Wet Sounds

Crutchfield has some good articles on adjustments with out a machine (google it - probably a gazillion articles on it). Thats how i did mine.. it gets it close. Got to understand whats what on the controls on the amp/s

I would love to try the Machine myself....

Did you Google it? Watch the videos. SMD distortion detector. It's only $150 at sonic electronix. Worth it considering how much one speaker costs. You could watch testimonials online for an hour easy, showing how much more people were able to get out of their system. 

I am using the stock head unit (non Bluetooth), stock kickers x 6, per Bulldogs recommendation went with the as-10 sub. I am also running the wetsounds 6 channel amp, each channel to a single speaker.

First impression:

AS-10 is worth the money. Better sounding then the bazooka 10 w/amp.

Has enough thump to rattle the side panels, gauges, and make a phone dance on the dash. The rattle does take away from the quality but being mounted on an aluminum barge probably doesn't help. (I am going to dyna mat the help and panels to see if that helps). Keeping door open doesn't matter so porting is not an issue.

Overall sound quality was not what I expected. Worse overall..

After playing with radio settings, I found a happy zone which was removing bass from the surrounds.

The installer did not use the supplied controller for the sub and was relying on the head units sub adjustment. After talking to wet sounds- they recommend there controller for precise adjustments which makes sense. I need this added.

I use the front audio input to my portable satellite radio. I found that was not as good of a connection cutting off half the speakers more often than not. That was what was killing the sound quality.

Sounds better when linked thru USB but my ipad isn't supported so I need to grab a iPod or upgrade to Bluetooth head unit.

Leaning towards the Polk or Wetsounds 6.5's with a equalizer next.

I hooked up a new Digital amp by Bazooka 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B54SIZO/

I have 2 channels running all 4 kicker speakers in parralel (2 speakers x channel) and I use the 3rd and 4th channel bridged to a 8 ohm sub that used to be my old Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX computer system!!!  

I pulled the sub out.  Disconnected the existing speaker terminals and tapped into the wire from the power cord internally directly to the terminals, Cut the plug from my power cord and used that as the speaker wire  B)

I previously had a Fosgate 400D marine amp, which surprisingly was not as good as this Bazooka amp.  I really am impressed.

It sounds clean and louder than I would ever want.  So much that I also just ordered some dynamat for that panel on the other side of the helm that rattles.

Only spent $200 on the amp (not including the marine wire to run power to helm).  

Unreal sound.  Very pleased.  Would NOT upgrade the kicker speaks...   with power they are great.

Kells, are you suggesting I keep the Sony head, use its preamp outputs, buy the Bazooka amp you linked to, bypass my old burned out Bazooka tube amp and hook the new amp to the old tube sub? Also keep the Kickers and parallel them? I'm intrigued... That's not much money, for what I'm guessing would be a big jump in performance (relatively speaking)...

Exactly!  

I have some experience with car audio back in my high school years, and i'm utterly amazed how powerful these small digital amps are.  I swear I almost returned it when I opened the box thinking it was a joke because of it's size.

I also have a MBQuart 6 channel amp on order that I should have this weekend, just because I want to see if it will make a difference, but I really don't think I can or even need to improve over this setup.  It's embarrassingly loud and clear...  for < $200 I don't think you go wrong.

There is a bass boost module similar to the one you have on the Wetsounds AS10, or any Rockford Fosgate amp (Remote punch) which is real handy.  I havent found a permanent place to mount it yet because I still have to test the MB Quart amp.

I set channel 3/4 bridged to the Sub on LOW PASS, the other 2 channels with the speakers and set on FLAT (NO EQ) or HIGH and just trim the EQ to slightly overlap the Subs EQ so there is no loss of frequency (Still tweaking settings).

I turned the Sony head unit up to 45 and adjusted the gains on the amp until I heard distortion, backed them down and called it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the record, I would have just done the Wetsounds upgrade, after the cost of running the wire, and sheer luck I had a compact THX sub lying around.  I'm still happy with what i've done, but I would have gone factory wet sounds given the opportunity.

Did you Google it? Watch the videos. SMD distortion detector. It's only $150 at sonic electronix. Worth it considering how much one speaker costs. You could watch testimonials online for an hour easy, showing how much more people were able to get out of their system.
I will do this at some point.... that way i can so how far i was away... i can do both the boat and the Motorhome...

Next is a cover for the Motorcycle.... LOL

Love the idea of the Machine tuning....

thanks!

