What is too hot?

Ilovegt100

Reaction score
Anyone ever feel wimpy because their family feels that 114F heat index is actually too hot to be out on uncovered boat fighting for the small Bimini? Jumping in water doesn't seem to help too much and stagnant humid air over this area boils their brains and makes them grouchy. It is my first year with the boat and unsure if this is a common condition.

On the plus side, temps are coming down next week for my staycation, my double Bimini is suppose to be ready Monday, and at least it makes the kids sleep well :) .

114* even in the shade may be too hot for an enjoyable experience.  Uncovered would be plain miserable to me.  When I was younger it didn't bother me so much as I cruised up and down the Colorado River in Arizona then one year it just wasn't fun anymore.  I spent way too much time deployed in "X-stan" to consider it fun to be out baking when the air conditioner is working just fine at home.  I look at it much like stormy weather - wait it out for better weather - it'll show up eventually.  Wimpy?  No way!!!

I was out on Friday and it was 116 here.  Beautiful day and the double bimini made it enjoyable.  I couldn't imagine being in that heat without a bimini top.  Under the top or in the water was the order for the day.

We were out with the kids yesterday and it was 114 degrees. Our lake has a lot of canyon walls to escape to the shade for a       anchored out dip. We hung out at the sandbar most of the day swimming and enjoying the bimini. The water temp from the main lake was 89 degrees vs. the water at the sandbar was 72 degrees (much more refreshing). /monthly_2016_05/large.20160524_132919.jpg.4f480c0070c9cf108ce3a3907fa8dd22.jpg

On real Hot days being in the water with a Umberlla over your head is a Great option. 

We have a QCW and we have found that a Parasol Umbrella (the ones that curve are called Parasol) fits right over the ski pilon nub. 

We got this umbrella from cost co. ($400) 

it gives you the ability to cast shade in a 180 degree 1/2 circle in and around the boat and even in the water. 
29B9B640-7A43-4B9F-90C1-4235F3060DAD_zpscecsl6j2.jpg

Here is a example of how you are able to swing the umbrella around and cast shade where you would need it. 

C10A9C62-B88A-42FD-A4A1-075B0E265E21_zpszdewhbks.jpg

Im looking for a Black Square or Rectangle umbrella for next season. I think the black square umbrella will be a closer look to the shape of our current Bimini.

114* even in the shade may be too hot for an enjoyable experience.  Uncovered would be plain miserable to me.  When I was younger it didn't bother me so much as I cruised up and down the Colorado River in Arizona then one year it just wasn't fun anymore.  I spent way too much time deployed in "X-stan" to consider it fun to be out baking when the air conditioner is working just fine at home.  I look at it much like stormy weather - wait it out for better weather - it'll show up eventually.  Wimpy?  No way!!!

Thank you for your service to our country JaqnKat. It's been hot here also and we haven't used the boat in a long while. We had no spring  and heat indexes over 100 to me are not fun. And I had to fix our a/c today as well so I'm enjoying it as I type.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess after reading the above posts, I should not complain about it only being 98 degrees yesterday.

We had a few showers come through the area, but none at my house.  The winds that came with the rain whipped the lake into somewhat of a frenzy, and it was too wavy for enjoyable boating.

I have been rebuilding the kitchen cabinets and installing granite on my lake house kitchen.  I finally got around to doing my Spring House Cleaning on July 23rd.  Now we've got to make up for lost time in the boat since we've not even used it this year.  Now, temperatures are uncomfortable until 7:00 p.m.

Yesterday, high 90's no Bimini, and brutal. Today, low 90's and popped the Bimini. Couldn't take it any longer without it. I guess that's a sign of getting older. Winter sucks and 95 plus sucks ......  :D

We had a heat index of 114+ at the lake on Saturday. Have to say it was a bit much. Still had a great day on the lake with the family. The last time I experienced a day on the lake like Saturday was at Lake Mead NV. The temp on the lake was 118, this was around 1987. Hope this doesn't become the norm.

Stay hydrated!

Beer is your friend!

Upper 90's here recently and loving it. Tonight I was sweating just fishing from the dock. 95% humidity! I love it as I know that evil white stuff will be here before we know it. 

I was out on Friday and it was 116 here.  Beautiful day and the double bimini made it enjoyable.  I couldn't imagine being in that heat without a bimini top.  Under the top or in the water was the order for the day.

I agree. Plus, Stay hydrated. I'm planning on going out on Tuesday and it is supposed to be 108.

Cheers, Steve

Like Carl said the heat index for Lake Norman this past weekend has been 100. We didn't go out until 600p Saturday night but we were out all day today! Don't usually go out on the weekends but our daughter was here visiting so we had no choice. For us if it's sunny out.........Bimini top is up! Hawaiians need the shade!

I agree. Plus, Stay hydrated. I'm planning on going out on Tuesday and it is supposed to be 108.

Cheers, Steve

My temperature source says 113 on Tuesday and 115/116 on Weds and Thurs.  It's been very nice but right now we've got lots of smoke from the big fire in Kali.

On real Hot days being in the water with a Umberlla over your head is a Great option. 

We have a QCW and we have found that a Parasol Umbrella (the ones that curve are called Parasol) fits right over the ski pilon nub. 

We got this umbrella from cost co. ($400) 

it gives you the ability to cast shade in a 180 degree 1/2 circle in and around the boat and even in the water. 

smiley-wow-sign-stock-image-blue-face-37519175.jpg

MrG, can you explain how it mounts over the ski pylon.  We have an I/O that that could be a great solution.  With the cloth furled can you run at speed?

Really like the umbrella and it is really great that it can be swung out over the water.  Do you have to take it off when you move, or just collaspe it down?  

Hey Folks: Here is the Deal. Our Q its a I/O it has a small male nubb that works as the insert to the ski pylon. It sits almost flush with the swim deck. (photo below). This is what the Parasol umbrella slides into. So your only dealing with about 4-5 inches of the pylon that go's into the umbrella. So bottom line its NOT for use when underway. We break out the umbrella when we are parked. Other wise it moves back and forth a bit and I was afraid I would bend the umbrella at the base and it could no longer be used back at home. Remeber the umbrella is light weight thin wall aluminum. So we have it broken down and inside the boat when we bring it out. That said I'm sure someone could make a Spacer that would mount to the factory Pylon nub and then work as a Adapter for the umbrella or another style umbrella. This umbrella is HUGE and it takes up almost the entire inside of the boat. Its a PITA (Pain in the A$$) to deal with but when you get your your spot your so glad you brought it   
27A14D39-D59D-4734-BB11-92C80D4A194F_zpsa15x2ui7.jpg

It was a nice time on the water today. According to my info, it got up to 114. Got to love the double bimini and plenty of cold water.

Cheers, Steve

Back