What are the best trailer guide?

See I'm the opposite and if I trailered a lot I would go with the tall outer ones. With the trailer going down deep in the water the guide is down low and barely above the water line, thus causing dents when misaligned. With tall outers they work regardless of grade at the ramp. The longer your boat the trailer can really get into some deep water. In my travels getting the bow on the bunks is no problem, it's the aft that wants to blow off the boat with any wind until the trailer starts coming out. The tall outers would eliminate this.

See I'm the opposite and if I trailered a lot I would go with the tall outer ones. With the trailer going down deep in the water the guide is down low and barely above the water line, thus causing dents when misaligned. With tall outers they work regardless of grade at the ramp. The longer your boat the trailer can really get into some deep water. In my travels getting the bow on the bunks is no problem, it's the aft that wants to blow off the boat with any wind until the trailer starts coming out. The tall outers would eliminate this.

This is why I'm so confused on what to get.  I agree with like the floating outers, but if there is wind, would they bend or possibly break off from the force of the boat against it?  

@Spoiledrotten  That's a good idea, but as I said in the post a couple above yours, if you have lifting strakes on all the toons except for the outside I would be scared of damaging them as they stick out more.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the winds are so hard they are breaking schedule 40 pipe you're in the middle of an F5 tornado!

This is why I'm so confused on what to get.  I agree with like the floating outers, but if there is wind, would they bend or possibly break off from the force of the boat against it?  

@Spoiledrotten  That's a good idea, but as I said in the post a couple above yours, if you have lifting strakes on all the toons except for the outside I would be scared of damaging them as they stick out more.

I don't have strakes, but I'm surprised at all of the comments throughout the forum about damaging the strakes. I would have figured they were much more sturdy than the logs were. I thought they would be something that would reinforce the toons rather than provide a sensitive piece that needs more care. Are the lifting strakes really that delicate?

I don't have strakes, but I'm surprised at all of the comments throughout the forum about damaging the strakes. I would have figured they were much more sturdy than the logs were. I thought they would be something that would reinforce the toons rather than provide a sensitive piece that needs more care. Are the lifting strakes really that delicate?

Yes, they are quite robust. Anything metal on metal is going to be a problem, so I was just worried about mine hitting the brackets.

LOL!  I was thinking of THESE floating guide ons that are made out of PVC!  What ones do you have?  Do you have a link?

I actually don't have any load guides. I only use my trailer to put the boat in for the season, maybe one mid season trip to a neighboring lake, then pull it in the fall so it hasn't necessitated the need to purchase some. The key I found was to not have the trailer too deep. That way the front of the toons can get seated and kind of hold it in place. Then I have the wife slowly back the trailer up a little more or I crank the boat up with the winch to the stops. When she slowly pulls out I make sure the boat will rest perfectly in the bunks. Works for us. The floating ones look interesting but I don't see the need to have them collapse if they are on the outside. Obviously if they are being placed on the insides you will have some height issues if they do not collapse.

Lakeliving you do it just how I do, But I have guides on the inside but it wont guarantee sitting in the bunks. Only gets me close. I back in as far as to see maybe the top of the front of the fenders to get me started then have the wife ease back while I finish cranking it up. seems to work well for us.

The dealer highly recommends that we DO NOT put guides where the strakes are, so that's why I was looking at outside ones.  

@lakeliving This is our first ever bunk trailer so it is new to us and we have seen so many people struggle with their pontoons and getting it on the trailer correctly at the boat landing that's why we thought guides would help us.  Especially if it's windy and that is often up here.  

Thanks for everyone's input!!  I appreciate it a lot like always!  Have some thinking to do.

If you have a choice I always pick the side of the ramp where the wind pushes the boat toward the dock. It is a lot easier to push the boat away from the dock vs holding the boat from blowing away!

You can actually add about 18" of height to the stock ones by removing the 2 x 4 and replacing with the PVC and a cap. You'd still have plenty of room between the top of the guide and the bottom of the deck. I wouldn't have it floating because of the possibility of it catching at the top and creating a problem, but if it's stationary, you could back quite a bit further and still be able to easily see it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing some looking, and the advice from here, I think we are going to go with THESE 75" tall!!  Should be good no matter what boat landing or how deep.  Hopefully anyways.

If the guides are outside the toons, then the width will be illegal.   We are already at the max with 8'6"  decks....

I don't think you'll be hassled with the extra width. I see people run red lights in front of a state police post to and from work and they don't do anything. Just bring a socket and if it comes up, take them off right there.

Well according to my state law, the width excludes any safety equipment, bumpers etc.  I will consider them "safety equipment"  ;) .

My trailer came with the outside guides.  I've since also put the inner guides on as well.  Pretty simple to center it up now even in wind.

I don't think you'll be hassled with the extra width. I see people run red lights in front of a state police post to and from work and they don't do anything. Just bring a socket and if it comes up, take them off right there.

I garage my toon once in a while to work on it...   Can't imagine it being any wider to get in the doors........  I too am not really worried about "legal" or not...  more just the extra width.....

After doing some looking, and the advice from here, I think we are going to go with THESE 75" tall!!  Should be good no matter what boat landing or how deep.  Hopefully anyways.

hma95 - I have those guides on mine and I have a tritoon with a center support on the trailer.  On a windy day, the boat was pushed up against one of the guides, I did get the boat on but the guide bent. I've been looking a lot and based off what I've read I'm strongly considering getting the 4C Innovations one.  http://4c-innovations.com  I read earlier in the post where someone had installed them.  I wonder now that they have had them for awhile, how they like them?

Most of the time I drop my wife off at the dock, she goes home, and I go back out for a bit.  I end up putting the boat on myself.  I like the idea a few folks had about keeping the trailer elevated, and then having a driver slowly back down the ramp to aid with the loading.  In most of my situations that would not be possible.  Our tritoon is a little too new to get trailering damage so I'm very interested in what others are doing.  My guides are just a patch where I need a more permanent solution. 

A friend of mine and I just installed the 4-C innovation's rails on his boat after his wife fell in the "cold" water trying to align the boat on the trailer. They are custom made to each pontoon and trailer. They are aluminum and very easy to install. I must say I was surprised how well they worked on a steep ramp with lots of wind. He did not purchase the latch and go which I think would be a great feature. The best thing about this rail guide system is his wife is happy that she doesn't have put her hands on the boat while he is loading it.

After having these a bit, what's the feedback on the 4-C innovation's rails?  I would love to see what the long term opinion of them is.

My trailer came with the outside guides.  I've since also put the inner guides on as well.  Pretty simple to center it up now even in wind.

I also have the outside guides at the rear of my trailer.  However, I did have the stern swing out on me in a bit of wind. The rub rail took care of the issue, but the guide was bent out. Had to have a local wielding shop fix it. Hey Randy, I just got back to CA after a week in Havasu. The next time I'm out, If possible, I would like to see what inner guides you installed.

Cheers, Steve

Back