What do you do?

lakeliving

Reaction score
I don't think this has come up formally so I figured lets get something started. I'm always amazed at all the different jobs and career paths out there. This will also be a good place to brag about being retired as well!

I'll start. I'm an Insurance Analyst for a large public gas/electic utility here in MI. My day to day includes securing, negotiating and handling insurance policies and their associated losses/claims for power generation, commercial auto, cyber liability and even some industrial banking exposures. It's exciting to get out of the office and see the various methods of power generation. My favorite is the old (100+ year old) hydro facilities on a river in northern Michigan.

I manage a "smaller" building material location. It's the original office though from 1916, so that's the cool part. I also do sales, maintenance, janitorial, deliveries, plowing, mowing, whatever it takes ......  :lol:  I love the customer interaction on a daily basis. I'm also a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt so that keeps me busy too.  :ph34r:

I am Senior Vice President, Managing Director of Employee Relations at Citibank where I have worked for 19 years. My team is responsible for conducting investigations of employee misconduct. Last year over over 1,500 investigations. Also worked in the automotive parts industry in  various Human Resourses positions for 11 years. First job was cutting lawns and then moved in to  bus boy and landscaper before college.

Last edited by a moderator:
Airline pilot. Six years to go! Started in the military, made the switch to the airline world almost30 years ago. Bev retired from a major automaker after 25 years in their accounting division, and continues to work part time for them as a consultant. 

I try to be as part time as possible (especially in the summer). My strategy is to basically retire, but not actually tell the airline.

Facilities maintenance at the Ohio State University..... there's like, a football team here or something?

retired ~10 years ago at 53....  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   before that computers with Digital,  bought by Compaq,  bought by HP -- last 10 years there, software, security, firewalls,  internet -- I've done it all in the computer world, hardware, management, software. I tell friends I invented the internet....  not quite but I was involved with early computer to computer communication. Still can't figure out when I got old!!

Yikes! Seems like a lot but perhaps not. How does that compare to your industry?

There are about 90,000 employees in North America, so when you think about it that way it's not crazy. Heavy regulated sector since financial crisis.

I went from gas stations as a teenager, to Vietnam fixing Cobra helicopters (1971) to working for Porsche and Mercedes (technician). Retired (had to) after back surgery in 2005 (55 years old). I hurt everyday.  :(

First job at 16 was temporarily at the XMAS tree lot on Camp Pendleton.  They kept me on to work the Country Store for 2.5 years until after High School.  Then got a job working for Printronix (dot matrix printers) in Irvine starting out as a Material Handler working my way up (and taking College night classes) to eventually an Engineering Technician.  Worked there 7 years total.  Went through the testing process and got hired as a California Highway Patrol (CHP) Cadet.  6 months at the Sacramento Academy, graduated and got assigned to the Baldwin Park Office in East Los Angeles.  Worked there for 1.3 years then transferred to San Diego for 3 years.  Transferred to the next northern office (Oceanside) and worked there 6.5 years mostly on the graveyard shift.  Transferred to the Mammoth Lakes Resident Post for 3 years.  Wife said enough of the snow (house was at 7,500 ft.) moved the family back down south to Temecula.  2.5 years there then got hit on my bike (yeah just like CHiPs) on Friday the 13th, 2003 when a 40' stakebed truck came across the double yellow lines and took me out head-on.  1.5 years of therapy, 10 surgeries and got retired after 18 years of service.  Started a small (which grew quite large) company building custom fishing rods (fishing was a passion since very young).  Everything I did was made to order.  Eventually grew allergic to the epoxies and had to give it up.  Kids all grown, sold the primary house in Temecula and moved to our second home in Lake Havasu City, AZ.  Now, I work (lol) 1 day a week for a couple of hours at a local golf resort for free golf.  Also help with weddings and other events as needed.  Not really work at all.  Married, wife is retired from banking and commercial real estate (although she still dabbles a bit) and have four grown kids (2 girls, 2 boys).  Oldest son was Navy for 5 years and now is a Chula Vista (CA) Police Officer, youngest son is a CHP Officer in South Central Los Angeles.  Both daughters attended and graduated from the Air Force Academy.  One lives in Seattle and the other in San Antonio.  Got 3 grandkids.  Have played drums for about 38 years.  Other than that my life is pretty boring, lol.

