What do you do?

I'm guessing it must be a pretty nice area. When I was 16, I worked a gas station, just off the interstate exit, by myself, from 7-11pm, Friday and Saturday nights. I didn't blink an eye when wackos, dopers, thug wanna be's would come rolling in. Just walked out with "Duke & Duchess" by my side.  :wub:

Now days, I wouldn't work there in a bulletproof glass cage  .....  :blink:

Unfortunately times have changed.....

It is a nice area about 100 miles east of Dallas called Lake Cypress Springs.

Unfortunately times have changed.....

Yup, I remember laughing when my parents said "I remember when .......". Now I understand what they were saying .....  :(

My first job is a dad to my 1 year old son.

My second job is Project Manager for a commercial construction company.

My third job is a Realtor with Re/Max.

My fourth job is a General Contractor for my own construction company. 

My first job is a dad to my 1 year old son.

My second job is Project Manager for a commercial construction company.

My third job is a Realtor with Re/Max.

My fourth job is a General Contractor for my own construction company. 

Busy guy, but you have your priorities straight!

Nice! That would be fun having a business like that! Where in TX? We were down there at the end of October. Considering a move to the Conroe/willis area to be on Lake Conroe.

Okay, I'll bite. Consumers Energy have a facility in Texas?

Okay, I'll bite. Consumers Energy have a facility in Texas?

Nope.... :ph34r:

There are a lot of energy related businesses in the Houston area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope.... :ph34r:

There are a lot of energy related businesses in the Houston area.

Many, many to choose from. Just seems like an awfully long way from home. 

Many, many to choose from. Just seems like an awfully long way from home. 

I haven't had any contact with my family in 6 years. It would be hard leaving the in-laws behind but being able to boat year round will make up for that. Plus they are retired so they can come down whenever.

I haven't had any contact with my family in 6 years. It would be hard leaving the in-laws behind but being able to boat year round will make up for that. Plus they are retired so they can come down whenever.

Maybe you could get Chip and Joanna to do a house for you!

I am a retired (Feb '17) Television Production Manager/Agency Producer/Editor/Creative Director/Host. Retired from Texas A&M University after 25 years. Worked at the university PBS affiliate station on campus. Worked for Armed Forces Radio Television Services (AFRTS) before that, in the South Pacific, Kwajalein Atoll, Republic of The Marshall Islands. And have produced travel shows for Travelview International. Now I freelance produce and spend time on my 20SLX at Lake Conroe fishing, creating social media content for clients and showing them how to leverage & maximize their brand. Or teaching the basic concepts of "branding".

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/05/27/texas-cities-dominate-census-bureaus-five-fastest-growing-u-s-cities-list

BTW....those Bennington videos......BORING!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that this thread sort of died out. Thought maybe i'd add to it since i'm sort of new here.

Currently I am a project superintendent for a commercial realty company that builds their own buildings then leases them. Large warehouses.

Nice! I’d rather be out in the field compared to a desk all day.

I guess I need to update mine. I’m now a Principal Risk Management Analyst for a large energy company headquartered in FL. Same type of work, just more of it to do!

I guess I should update mine. I'm still retired. :cool:

I have worked in the environmental engineering world for 32 years (2 companies). Mostly water/wastewater treatment and waterline and sanitary sewer design. I hope to retire when I have enough cash!!!! Hoping sooner rather than later!

I am a high school teacher in wild wonderful West Virginia. Attention was given to our state when every county in WV went out on strike last month. We were successful in our negotiations and caused a movement now where several other states are striking. The bad side is that I now have to work further into the summer and I have a new boat coming!! My husband (who got to retire at 55) and our teenage daughter will be burning up the fuel out on the lake while I’m educating the youth of America! Lol

I don't think this has come up formally so I figured lets get something started. I'm always amazed at all the different jobs and career paths out there. This will also be a good place to brag about being retired as well!

I'll start. I'm an Insurance Analyst for a large public gas/electic utility here in MI. My day to day includes securing, negotiating and handling insurance policies and their associated losses/claims for power generation, commercial auto, cyber liability and even some industrial banking exposures. It's exciting to get out of the office and see the various methods of power generation. My favorite is the old (100+ year old) hydro facilities on a river in northern Michigan.
I do what Andy did. Literally! Heck, I even have his old cubicle. For that matter, the truth be told, he got me the job. Probably not a lot of forums can boast of assisting a member in getting a job although I really should thank my dog.

