What is the "real world" difference between R and G class Bennys?

Nautical

Reaction score
I tried the search feature as I'm sure this has been asked and answered already but it's not that great.

It's not easy to tell from the pictures and descriptions so I'm going to ask here . . . what is the REAL differences between the R and G class? I'm looking not for a salesman's perspective so much as I'm looking for an experienced, "end user" perspective. My understanding is that the S is entry level trim and the Q is the "Donald Trump" trim so that is why I'm looking only at the middle ones.

Aside from the R class possibly including features as standard that are options on the G, what else can I expect? Once I walk into a showroom, being my first boat and all, I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed with all of the different configurations, etc. So I'd like to keep things straight in my head by at least limiting what choices I can before I even walk in.

I thought I had things narrowed down already but then the popularity of the stern lounge configuration got me looking at those models. Here is where I was BEFORE that, based on research here, talking with folks, talking with salespeople and reading this and other forums:

2274 GL

2275 GL

2250 RCL

2275 RL

2275 RLC

2275 RLCP

I (think I) want the tri toon ESP package with a 250hp engine. I want the changing room (primarily to have a "head") but I do really like that 2250 RCL floorplan so if there is a downside to the changing room/head concept, I'm open to be convinced.

So my question essentially is this: If a G class were optioned like an R, what differences would be left to justify going with the R?

Feel free to comment/discuss any of my other choices or if you know of an older thread I can read, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have enough knowledge/experience to answer your comparison question. But I do have a 2575 RCWC with ESP and a 250 motor. I can highly recommend the ESP/250 arrangement. Not sure what the max motor you can put on a 22, but buy as big as you can.

I've pulled out my changing room material and shove my mooring cover in its place when running. Emptying a porta potty just isn't in my job description...and never will be!

As you know, we have an "r" series. Our boat was a 3 day purchase and the reason we got the "r" Suzi sitting on the different boats. Once she sat in the "r" the decision was made. It was much more comfortable than the rest.

To my knowledge;

They are built on the same chassis, logs, decking.

R has different helm, cleats, rear rails on the CW series, softer seats and cushions along with some built in arm rest. I think the G series you may upgrade the seating if you choose, just depends which is more comfortable to you.

There may be more differences and I'm sure others will chime in.

Steve

Cosmetically the fence panels go all the way to the top of the seats on the R also.

I think it boils down to looks, some extra standard options and $$$

It's also fairly easy to option a G up to or more than an R these days. From a structural standpoint they are the same underneath. The R offers a few options not available on the G such as diamond upholstery, but otherwise mostly the same stuff.

The best way to compare is the go the dealership or boat show and see the two setting next to each other. We ended up with the G and a bunch of upgrades.

This years "R" series is next years "G" series anyhow from what I have seen over the years. Just the options on top of the deck are a bit fancier but to me not enough to justify the extra several thousand.

The two most notable differences that come to my mind are the R helm (best in the biz) and the R front loungers. The lounger bases taper outward to meet the width of the arm rest, which makes for nicer support and is more comfortable. I really like the G helm and would be perfectly happy with it, but will end up with the R because my wife......#1 insists on the tapered R front seats and #2 she loves to spend money :lol: .

Thanks for the info!

We really like the helm and the taper to the front loungers as well! Much more comfortable. The fold down armrests are also hit too! Very good points B & S!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the r has closer cross member spacings than the g. As does the g over the s and the q over the r.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the r has closer cross member spacings than the g. As does the g over the s and the q over the r.
I believe they are all the same except the S.
Bennington_crossmembers.jpg

The G and R are the same from the deck down.

as suggusted above, go look at 2 models side by side. Why I chose a R? Ahhh. Cause the RCW floor plan was great. Was it also availabe in a G? Hell, I don't know. All I know was I wanted a raise helm, 32" elip tubes, lilfting strakes, waveshield, and all available LED lighting optionis, and largest hp that was available with with that model.. Im sure that helps in now way for you, but touching / feeling / seeing the differences is the only way YOU WILL KNOW FOR SURE what model you want

Todd

We were ordering a G but our dealer had the leftover R and we could not resist the price. Having the R, I would have a hard time going backwards, MAINLY due to the front loungers. Their is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the S or G models, except we have been spoiled by the R sized loungers. Like Derrick said, the fold down armrest/cupholders are very nice too. The Raised Helm was icing on the cake for us. We were actually THINKING about trading our R on a GCW that our dealer had, but the seats and helm mentioned above was the only two things that kept us from doing it. We sat on it and agreed we could live with the seats, but not without the raised helm ..... Probably best we walked away anyhow .... :)

Back