazooka, I've never had one apart, but I'm sure you can bypass the built in amp and use your own. For having only one amp do it all, you would need a 6 channel amp, then bridge channels say 5+6 to the sub, then 1234 go to the speakers. I would consider that AS-10 from Wet Sounds, she does hit pretty hard. 

Oh, and one thing to consider when it comes to decks, I'm sure you've heard people talking about "turning down the gain"on an amp. Well the point is to be sending a clean signal to the speakers,  not a "clipped" signal. Keep in mind that if you have an el cheapo deck, it too can send a clipped signal to the amps which will then provide that same signal to your speakers. A general rule is not to push your deck higher than 80% of its volume, unless you can/have checked its outgoing signal with an SMD tester or an oscilloscope. Even the best ear audiophile can not tell exactly how to adjust gains for maximum clean signal without one. They'll tell you they can though! Hehe

Kind of off subject (nothing new). You guys got me thinking now .... I might have to install the Boss Audio AM/FM/CD Flip up DVD player I have sitting idle, on the Benni .... it would be cool to watch videos on the toon .... and I could put a rear or front facing camera on then too .... Hmmmmm

Well I'll jump in on this. I'm far from an audiophile, but have been a lover of ridiculous bass and some clean car audio installs with my brother in my younger years, so I know I like clean music, until I want bass that literally makes it tough to breathe. Those that have experienced it know what I'm talking about! As much as you say that your system blows away any factory system, well I wouldn't say blows. First, the factory system is 940 watts (110x4 @ 4ohms + 500w sub) not 500. Next, on the systems that you heard from Bennington, are you sure they were the Wet Sounds 6.5's? I only ask because they were still using Kicker speakers with the Wet Sounds upgrade. I do agree that speaker placement is a tough factor on pontoon boats. Down at your feet does little for your ears! :) haha, I was looking at the amp you had for your sub, I see the distortion level is higher than say my SYN1 that I use for my two FA subs (850x1 @ 4ohms, 1000x1 @ 2 ohms with <.01%) the xxx is an amazing sub, cousin has it in his MB Sports boat. That is the cleanest sounding stereo I have ever heard in a mobile setting. Yes the Bennington stereo costs money, but as you said yourself, the stereo shop guy said he would have charged you a lot more to have the system you have, far more than the $1500 Bennington charges. So for people who want something that is definitely better than base factory, I believe it is a valid and useful option. For idiots(I use that term lovingly) like myself that want more and have the abilities to install many of these items themselves, sure, custom is they way to go. That being said, I know my system has cost me far more than $2G and I unfortunately/fortunately don't see it ending any time soon!  Oh a 4v pre outs are nice, one work around is the Wet Sounds EQ provides a 4v pre outs to the amps regardless of head unit power. I still have to figure out where I may add one now that they have faceplates available, the one I got from my cousin was only ever designed to be surface mounted so the "lip" around it was only about 1/32-1/16th and I wasn't sure my hand was THAT steady with a dremel on an expensive helm!!  As for your 72 year old cousin saying it sounded really really good, well I'd be impressed if my 75 year old grandpa could tell the difference between a cd and a record player!! Actually, he could, but he would think the vinyl had a clearer sound!! Haha,  (I am completely joking about this whole last part, just found humor in the 72 year old cousin for some reason, both sets of my grandparents have passed long ago) oh, and as for setting up stereos, SMD is the way to go!! Worth the money to protect your components from clipping!!
LMAO, " Far from an Audiophile?" you are definatly one and one with more experience than myself.... BTW My 72 year old cousin still builds Stock car race engines that win and has a boosted Seadoo that rins 70MPH at ahalf throtle and a Redline that runs 127MPH....

