What Type of Winter Storage Cover Should I Use?

medkid134

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions on reusable boat covers for a 2013 Bennington 22 SLX for long term winter storage. I know the benefits of Shrinkwrap, but for cost ($400 per year) and environmental factors i would like to explore alternative cover options with a 3-5 year life span. The boat will be stored outdoors for the winter in Southern Delaware where we have pretty mild winters so im not too worried about snow or ice accumulation. I would image the big threats are water, bugs, and animals.

Does anyone have good luck with storing boats without shrinkwrap?

I pay $600 for indoor storage ... shrink would be around $450 plus $150 outdoor storage. I’d never pay for shrink if I don’t have to, 1 winter then into the dumpster.
My point is, look around for indoor if possible.

Moderator, I'd respectfully ask that this post be deleted immediately on the account of improper language and subject matter. For crying out loud, my boat's only been in the water a week and we're talking about the "W" word?? :)

I thought the same thing Steve!

Mine is stored outside all winter....on the lift!

We did buy a hefty cover while we lived in MI as the boat sat under a covered structure for the winter. No snow load but it did protect the panels. I'll have to look in the garage and see what the brand is.

Mine too is stored outside all winter on a lift in a covered slip!

I bought the blue pontoon cover that Costco (still) offers a couple of years ago. It is very well made and is available in 2 sizes and under $200. I discovered that if you put it directly over the playpen factory cover, it won't allow the vents (where poles hold up playpen cover) to breathe and it allows moisture to trap and start mildew!!! If it could be spaced above with ropes, foam pool noodles, etc it would allow the airflow that enters under the sidewalls and leaves out those vents. Inside storage is best but if none available, just be careful so you don't trap moisture. No permanent damage as it cleaned up fine but I freaked when I uncovered and saw seats all dirty from cover and stored items with mildew.

9D9FA8E4-F98F-4CEE-ACC6-E89C8D4BD7A6.jpeg Here is the brand we used in Michigan. It never experienced full snow load as it was under a carport in the winter.

I covered my old pontoon with a Navigloo from Costco for 7 winters. It worked pretty great. I handed that down to a buddy this fall and rented indoor storage. Then I accidentally bought my 2018 Bennington late this fall. Now im paying for 2 boats in winter storage. D'oh!

last three years I’ve used a tarp that covers the top and 1/4 way down the sides of the factory cover... so still adequate airflow to stop mildew. I purchased on amazon... make sure you look at the higher quality/thicker covers. I use bungee cords to hold it in place.

I hate when I accidentally buy boats.

Storage is getting costlier every year here and when you have minor repairs
it is just more icing on the cake. This years total for storage and repairs 2093.00
Next year will be storing boat on my driveway with shrink wrap only.
Indoor storage here is insane. Today is 2/3/2020..... 62F Not Bad

1580774829298.png

I had put this in another thread a while back, but I paid $400 to have pontoon winterized and shrink wrapped. It also included picking up at the dock and delivering it back to my yard when completed - no trailering by me.

My neighbor (who I got the name from - my prior guy retired) uses the same person and he actually showed them how to carefully remove the wrap to save and reuse the following year - which they did last year and this. I haven’t tried to do it yet. Check around you MIGHT find a deal.

I would love 400.00 a year ... the cleaning is a joke here due to distance from Dealer.
The Boat is driven over 100 miles after storage without a cover on it (LOL)
By the time it gets here it is a dusty mess due to road dust and etc.
Doing the cleaning yourself is key !!
Power Washing Tubes etc has to be done as the costs are too high
Joining the DIY Club this year for sure
I need the winterization and shrink wrap will store on my driveway.
If there are no issues this year, I will be in great shape.
With saying all of that
I am looking forward to a Great Boating Season
Mother Nature Please Cooperate :)

1580926938022.png

i have always CLEANED it myself although I don’t have polished tubes. I’m certain many of you would spend more time on them than I do but we are satisfied with the results. That cleaning is not part of the price.

Back