Worked for as a manager at US Steel for 33 years, and as a consultant for 4 additional years. Along the way I started an auto salvage business that I operated for 15 years while I was working at USS. I got promoted so I sold my business and bought my first boat. When I retired at age 51 I managed 100 employees and 4 managers. Missed working but I really like retirement. Ordered my 3rd boat last fall, { my second Bennington } Can't wait. Life is good.

Two many random jobs to list them all but my favorite was a 3 year stent doing highway construction.  My parents were none to happy that's what I choose to do with my bachelors degree.  As it was, it was very hard work and becoming more and more dangerous.   I then studied dentistry at  Ohio State  (MATTB).   Been a dentist almost ten years now and really like what I do.  Most of all it provides well for my family and affords me plenty of time to enjoy my two girls  and wife aboard my newest passion (my Bennington).  The wife accuses me of spending more time on this forum than working.....

I work for a third party assurance, testing, inspection and certification lab. I started as an engineer and I now manage our custom durability lab, furniture testing lab, and furniture flammability lab. I help write national performance standards for office furniture and participate in ISO standards harmonization for office furniture. I've tested everything from your office chair and desk to hair straighteners, batter powered saws, automotive lift struts and automotive interiors.

Graduated from college with a Bachelors degree in Administration of Criminal justice in 1983. Got a job with the Metro Transit police in Washington DC and started the first of 3 police academies in April 1984. Metro is the only Tri state jurisdictional police department in the country with full police powers in Maryland, DC, and Virginia. So certification in all 3 are required. I spent the next 28 yrs. patrolling the subway with so many memories (Good and bad) and stories to tell........ I could write a book! 

I retired in 2012 and my wife and I made the move from Virginia to our current home at Lake Norman NC. We had a new house built and once we got settled in, furnished the home etc. etc. we were like...........Now what?!? So I got a........."get me out of the house to stay busy PT job". I do wheel chair transports for a small local transportation company. I take the elderly and the handicapped to their Doctors appts. and pick up patients that are discharged from the hospital after surgery and transport them to rehab facilities or to their homes. I work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays so I have plenty of time for boating when the season starts............

Worked for our County Highway Department for 31 years. Retired at the age of 59 in June of 2016.My advice to all of you here on the Forum. Retire as soon as you can, obviously we all have a hobby. Don't think twice about it just go for it when you can.

30 years as an Air Force fighter pilot who hit mandatory retirement 3 years ago.  Now working as an investigator into misconduct of Air Force Generals and senior civilians. 

Retired 3 years now.  Prior was Vice President Human Resources for a division of Emerson Electric in St. Louis, MO.  Now we are living in southwest MO overlooking Table Rock Lake and love it!

Jack

Going on 30 years providing enterprise level software to newspapers large and small. Started out implementing systems, moved on to managing an implementation and support staff.

Lured to the dark side in sales as a sales engineer/consultant and finally regional sales.

Visited all 50 states and 14 countries along the way. 

4 or 5 more years till we can retire. If we could figure out health insurance, we might try it earlier. 

Brian

Retired automotive executive from a major OEM after 28 years and 3 months!  Last job was VP and Chief Customer Officer after working my way up the ranks from a trainee in 1987.   Fooled around for a year after retiring in 2015 and then started a real estate company.  Learning a new skill and occupation after 28+ years was good for the soul.  Keeps the mind sharp and the wallet from getting too skinny.

Truly blessed and am now am on a mission to give back for the second part of my life - which I hope is long:)  Lord willing...

Great to be part of this community even though I'm currently searching for our first Benny.

Banker since 1983, on the commercial side working with a portfolio of business clients the last 24 years.  A lot has changed in my industry over the years (as well as who I am working for) but have never had 1 day out of work.  Lots of manufacturing in my area, cool to learn how things are made.  I have gained a lot of respect for the owners of the businesses I have worked with.  I am blessed with a great client base in the town I was born in.  Boating has been my release all my life, switching to a pontoon a few years back and never looked back.

Back