what is the best motor mounting height?

2fast4u

Reaction score
What motor mounting height is best for a 2250 GL with twin 25" round pontoons? My motor is a Yamaha f115. Currently it is mounted as low as possible on the transom. Thanks

Don't know much about f115 but would guess it is a 20" shaft and not a 25". If so, I would think you are mounted in the best place. Have you checked out the location of your cavitation plate while underway? That would be where I would start.

just looking at the cavitation plate on the trailer it sits 2 inches below the bottom of the center motor pod V. I can go well past 3/4 trim before the prop starts to cavitate at top speed

What are you using this boat for? Do you have the aluminum underskinning on the decking? I think with a two toon setup you are going to hit your terminal velocity well before any motor height adjustments. I say this with experience as I had a 22 S with a 115, no underdecking but I did have lifting strakes. The water spray under the deck was very noticeable.

I use my boat for normal lake riding , no towing of water toys. NO lifting strakes , no under skin, Is it worth it to add the under skin to my boat? Thanks for the reply. Just trying to be sure i get the best performance and effecincy out of it,

I think it would help. The waves hitting the cross bars is resistance and noise. Eliminating this will only enhance your ride.

wonder if i can just purchase some sheet aluminum and cut to fit the under side or best to get the skin from bennington? Where can I see some pictures of a boat with the under side skinned?

Hapehour did a write up a while ago on his boat. He has since sold the boat and no longer visits but hopefully this helps
http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/wave-shield-project.2216/
Given your use, I'd say this will give you more efficiency than raising the motor. Especially with a displacement hull like a two toon, non straked boat.

I did it on our first 22' 2 toon boat. Get some help to hold the metal up. Used a cardboard template for a couple of cuts. Afternoon project.

I didn't have the wave shield on my first Benny (2 log), but I do have it on my 24 SWCX, and the difference is amazing. I'm glad I didn't know how much difference it would make on my first boat, or I'd have added it, then lost all of that investment when I sold it.

Was the results worth the cost and effort?
For the aluminum and pop rivets under $200. I think I bought a new pop rivet tool.
It makes a big deference. It stops the surging from the water hitting the crossmembers. Only hurdle was finding the sheet material. I had to go to Cincinnati to source it.

Back