Why you might ask? My wife and daughter had been after me for several years to give into getting a dog. However, I always had an excuse: our boat was not big enough and we didn't have a pet friendly yard (it was more of a forest).

Well, a few years ago after Sunday breakfast, my then eight year old daughter suggested that we go to the local boat dealer and look at the boats. I almost didn't turn in as I loved our previous boat.

That's when my wife and daughter came across our Benny and fell in love with it (16 person capacity, midship bar, etc.). The next thing I know, I'm a Bennington owner and guess what, I have to join the forum to get the extended warranty.

As many of you can appreciate, this is a great place to talk everything Bennington and boating in general so you spend a fair amount of time and get to know the people on the forum quite well.

Hang with me, I'm getting to the dog part! Anyway, although we live in a subdivision, our yard was mostly trees and ground cover with no lawn to mow. You'd think that would be easy to take care of but it was constant upkeep year-round and with close to 50 trees, leaves were a massive fall clean-up problem. Heck, one year I paid $700 to have them removed and when the job was over they said they under bid it.

Last summer, my wife announced that we're cutting the trees (or most of them, anyway) down and putting in a yard because I'm getting too old to be dealing with the upkeep and fall clean-up. Okay I says...

So last September my now ten year old daughter puts on a massive charm offensive to convince me that she really needs a puppy. Suddenly my former excuses were no longer valid and I began to feel like a frog in a pot being brought to boil; I never saw it coming and my daughter now has a mini-goldendoodle.

Then comes that cold winter day last December when Andy posted that he "was leaving", not the forum but the state in pursuit of warmer climes. Having known that I lived in Michigan and made my living in insurance, he contacted me about the job he was vacating and the rest is history.

And by the way, I'm thinking that my daughter now has one of the most expensive dogs in history...

Im a father and a firefighter.. wife is a mother and manages a few head hunting firms.. she makes all the money. Our new bennington will be delivered May 14th. I get to spend the summer with our two young ones while she works all week. We sold our last boat when the kids were born and are finally comfortable having them back on the water (ages 4 and 6). Summer can’t get here soon enough!

I do what Andy did. Literally! Heck, I even have his old cubicle. For that matter, the truth be told, he got me the job. Probably not a lot of forums can boast of assisting a member in getting a job although I really should thank my dog.

Why you might ask? My wife and daughter had been after me for several years to give into getting a dog. However, I always had an excuse: our boat was not big enough and we didn't have a pet friendly yard (it was more of a forest).

Well, a few years ago after Sunday breakfast, my then eight year old daughter suggested that we go to the local boat dealer and look at the boats. I almost didn't turn in as I loved our previous boat.

That's when my wife and daughter came across our Benny and fell in love with it (16 person capacity, midship bar, etc.). The next thing I know, I'm a Bennington owner and guess what, I have to join the forum to get the extended warranty.

As many of you can appreciate, this is a great place to talk everything Bennington and boating in general so you spend a fair amount of time and get to know the people on the forum quite well.

Hang with me, I'm getting to the dog part! Anyway, although we live in a subdivision, our yard was mostly trees and ground cover with no lawn to mow. You'd think that would be easy to take care of but it was constant upkeep year-round and with close to 50 trees, leaves were a massive fall clean-up problem. Heck, one year I paid $700 to have them removed and when the job was over they said they under bid it.

Last summer, my wife announced that we're cutting the trees (or most of them, anyway) down and putting in a yard because I'm getting too old to be dealing with the upkeep and fall clean-up. Okay I says...

So last September my now ten year old daughter puts on a massive charm offensive to convince me that she really needs a puppy. Suddenly my former excuses were no longer valid and I began to feel like a frog in a pot being brought to boil; I never saw it coming and my daughter now has a mini-goldendoodle.

Then comes that cold winter day last December when Andy posted that he "was leaving", not the forum but the state in pursuit of warmer climes. Having known that I lived in Michigan and made my living in insurance, he contacted me about the job he was vacating and the rest is history.

And by the way, I'm thinking that my daughter now has one of the most expensive dogs in history...

I wish I had enough pull there to make all the hiring decisions! But you got the job because you are skilled, talented and a have a good head on your shoulders. I'm super excited it all worked out for you. And if it gets too hot down here and I try to come back, go easy on me during the interview and put in a good word!! You had a busy 2017, hopefully 2018 allows for more boating days!

Back