So its nice to have a resident expert on hand. Everything i learned was eaither by making mistakes or reading or asking a professional.. my full Alpine system in the Motorhome had some mistakes like not enough sub power... (i see a do over in this area) as well as the inability to replace the speaker wires all the way through the coach or even ad a fixeed subwofer (long story)

I dont want people to get me wrong on WetSounds - It premium stuff no doubt but they are proud of it. the WS systems i have heard were in a Non Bennington with same system and another boat that its factory installed. Neither of them sounded great and in my opinion just needed tuning.

Your comment about sending clipping to the amps is the best discription i have heard. Spot on. I have my amps about 65-70%. Still kinda messing with the freq adjustments. So, since you had a great discription of the sending clipping to amps what would be your definition of Cliping (so i dont basterdize it and so everyone else knows - i feel this is an important thing)

What is a SYN1 and a SMD?

that said, my system sounds really good. its not perfict. Like the speaker wires have not been upgraded yet due to not knowing how to run them through the boat (thats going to be another project) However, I had thought of some of the larger 7' or 8" speakers even wet sounds. When designing my system i started of with Simple in mind and quickly passed that. I was looking at best marine systems out there and matching RMS power to speakers. Largest problem was that i wanted a single subwoofer solution because i didnt want to cut into the nice vynal on a brand new boat. The WS XXXS was the only solution i could find that would work with a lot of power. seems like everyone wanted to use multiple subs to make the math work out. I had a few guys recomend Rockford but i have never been a huge RF fan but understand a lot really love them.

I have a friend that just bought a Brand New Formula 350 CBR with JL Audio and i can wait to hear it. I may have gone this way but felt EXPENSIVE and not that much power IIRC.

Usefull conversation!

I will have to disagree on my "knowledge" level. I am a good researcher for the things I like, and a decent regurgitater on things I'm told. The SYN1 is an amp formerly made by Wet Sounds. It throws out amazing power, and clean. I have to turn it way down as it will totally blow my subs apart! Haha as for the clipping, I know it is better to actually have more RMS power available from your amp then the speakers can handle. Speakers don't usually blow as much from having too much power as often as they blow from having an amp that doesn't have enough power so it trys to give it all and you get a distorted signal (clipped) which is shown on an oscilloscope as flat tops and bottoms on a sine wave. A properly tuned amp will give even, smooth waves.  That may not be the best technical explanation, but it's how I understand it. 

The SMD is a distortion detector, I believe it stands for Steve Meade Designs. Basically it is an oscilloscope but without the display. It simply has a light. You put a cd in your deck that has a bunch of tones (unplug your speaker wires) and you just adjust it till the light comes on, then back it off a little. Done. Super simple. (it has rca plugs that you plug each output into) 

I never had much luck with  RF in my car for a sub. My cousin has the Wet Sounds 808's in his boat and absolutely raves about them. Once again, I was just fooling with the 75 year old comment

Jeez, my Wife doesn't want me having the stereo on, as she wants to listen to birds, frogs, and all of the other nature sounds.  Actually, I really don't mind that at all.

Derrick,

So for those of us with the Bennington installed Wet Sounds amp/sub/speakers, what steps should we be taking to maximize our listening pleasure? Do I need some additional piece of equipment or it just selecting certain settings on the equipment at hand? Thanks in advance!

Derrick,

So for those of us with the Bennington installed Wet Sounds amp/sub/speakers, what steps should we be taking to maximize our listening pleasure? Do I need some additional piece of equipment or it just selecting certain settings on the equipment at hand? Thanks in advance!
Well I'm far from an expert on the subject,  but the only thing I can say is get your gains on the amps set right, I only know how to use a machine, I don't have the amazing ear some may. Once you adjust so you know you are getting clean sound, I would have a few of your favorite songs ready and give them a listen, then tweak it a little to your liking. But make note not to exceed your previous settings. I really want to install the Wet Sounds EQ, especially with my tower speakers, as it will let you adjust each level individually. I honestly don't use anything for presets on the deck since I completely remove power after every outing, I would have to reset it every time. I don't use the bass boost as all it does is degrade the sound. I really haven't played with the deck too much, but I remember someone setting it all up on here, hopefully they chime in.

Back