Derrick,

Would I also need the crossover calibrator? Or just the distortion detector? I will have the wet sounds amp, sub, and xs-650's

I wouldn't worry as much about the crossover. That being said, I've never used it. The main reason I like the distortion one is because it protects my investment in all the stereo gear, from myself! Haha you know, for when you're showing off!

what ever happened to humming Zippity doo dah when your out fishing or just relaxing on your boat?

LOL God Bless youth. I just ordered a new 2550GSR am 75 years old have hearing aids still love my 33 1/3s on a good turntable and ordered the wet sounds subwoofer pkg for my boat and I will love it!..ps Im no audiophile.

Chris..awesome stuff. I am in the processing if ordering a 2550 GSR and need some suggestions as you have the same boat. this is how I ordered it and would love your opinion on what I am doing wrong, right or not doing. 150 Yamaha, Yamaha ling gauges, larger gas tank, elliptical salt water pkg, extra bow seat, 2 tone fence color, led bimini, elevated helm, teak seagrass floor, side and underwater led lights, garmin 50s gps, 4 step stainless steel ladder, ss navigation lights, I'm sure I left something out, naturally all the G stuff that's included, mooring cover etc. oh and the wets sounds with the subwoofer (I know your opinion on that but at 75 it's probably an overkill) if you find the time I would appprciate your opinion on the rest and most important how do you like the boat? Thanks, Joe

Sounds like a great boat but you need more motor.

I agree with Carl.

I have the 2375 R , I should have maxed  out . No big deal over 50 hp though 

I figured I'd add to the existing WS thread rather than starting new.

I just installed the HT AS-10.

I've got 4ga for pwr/gnd from battery to helm.  Dist block with 4ga to AS10.  16ga for remote turn on to amp. and $10 6' RCA cable.  I've got the Sony BT head unit (DSX-S310BTX).  I still have the Kicker 6.5s with no amp.  I plan on adding an Syn4 amp and maybe 650s if necessary.

I'm wondering about the settings on the amp because I'm not overly impressed by the thump until I really start getting volume turned up, but then it is to loud to enjoy the music.  I was expecting "my phone to dance off the helm" or see "the fence deform" from pressure waves as I've read in some of the threads.   I'm pretty sure it is in the setup because everyone says they love the AS10. 

Very new at this but...

I've got the Gain maxed out.  I then use the remote knob to adjust gain.

LPF is about 65Hz

I started adding Bass Boost, but didn't think it should be necessary.

I believe the head unit is default setting.  I was poking around in the setting a bit, but didn't change much/anything.  Tried some of the preset EQ modes.

Also, when the AS10 is turned on, I lose most of my radio stations.  Is this an indication there is something wrong or do I just need to re-route my antenna wire?  Obviously interference.  Very surprised by this.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured I'd add to the existing WS thread rather than starting new.

I just installed the HT-AS10.

I've got 4ga for pwr/gnd from battery to helm.  Dist block with 4ga to AS10.  16ga for remote turn on to amp. and $10 6' RCA cable.  I've got the Sony BT head unit (DSX-S310BTX).  I still have the Kicker 6.5s with no amp.  I plan on adding an Syn4 amp and maybe 650s if necessary.

I'm wondering about the settings on the amp because I'm not overly impressed by the thump until I really start getting volume turned up, but then it is to loud to enjoy the music.  I was expecting "my phone to dance off the helm" or see "the fence deform" from pressure waves as I've read in some of the threads.   I'm pretty sure it is in the setup because everyone says they love the AS10. 

Very new at this but...

I've got the Gain maxed out.  I then use the remote knob to adjust gain.

LPF is about 65Hz

I started adding Bass Boost, but didn't think it should be necessary.

I believe the head unit is default setting.  I was poking around in the setting a bit, but didn't change much/anything.  Tried some of the preset EQ modes.

Also, when the AS10 is turned on, I lose most of my radio stations.  Is this an indication there is something wrong or do I just need to re-route my antenna wire?  Obviously interference.  Very surprised by this.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Bulldog can jump in here to. First your not going to get huge thump with a 500w amp. Im running 1100-1200 Polk @1 ohm. that thumps. Also from what i have read don't use a crossover in the head unit and the Amps. One or the other. I set the frqs at the amp. Suspect your Sony is a 2 Volt pre out. 4+ is better but not sure that will help thump (there are aftermarket output boosters). Not that familiar with WS amps but does the amp have a telephone line on it? Mine does and its used for remote gain. So if it too much thump i can quickly adjust.

Try rerouting that antenna. As high as possible away from other electronics and see what happens.

yea, im still lurking. 

Back