What are the changes for the 2015 G models

You can get a really short lightning cable that basically does the same thing as that adapter. Here's a 4" one from Amazon. The only problem is that the iPhone 5 and 5s are taller than previous models, so the fit is a little tight once the connector is plugged in. It fits, but it's really tight and maybe not great when it comes to strain on that connector. 

I tried a 3 inch (30 pin ) cable with an adapter ,didn't work . Perhaps a 4 inch would, added flex .

31cwtJOTsGL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-to-30-Pin-Adapter/dp/B009A5EIWC/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408043429&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=lingtning+to+30+pin

The cheap ones that are not apple certified , are not recognized .

Currently I just use a flash drive in its place and run the Ipod on the Blue Tooth 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you ditch the 30-pin and just get the USB to lightning then it should work. I tried it with a longer cable and it worked fine but stuffing the extra cable in there wasn't very fun. 

Hopefully I can try tomorrow ,weather up here has been lousy since last Sunday .

Any problems with overheating on the new iphone?  I do have an old style ipod.  Would that work better?

Most likely not many have been able to try ,due to the adapter .

I am thinking  about getting creative with a dremel and the tray  

Any problems with overheating on the new iphone?  I do have an old style ipod.  Would that work better?
I did notice my iphone got very hot for the short time it was in there. I think an older iPod would be better. I've mostly been running my iphone via bluetooth and charging off the front USB as needed. Having it inside means you can't pick it up and look at it now and then. 

My son in law has a similar unit on his boat, uses a 4s and it overheats so he just uses the aux imput. He thinks an old iPod will work better. Jack let me know if you have any luck.

If there is an overheating issue ,I may not even mess with it .

My iphone also gets hot if the sun is hitting it, I usually just put it on the floor in the shade and it hasn't had any problems yet

When anchored I drape a towel over the helm to keep different items out of the direct sun.

I try to keep it out of the sun too.  My concern is if you put your device in the head unit, it may overheat.  iphones appear to get too hot, I would think a thumb drive would be fine.  No screen to produce heat.  As I state earlier, my son in law had his overhead in the head unit.  Maybe his screen didn't go into sleep mode?

The screen sleeps so I don't think that would be your big heat producer. More likely the processor is the culprit. A thumb drive or dumbed down mp3 player would probably be ideal. I have an old ipod nano kicking around somewhere that I think I'll get working again and put it on the boat full time. 

Nick, did you just change your profile pic? Love the new one!!

Shot a few pics of the cooler that is in the front starboard corner seat over the weekend.

100_0536_zps485e45d6.jpg

What we use it for instead of a cooler.....the big 15# navy anchor that is normally in there as well is "in use" during the pics

100_0537_zpsfd0af850.jpg

Thanks for the pics.  Looks bigger than I thought it would.  I like the anchor use or drinks for a short trip.

It looks like a livewell.

I don't think it's a livewell in the "G" series....maybe in one of the fishing models it could be.  Our boat doesn't have the bilge pump to fill a livewell nor the required plumbing to fill and circulate water through it......it does however have the stopper drain in the bottom.

The misty harbor boat we looked at before getting our bennington also came factory with a built in cooler.....to bad their build quality wasn't quite up to snuff for a 40K boat (maybe it was a blessing in disguise).

Back