What is a Fuel Separator and do I need one?

SnakeByte

Reaction score
I did a bit of reading on the forums about this, but can't pin down exactly whether or not I need one.

My understanding is that ethanol in fuel is Hydroscopic and therefore attracts water into your fuel system, which can reek havoc and potentially leave me needing a tow.

Does my Yamaha 150 come with one?  I see it as a $100 option in the builder.  Is this something I should add from Bennington, have my dealer add later, or maybe it just comes with one?

I also saw on a must have list here on the forum to have an extra filter and wrench on the boat and at the ready?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank!

Jason

I never had one before but one came on my Yamaha 150. I thought it was standard but I could be wrong. I try to never use ethanol fuel and always use Startron additive in every tank, no matter what fuel I am running. It does give me some comfort knowing I have the separator.

David

It will come with one, if you look at your motor option on the build site it says it is included on all Yamaha pre rigs

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous boat had a 2013 Yamaha F150 outboard.  It had an external fuel sep/filter.   My current 2014 Evinrude E-tec 225HO has the fuel filter built in under the cowling so it does not have an external fuel filter.  So, unless they changed the order system since last October,  I believe you need to add the filter to your new build order.  Your dealer should definitely know if included.

I did order one for my Mercury ,

Yes, get it. (I thought its standard with Yamaha rug) It should also be replaced as part of your yearly maintenance. It's cheap insurance. You should also use Marine Stabil or Startron in your tank WHEN adding fuel. Phase separation can happen fairly quick with ethanol fuel and once that happens, adding it after the fact won't help.

Also see if your motor recommends Yamaha "ring additive". More cheap insurance.

My I/O has one...just like a remote oil filter.  I change it every year because of the ethanol in the gas.  Fairly cheap and a piece of cake to change it out.

SnakeByte, as others have said, a must have.  I also decided to take it one step further.  My boat stays in the water at the dock and there are plenty of marinas that pump the ethanol gas and most claim that it is designed for marinas and the gas is already treated.  We had a member on here that I believe was from Texas and was in the refinery business.  He commented that if at all possible only use ethanol free gas and your motor would thank you.  An obvious statement but I took that to heart and after purchasing three 5-gallon gas cans, I stop on my drive up to the lake and purchase a high octane ethanol free fuel.  I don't save any money doing this and it does take more effort but I do believe this is important to do and after all, she is my baby.

Thanks everyone for the great info.  Sounds like I'm already getting one on the Yamaha.  But now I'll be sure to get only non-ethanol fuel if possible.  Also, sounds like I need to look into the fuel additives, either Marine stable or Startron.  

Where does everyone buy their additives?  Also, do most others use the ring additive?

I get my ring additive at the dealer, Marine Stabil I order from my vendor at work. I get the big bottle, it lasts me all season, but I do only have a 20hp motor so I don't exactly burn through fuel ..... LOL !!!!

I use the green bottle of Yamaha additive. Prices seem fair. I pay around $18 for a bottle of Yamaha at dealer and it lasts me the season.

I think that's the same stuff, they just changed the bottle color.

I use the green bottle of Yamaha additive. Prices seem fair. I pay around $18 for a bottle of Yamaha at dealer and it lasts me the season.
Thanks SEMPERFI for the pricing info.

Thanks everyone for more great info!

I have posted this in the past .

Here is a sort able list where ethanol  free gas is available

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Last season ethanol free was $6.50 a gallon at the marina .

Premium ethanol free is about $2.25 less a gallon at a station 8 miles from me 

So this season while waiting for spring .

I purchased 4 - 5 gallon gas cans which will only be used for ethanol free .

Two plastic tubs .I then secured a 2x4  in the center of each tub .

This is how I will transfer this season .

Don't forget the Super Siphon .

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=super%20siphon&sprefix=super+si%2Caps%2C283

At current prices I should save about $40 -$45 each 20 gallons .

That's a nice resource Jack.  I do remember you posting before but since I passed two of them on my drive to the lake I didn't keep it.  However now I see a few close to home which will be convenient for my ride on mower and snow blower [that is if I don't shoot the snow blower]

I use the Yamaha. One thing to keep in mind, at least with the Yamaha's, most of their motors(200 and less) are designed to run on regular grade, not premium. So if you are running premium, then you should be using their ring free plus additive to help combat carbon build up. My last boats I always burned regular with ethanol, so used the Yamaha Fuel Conditioner and Stabilizer to help with the possibility of ethanol issues, this year I might just go premium and Ring Free Plus. See if it makes any performance difference. I guess last year with this boat I ran mid grade(89 octane), but that's just because the 250 calls for it.

Derrick ,just out of curiosity . Is there an ethanol mandate in Canada and if so is it the same as the U.S. ?

Back