What do you do?

Married to my high school sweetheart at 21 and graduated vocational school in electronics. Had TV repair business at 21, self taught. Landed a job with GM as a technician working for the Delco Electronics division at 25. While at Delco went to college and got my Engineering degree. Left Delco after 10 years and lost everything from my pension due to their bankruptcy. Found my current job with Panasonic working as an Engineering Manager and I love this company. My retirement is delayed but I want to keep working another 10 years. Need to stay active. I did learn marine upholstery and canvas about 6 years ago and have a shop to play. This will be my post retirement extra income. 

This probably sounds dumb, but what kind of sewing machine do you use. I've had an interest messing around with canvas sewing. 

This probably sounds dumb, but what kind of sewing machine do you use. I've had an interest messing around with canvas sewing. 

I have a Singer 111W155 which is a compound feed from the 1940's and it is an amazing machine. You can find them on eBay for around $400 without the table.

Spreading hate and discontent via social engineering. Divorce attorney. I have my daughter working for me. She will be taking it over and I am doing my best to retire.

Cheers, Steve

Spreading hate and discontent via social engineering. Divorce attorney. I have my daughter working for me. She will be taking it over and I am doing my best to retire.

Cheers, Steve

I need some help... My wife won't let me buy a Bennington... lol

I'm a strategic account analyst for a major medical-surgical distributor. My responsibilities include making sure we make money as well as our customer getting their product at a cost good enough to keep their business. So, I build and stare at Excel spreadsheets all day. Strategic accounts include accounts at or above $30M/year in sales. 

As a degree'd Electrical Engineer I spent a few years in hardware and software product development, systems engineering, and technical sales jobs, before totally changing tracks to IT. I've been a Senior IT Manager at Johnson and Johnson for 26+ years and done nearly every job in business unit and corporate IT, mostly in medical devices. For the past few years, I've led global data migration efforts for very large PLM systems housing highly regulated product documentation. When they get tired of old systems or the apps start to make scary noises, my team figures out how to extract the data out of the old dinosaurs, consolidate and transform it, then load (cram) it all into a shiny new application. These are many terabytes in size, millions of documents, very high complexity, all validated. The work is always different and challenging.

As much as large companies and working for someone else can be, they've been very good to me, thanks to a longstanding Credo that guides our work and actions daily (you can google it). I also get to work with a lot of great people young and old, who are waaayyy smarter than I am, keeps me learning new things and always on my toes.

With all that said, at almost 61 now, I'm really looking forward to being a "retiree in training" soon  B)

IT is where it's at. I have a buddy in that field and the opportunities are endless. I'm with you Tom. Big Business has been good to me as well. When you provide a value to the organization they tend to take care of you. I just negotiated and settled a $6.4m turbine damage claim so that should cover me for a couple months!

I need some help... My wife won't let me buy a Bennington... lol

Remember, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission".  :D

With all these fancy job descriptions I'm starting to feel a little on the simpler side of life!! :)

For my class reunion they asked us our job title. I listed mine as:

Corporate Aquisition Supplier Senior Executive Strategic Chief Head Lead Procurment Resourcing Director Catagory Scout Engineering Representitive

OR... Buyer, your choice.

For my class reunion they asked us our job title. I listed mine as:

Corporate Aquisition Supplier Senior Executive Strategic Chief Head Lead Procurment Resourcing Director Catagory Scout Engineering Representitive

OR... Buyer, your choice.

And it was at that moment you finally impressed Ashley, the prom queen. She instantly regretted turning you down all those times and staying with Brock, who for the last 16 years still lives at home with his parents and hopes to make assistant produce manager soon at the Winn-Dixie.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. They went with Buyer on my intro... nobody likes a Buyer. I'm too shy of a person to ask anyone out, and Brock got a promotion to Cheif Cake Baker and bought a double wide. He took an online course in cake decorating. 

And it was at that moment you finally impressed Ashley, the prom queen. She instantly regretted turning you down all those times and staying with Brock, who for the last 16 years still lives at home with his parents and hopes to make assistant produce manager soon at the Winn-Dixie.  

Airline Pilot, would love to retire tomorrow.  Plan to in seven years which is two years more than I planned, but due to the movement of our great nation to force people to work till dead ( or on the case of airline pilots until sixty five) movement in the industry stagnated for five years. So I will work two additional years to make up for lost career progression and wage increase. Don't get me wrong I feel blessed to have such a great career and I too have seen many beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I look forward to the day I will be able to be home with my family EVERY holiday. 

One thing I don't envy is all of you who don't get to spend every night and weekend with the family! I understand the cost of doing business, but I'm not too sure I could spend too much time away from kids.... wife... well she'd probably enjoy some quiet time with her and the dogs.... yes we have 3 of them! :)  

One thing I don't envy is all of you who don't get to spend every night and weekend with the family! I understand the cost of doing business, but I'm not too sure I could spend too much time away from kids.... wife... well she'd probably enjoy some quiet time with her and the dogs.... yes we have 3 of them! :)  

What quiet time? Are two kids are 28 and 26. Their around all the time with the +1 and others. Weekend are always great with them all. As for the dog, we lost him over a year ago. My wife said never again! To hard on her. Maybe when the kids abandon us. By the way, I agree about the not being together every night. But then again,a girls weekend isn't all that bad once in a while.

I retired from HP in 2012 after 28 years of jobs ranging from field engineer, network design and software sales.  20 of those years in management.  I was retired all of 60 days when I bought a smallish grocery/gas/storage/deli just outside the gate to my housing addition on the lake.  I also sell golf carts and drive a golf cart to work every day.  It sure beats all of the air travel I used to do!!

I retired from HP in 2012 after 28 years of jobs ranging from field engineer, network design and software sales.  20 of those years in management.  I was retired all of 60 days when I bought a smallish grocery/gas/storage/deli just outside the gate to my housing addition on the lake.  I also sell golf carts and drive a golf cart to work every day.  It sure beats all of the air travel I used to do!!

Nice! That would be fun having a business like that! Where in TX? We were down there at the end of October. Considering a move to the Conroe/willis area to be on Lake Conroe.

Nice! That would be fun having a business like that! Where in TX? We were down there at the end of October. Considering a move to the Conroe/willis area to be on Lake Conroe.

I'm guessing it must be a pretty nice area. When I was 16, I worked a gas station, just off the interstate exit, by myself, from 7-11pm, Friday and Saturday nights. I didn't blink an eye when wackos, dopers, thug wanna be's would come rolling in. Just walked out with "Duke & Duchess" by my side.  :wub:

Now days, I wouldn't work there in a bulletproof glass cage  .....  :blink:

Back