What Boat Bumpers Work Best?

Woodnstyk

Reaction score
Just purchased new 2275 and anticipate delivery soon. Does anyone have suggestion on size and style of bumper to use. My dealer says to use the small round bumpers and the custom pontoon bumpers are not very good or reliable. Use to own a 26' Fiberglass boat and believe bigger is better except for storage limitations now. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

-Woodnstyk

Thanks to everyone who responded. Your comments were much appreciated and gave some great insight and options. I'm going to start with at least 3 large 8.5 dia round with one of them being a through hole type. Docking on my lake is usually pole style docks and can be tricky to place fenders. Thanks again!

-woodnstyk

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the large cylinder style. I keep 3 in my port lounger. There are also plastic hooks that fit perfect on the Benny rails.

Makes it easy to place them where needed depending on dock size.

The 3rd one I used up front when we go to McDonald's as the dock has I beam supports that I don't want scratching my front trim

I use the bigger ones. Main reason, I have a 10 ft wide slip and I do not want my boat slamming against the dock. BUT, I have also found them better when tying up to other pontoons. The smaller ones, if you happen to get hit with large chop, tend to let the bots rub together. Granted, if it's that choppy probably should find another place to tie up. Storage is in the two bow corner seats. Enough room for "other" things but I tend to leave it just for the bumpers.

Good to know I have 4 28" fenders from my 26' cruiser I traded in so I should be set.

(WILLB) what hooks do you have would be interested in getting some for my Benny thanks.

I have the Taylor made stainless steel fender locks. I love them. You do have to drill holes in your rails, but it is very easy to use them once you get past drilling holes in your baby.

personal opinion, I started with the ones Tom mentions, and I did not like the plastic feel or trying to find a place to wedge them on my rail. I have the stern lounge upgrade and I could only use them in the back corner. They work well if you have plenty of rail. I have 4 I would "donate" to someone that wants them. ( it'll be a few weeks as my boat is in storage 2 1/2 hours away.) just send me a PM with your address. First one gets the donation.

I use 2 sizes of fenders, medium size for docking and some really large ones in case we want to raft up.  They attach to the boat via EZ Fenders which I love and I had tried quite a few before I was happy

We have a winner... Thanks for playing. The winner is very shy, and chooses to remain anonymous until they have had a chance to speak with an attorney.

Good to know I have 4 28" fenders from my 26' cruiser I traded in so I should be set.

(WILLB) what hooks do you have would be interested in getting some for my Benny thanks.
http://www.basspro.com/Taylor-Made-Pontoon-Rail-Fender-Adjuster/product/1301150857/

I don't know if they had a generic version? I use the Taylor Mades. 2 years of regular use as we have several restaurants on the lake that we visit and each has a different dock. They still fit tight,no cracking, and have not scratched the rails.

My boat being the 25, my rear is always past the end of most docks. All I do is pull the pillow top portion lightly and push them down on rail.

Thanks Will

I think I've already stepped into this one...

Haven't used these yet, but I received them and they seem like really good quality:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Ribbed-DOUBLED-EYE-8-5-X-27-Boat-Fender-BUMPER-BLACK-/310934493614?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item486523d9ae

I think they are the same as:

http://www.amazon.com/Fenders-Bumper-Docking-Protection-Heavy/dp/B008IGRVBY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1397855320&sr=8-7&keywords=boat+fenders

Which seem to get really good reviews on Amazon...we'll see how it goes.  I figure I can't go too wrong with the price what it is...$69 and free shipping on eBay.

I had fender clips installed as well. 3 on each side. Makes it so convenient no matter which side I tie up on. I had my dealer install them- best investment ever!!

Ok I've got a 2375 and looking to get some new bumpers. I really like the one that have the rope going through the middle of them. I'm currently using three of the 8" bumpers. I lost one last year. But I plan on buying four of the 10" ones and keeping the 8" bumpers as spares. We raft up quite a bit and when we do keep the boat in the water we often get a lot of wake that could cause some damage if the boat bumps up agains the dock.  I've got plenty of storage so room isn't an issue. 

Have any of you guys upgraded from the 8" to the 10" and thought it was overkill?

If storage is not an issue...bigger is better. I have 3 10" x 27" Taylormade fenders (not bumpers) that I use for rafting up. I don't keep them on the boat all the time. But if I'm going out for a raft-up...I load 'em on. They're not cheap, but they're way less expensive than repairing something that gets gouged or dented. Tie tight, run spring lines, and use way more fenders than I think I need. That's my rules-to-live-by in a raft-up. 

We had a couple taylor made fenders (think they are 6") on our old pontoon and liked them so we bought some new ones that match the boat pretty close in dark blue.  As many have mentioned the taylor made grey clips that hold the fenders on the rail work great for us......maybe not for you with your floorplan.   Just get yourself some 3/8" nylon rope and adjust the fender for height and tie a knot in the rope (can be adjusted later if need be).  On ours we tied a knot for height then with the leftover rope sticking out the top of the clip then tied a loop in the end of the rope to use as a handle when retrieving the fenders off the rail.  If for some reason you do drop one overboard you have a loop to get your docking hook into......not that we have ever done that :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Amazon has the taylor made clips and the fenders for a decent price if you are a prime member with free shipping and no tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-SuperGard-Inflatable/dp/B000MJMQFQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1423086199&sr=8-15&keywords=taylor+made+bumper   <--- 5.5" x 20"

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-SuperGard-Inflatable/dp/B000MJKNVA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1423086199&sr=8-16&keywords=taylor+made+bumper   <---- 6.5" x 22"

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Pontoon-Adjuster/dp/B000MJKKKO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423086199&sr=8-4&keywords=taylor+made+bumper   <---- rail clips

As Will said Micky D's docks are a bit unforgiving at our lake as well as the ones by Taco Bell (angle iron - I beams - concrete pillars = damage if you're not careful) so everytime we dock up there out comes the large fenders and the 1/2" dock lines from the starboard lounger.

DSC01634_zps06ee4c64.jpg

DSC01630_zps3abe2af4.jpg

DSC09074.jpg

There's a McDonald's with a dock???

didn't catch that kaydano, that is funny.  Couple of years ago in Venice the Hard Rock Café is on one of the canals and it was filled with Gondolas which are not easy to maneuver, fun just to watch

Back