What happened to my speed?

Greg2017

Reaction score
I bought a 2012 RCW 2275 with a Yamaha VMAX Sho 250 last July 2017 with only 24 hours on it. I took it to the dealer a couple months ago and had them clean the toons and a few other items. One item of concern was that when I first had it, I was getting 46 mph easily with a full tank (56 gallons), with only myself on board.

I let the dealer know that I was now only getting 38 mph in the same conditions. He said it was dirty toons because there was some build up on them.

Well I got it back yesterday with clean toons and took it to the lake today.......38 mph on clean toons. Only running 4200 rpms at WOT.

Any ideas would could be an issue? Other than find another dealer.
Thanks for any help,
Greg

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 62
Can’t help ya on speed but nice ride!!!

Where’s speed reading coming from then and now? GPS?? Then again rpms are way down. Does engine run smooth?

Last edited:
What are you using for speed readings?

4200 rpm at wide open throttle is an issue, so something with the motor, prop or lower unit would be suspect. Did the dealer check out the motor or just clean the toons?

F5B68405-FC9E-4C2E-852D-A88B11B50578.png
I found an older RPM chart.

You need to figure out why the RPM is down, dirty toons may have some affect but there seems to be something else going on. My trailer queen doesn’t get any build up to compare but still seems like that may not be the whole issue.

Bass hawk is right. You've got a bigger problem than dirty toons. My boat (with a sho 250) is in a wet slip year round. Over the winter I don't clean the bottom and I'll usually lose 500 rpm and 6-7 mph but nothing close to 2000 rpm. That thing should be turning 6000 rpm wot. I'd get it back to the dealer. Sweet boat though.

In your original post you said 46mph with a full tank and only you. Yet you didn't say RPM at that speed. Was it 6000-6200? So your power plant was purrin' like a kitten at WOT? All the numbers where were they are supposed to be?

I, for one can hear a distinct difference in my motor turning at 6100 as compared to 4200! Big difference in the sound the engine makes. Throttle controller? What type you have? My gut feeling is throttle controller if your engine sounds good at 4200 and it sounded good at 6100 (46mph). Other than faulty gauges. My guess is throttle controller.

Also check for water in your toons from a leaky weld. I've had that happen before. It doesn't take a lot of water to add a bunch of weight.

And.... I hate to suggest this but check your prop and be sure that it wasn't "accidentally" swapped at the dealer for something else.

Btw, hello to the regulars. It's been a while. :)

4200 rpm at wide open throttle is an issue, so something with the motor, prop or lower unit would be suspect. Did the dealer check out the motor or just clean the toons?
He just cleaned the toons and said that it should pick up 10mph. I think I need to find another dealer.

In your original post you said 46mph with a full tank and only you. Yet you didn't say RPM at that speed. Was it 6000-6200? So your power plant was purrin' like a kitten at WOT? All the numbers where were they are supposed to be?

I, for one can hear a distinct difference in my motor turning at 6100 as compared to 4200! Big difference in the sound the engine makes. Throttle controller? What type you have? My gut feeling is throttle controller if your engine sounds good at 4200 and it sounded good at 6100 (46mph). Other than faulty gauges. My guess is throttle controller.
And.... I hate to suggest this but check your prop and be sure that it wasn't "accidentally" swapped at the dealer for something else.

Btw, hello to the regulars. It's been a while. :)

It is the same prop I had when I bought it.

Welcome back Chris Z!

After spending all weekend on the water, and the dealer being 3-4 weeks behind before they can even look at it, I'm going to start some diagnostics myself. I'm going to start with the throttle controller. If Neutral is straight up and laying flat forwards is wide open throttle, I've noticed that when I hit my max speed and rpm's, I still have about 3 inches before the throttle is actually flat. When I push it those last 3 inches, nothing happens, no additional speed or rpm's. I'll replace the throttle controller to see if that helps, if not, I can just return it and put the original back in and move on to something else. Now to get a 704 Yamaha single handle throttle controller.

Back