What to do about a speedometer

jgcranch

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new to me 2017 SX20 with a 90 hp Mercury. The boat does not have a speedometer. My previous pontoon had one in it and it was helpful when trimming. I could use my cell phone GPS but an analog dial would be easier to read and I usually have phone stored. Also my old motor had a water tube that went to the speedometer does the Mercury engine have that capability? Can you buy a new console insert that would accommodate the additional indicator? All this may not be worth it but thought I would ask..Thanks

I just use the rpms and make believe they're mph. Works for me. I gps's it once or twice so I know about how fast rpm==mph. I go "12" (no wake zone) under a bridge... have no idea what mph that is but that's how fast I go.

Maybe look at a economical "GPS" fishfinder, or check with your dealer and see if the GPS speedo can be retrofitted into your helm.

I didn't know they made a GPS speedometer but checked it out and also checked out VesselView from Mercury. I need to replace the fish locator also as its a very basic one and difficult to see. Thanks for the great suggestions.

West Marine has an electronics sale going on now ,today may be the last day .
There was also a few of us here that upgraded about 2 years ago when Cabellas had a sale the Garmin 53DV

You’re welcome! Post up some pics of your new ride!!!

West Marine has an electronics sale going on now ,today may be the last day .
There was also a few of us here that upgraded about 2 years ago when Cabellas had a sale the Garmin 53DV

And the 53DV is a very nice unit, especially if you get it on close out price!!

Thank you all for the great suggestions and like the idea of using using the GPS on the locator. After doing some searching I think I am going to go with the Mercury Vesselview and a Lowrance HDS 7 with Totalscan transducer if it will fit in the dash in place of the gages. The pontoon is in storage so I will have to get some measurements. The helm is not very big and the location of the factory locator makes it inconvenient to see so this will help solve two issues. This is not the cheapest way to go but I think it will look an function well and give me more engine data at the same time.

1 more question. Can you buy a blank panel that I could flush mount the Lowrance on. I am thinking I could 3D print one if I can't purchase it.

1 more question. Can you buy a blank panel that I could flush mount the Lowrance on. I am thinking I could 3D print one if I can't purchase it.

Have your dealer contact Bennington on the panel question. If there’s one available, that’s pretty much your only option.

Use your phone with a speedometer app downloaded

That's what I did. I know what rpm I need to pull a skier and I know what my speed is at cruise rpm and don't worry about anything else.

I have recently purchased a new to me 2017 SX20 with a 90 hp Mercury. The boat does not have a speedometer. My previous pontoon had one in it and it was helpful when trimming. I could use my cell phone GPS but an analog dial would be easier to read and I usually have phone stored. Also my old motor had a water tube that went to the speedometer does the Mercury engine have that capability? Can you buy a new console insert that would accommodate the additional indicator? All this may not be worth it but thought I would ask..Thanks
I downloaded a free app for my iPhone.

I had a Garmin Striker 4 installed by dealer. GPS, speedometer, depth/fish finder, water temp, etc. Flush mounted on the console.

Hi bought a Lowrance HDS 7 and mounted it in the rear port corner. I then use an Android tablet to connect and remotely control it from the helm. Do you have a pic of your install? What did you do with the original indicators. Were you able to get a blank console? The set up works great but would be better if the tablet could be flush mounted and permanently powered .

Hi bought a Lowrance HDS 7 and mounted it in the rear port corner. I then use an Android tablet to connect and remotely control it from the helm. Do you have a pic of your install? What did you do with the original indicators. Were you able to get a blank console? The set up works great but would be better if the tablet could be flush mounted and permanently powered .
GPSmount.jpg

Back