What did you name your boat?

The wife and I recently purchased a 2577 RFI. We purchased it with cash, and no financing, because we wanted it to be ours, not the bank's, and didn't want payments.

We purchased both of ours the same way. Didn’t like the idea of writing a check every month. It runs so much better with dragging payment books behind it. Good for you!

Hmm, you certainly don't look like an "old" anything...

We are naming our boat Dobby's Sock! If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll get it right away. For those less familiar, Dobby is an elf. Elves gain freedom when given an article of clothing. Dobby's owner was tricked into giving him a sock, and Dobby was freed. So, in Harry Potter language, our boat's name means freedom!

Our boat’s name is “Floating Point 2.0”. Floating point is a number format for representing decimal values in computers. The double meaning seemed appropriate for a retired software engineer. We haven’t had the chance to have the graphics created yet, since we just got the boat last week. The boat is a 2018 18SFX with a 60 Yammy, 80 lb Terrova trolling motor, Helix 7, and Power Pole.

Our boat’s name is “Floating Point 2.0”. Floating point is a number format for representing decimal values in computers. The double meaning seemed appropriate for a retired software engineer. We haven’t had the chance to have the graphics created yet, since we just got the boat last week. The boat is a 2018 18SFX with a 60 Yammy, 80 lb Terrova trolling motor, Helix 7, and Power Pole.
Welcome to the family, FloatingPoint! Share some pictures with us.

We are debating a couple of names:
Wine Barge - My wife likes wine...
Irish Red - our family is distinctly Irish, and the boat is red...
Nick's Girl - Nick was my father-in-law, so a way to honor him and the relationship my wife had with him.

Hmm... :)

We are debating a couple of names:
Wine Barge - My wife likes wine...
Irish Red - our family is distinctly Irish, and the boat is red...
Nick's Girl - Nick was my father-in-law, so a way to honor him and the relationship my wife had with him.
I think you answered it yourself. Boats are about making great memories with the people you love.

A fantastic couple I know got through a cancer scare, shortly after they bought a pontoon and called it "Making Memories". They decided to get a new boat and I had the honour of taking them for a ride on behalf of my dealer who is 5 1/2 hours away. Well that was all it took to sell them on the quality of a Bennington and they bought one. I know the first boat still held strong feelings as it was about the conscious decision to enjoy life. I told my dealer that he should make up a custom decal for it saying " Still Making Memories". I don't think he did, unfortunately once they were sold on it, the sale happened pretty quick. I kept thinking I should get it cut for them since my in laws have a vinyl cutter, but after the fact wouldn't have been as special I think as picking up your new boat with it already on there. Well, to end this long story about names, unfortunately the cancer came back, and this time it took a great person with it. I may not have known them well, but I know they were / are great people. When I told her I was selling our boat she instantly offered theirs anytime I like. The conclusion, memories mean everything. Sorry, kinda took off on that

BulldogsCadillac,
You don't have to apologize about reminding us all about what is important in life. My wife and I had discussed the first two names several times, but then when I added the third name to the conversation it stopped her...I could see the emotions cross her face and she was quiet for a minute. Then she smiled and we continued the round-robin conversation. But I think I know which one it should be...

Okay, this is probably going to seem a bit nerdy . . . I never gave much thought to a name for my boat. Good thing because I'm going on my 3rd one in 3 years. However, I thought up a great name but I need the NC boat registration folks to help out and they don't have a vanity registration system in place. I asked anyway if I could have NC-1701DD or any double letters from AA through EE and I would then name it ENTERPRISE. I'm sure most of you will get that! In case you don't, here is a little help. I'm sure I would "accidentally" add the extra C after the NC and lose one of the Ds at the end . . . at least until my first ticket!

Okay, this is probably going to seem a bit nerdy . . . I never gave much thought to a name for my boat. Good thing because I'm going on my 3rd one in 3 years. However, I thought up a great name but I need the NC boat registration folks to help out and they don't have a vanity registration system in place. I asked anyway if I could have NC-1701DD or any double letters from AA through EE and I would then name it ENTERPRISE. I'm sure most of you will get that! In case you don't, here is a little help. I'm sure I would "accidentally" add the extra C after the NC and lose one of the Ds at the end . . . at least until my first ticket!
Yep. You’re right. It’s a bit nerdy, but pretty good!

Back