What is your go-to aluminum cleaner?

Okay Guys....(and BigKahuna) Hold on to your hats, dentures or whatever.
I called Phil Dill Boats in Dallas about cleaning the Tubes.
Phil Dill and their parent company are Bennington Dealers.
They lift the boat on a hoist and use an acid wash in a pressure washer.

What a BARGAIN!! It only costs.....
wait for it....
Keep Scrolling....
Holy Crap!
$600.00

Sign me up (Insert Sarcasm)

Wow! $600 is ridiculous! Plus can't imagine acid wash in a pressure washer. All I'm picturing is all the overspray all over. Check other local marinas or boat centers. You'll find somebody competent and reasonable.

Buy the lot!!!!

Buy the lot!!!!

We are leaning that way but........

We have an almost 3 yr. old waterview house across the street from the lot. Paid off mortgage free.

It could be a logistical nightmare........

Buy the lot.......Sell our house......Have the new one built. Where would we live while it's being built? Where are we going to put our stuff? How long will this process take? Is it really worth doing all this?

There's a lot to think about before pulling the trigger.....

BigKahuna, I know you are fairly recent at Lake, would you but waterfront lot and then build new house?

BK, want to start a new thread so we don't hijack this one?

Wow! $600 is ridiculous! Plus can't imagine acid wash in a pressure washer. All I'm picturing is all the overspray all over. Check other local marinas or boat centers. You'll find somebody competent and reasonable.

they don't spray on the acid with a pressure washer. most use a regular old pump sprayer

My cost for year one. $200 for sharkhide. Above water line looks new.
$5 grill scrubber for below water line, almost looks almost new ...... I anchor in shallow water, and scrub it every 3-4 weeks during summer. Last scrub was mid-September.

Just my two cents, but the dealer-applied acid wash was a total nightmare for me! If I can figure out how to post some pictures, you'll see the damage to my toons, railing and flooring that was caused by a downright poor acid wash. My dealer did accept responsibility and suggested that they'd make it right, but we're nowhere close to coming to some type of agreement. DO NOT allow someone to acid wash your Bennington unless you're willing to chance some significant damage to your boat! Ask me how I know... :(

Just my two cents, but the dealer-applied acid wash was a total nightmare for me! If I can figure out how to post some pictures, you'll see the damage to my toons, railing and flooring that was caused by a downright poor acid wash. My dealer did accept responsibility and suggested that they'd make it right, but we're nowhere close to coming to some type of agreement. DO NOT allow someone to acid wash your Bennington unless you're willing to chance some significant damage to your boat! Ask me how I know... :(

Michiman just click on "Upload a File" and you can load your pics directly to your post.

Can't believe the dealer's employee was that incompetent and screwed your boat up that badly. Suggested he'll make it right?!? He HAS to make it right. You spent a lot of money on that 2016 G. He has to make you happy as a customer. What needs to be done to make it right? If it means requesting another boat.......So be it!

2 people have acid washed my boat. My old Marina in Virginia and my current mechanic/boat shop owner. With both I checked other boats they had acid washed first and made sure other parts of the boat would be protected before starting the job. I have been satisfied with the results each time. Just make sure whoever you choose to do it knows what they are doing....

Michiman just click on "Upload a File" and you can load your pics directly to your post.

Can't believe the dealer's employee was that incompetent and screwed your boat up that badly. Suggested he'll make it right?!? He HAS to make it right. You spent a lot of money on that 2016 G. He has to make you happy as a customer. What needs to be done to make it right? If it means requesting another boat.......So be it!

2 people have acid washed my boat. My old Marina in Virginia and my current mechanic/boat shop owner. With both I checked other boats they had acid washed first and made sure other parts of the boat would be protected before starting the job. I have been satisfied with the results each time. Just make sure whoever you choose to do it knows what they are doing....

BigKahuna, I'll try to post some pictures over the Thanksgiving holiday. They did offer to buy me a new boat for an additional $19,999. LOL! So they damage my boat and then tell me that I can "have" a new one for an additional $20K! Yikes!! Or I can take a couple thousand in dealer services. They want to make it right, but just not cost them anything. Wait until you see the pictures... Further, I was told they've acid washed hundreds of boats prior to mine with no problem. How do I get so lucky??

I'd put a deadline to resolve the issue. Otherwise they will just kick it down the road. Who insurers the boat? I wonder if they would cover it as discoloration is not typically physical damage, but it the anodized coating is damaged, then you might have some coverage. I'd be sure to let the dealer know that is your next option and to prepare for subrogation. It would be a hassle but in the end you shouldn't have to have a boat that is jacked up.

I'd put a deadline to resolve the issue. Otherwise they will just kick it down the road. Who insurers the boat? I wonder if they would cover it as discoloration is not typically physical damage, but it the anodized coating is damaged, then you might have some coverage. I'd be sure to let the dealer know that is your next option and to prepare for subrogation. It would be a hassle but in the end you shouldn't have to have a boat that is jacked up.

Okay say the insurance company does cover the damage as a discoloration......Can they reanodize whatever is damaged or will it have to be replaced??? Michiman says the damage is pretty extensive. Might as well give him another boat.......

BigKahuna, I'll try to post some pictures over the Thanksgiving holiday. They did offer to buy me a new boat for an additional $19,999. LOL! So they damage my boat and then tell me that I can "have" a new one for an additional $20K! Yikes!! Or I can take a couple thousand in dealer services. They want to make it right, but just not cost them anything. Wait until you see the pictures... Further, I was told they've acid washed hundreds of boats prior to mine with no problem. How do I get so lucky??

That's not making it right. That's a step in the right direction but it's a slap in the face! Sorry we messed up your boat we'll give it 5 free oil changes and winterizations and call it even. Terrible customer service.

Okay Guys....(and BigKahuna) Hold on to your hats, dentures or whatever.
I called Phil Dill Boats in Dallas about cleaning the Tubes.
Phil Dill and their parent company are Bennington Dealers.
They lift the boat on a hoist and use an acid wash in a pressure washer.

What a BARGAIN!! It only costs.....
wait for it....
Keep Scrolling....
Holy Crap!
$600.00

Sign me up (Insert Sarcasm)

We bought our boat from Phil Dill. I wouldn't have them do it. We have ours in a slip at Joe Pool Lake, Lynn Creek Marina. She went in in September, so about two months, and we pulled her out to do some wiring last weekend. I just used aluminum cleaner from O'Reilly's and a soft bristle brush for wheels and it cleaned them right up. Now, it may need something a little stronger or more elbow grease if we wait 6 months.

ill be testing a new product after the next acid wash. ceramic marine coating. my detail shop laughed at me when i asked about sharkhide

D860E057-2D98-40E7-AA1D-1A9259C879E3_zpspytjzvqf.jpg

78C0DB15-DEDB-46E1-989A-FAF648B57485_zps6mtsulbb.jpg

Back