What would you do in my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjbeyer

Reaction score
Looking for some advice....

I custom ordered a 21 23RCW last fall and it has been built and is sitting at my dealer and I am just waiting for some nicer weather to go get it. I spent hours and hours researching and spending time here on the forum to get exactly what I wanted and I did, except for one thing..

I opted to go with the 300 Yamaha with all digital controls. No problem, the boat was built that way but when I was looking at the photos my dealer was kind enough to send me, I noticed something interesting on the dash. They had removed the new, sleek touchscreen gauges that come standard with the R series now and replaced them with the standard Yamaha gauges which look like they are from the 90's and in my opinion, really detract from the overall look of the dash and are not NEARLY as nice as the new touchscreen gauges.

So no problem, I figure. I will just swap them back and all will be good right? Not so. It took my dealer almost three weeks to get the parts list from Bennington to swap the gauges out and it was about 13 or so parts, to the tune of $3800 and some change (dealer cost), and that's not including labor. I asked about swapping to a Simrad or something else and it would be even more.

So here's my dilemma. My dealer has been great about everything and is as shocked as I am at the cost to swap out. My thought is that shouldn't Bennington have the responsibility of notifying dealers and potential customers that if you select a certain engine package that it would delete the standard gauge cluster? There are many other options where if you select something during your build that a pop-up will come up and tell you that something else is going to be deleted as part of the selection.

I know my dealer is going to call the reginal rep to see if he may be able to help but if he is not, do I push the issue up the chain? Am I making too much of a big deal of this? It's something I never could have imagined - this high tech boat where I UPGRADED engines and controls, got automatically DOWNGRADED gauges.

Thought/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
IMG_1337.jpeg
touchscreen gauge cluster.jpg

I don't like the gauges either, I would push for a suitable resolution, I have a 20 gsb23 with the simrad and it has no other gauges than the screen and I think it looks pretty plain, other comparable brands we looked at had simrad and gauges so you can monitor vitals while using your graph or GPS, I felt this was a shortcoming on their behalf, however I bought used so had the opportunity to decline the purchase, you however seem to feel misled so at the very least the dealer should address this issue with their customer build site

Last edited:
You need to give your dealer the time to work through this matter without worrying about the next steps. It would be pure speculation at this time. It sounds like they are willing to be your advocate. I am going to close this thread to future comments as they really serve no useful purpose at this time. Keep us posted as to your situation. We will look forward to an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back