What's the minimum dock size to support a 21 SLX safely?

lostpacket

Reaction score
With extended deck and the engine attached it's probably 24-25' long right? I'm assuming the front/rear can hang off a little so would a 20' dock length be okay to tie up to? How short can I go?

With extended deck and the engine attached it's probably 24-25' long right? I'm assuming the front/rear can hang off a little so would a 20' dock length be okay to tie up to? How short can I go?

20 feet should be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you will see in this forum, there can be damage brought onto your vessel by others when the boat fits, so be prepared for it, if you're sticking out past the dock length. I think it was Jack or Link that suffered that damage from another boater at the marina. I might be wrong on that.

It was mine ,twice .Old marina short dock, stern was out in the open water.Current marina much longer dock

Is this at your own dock or a marina's? As Randy said, the length would be no problem with tying off to. It would be more the situation of where the dock is located.

My own dock, no chance someone would hit it. I'm adding on to my existing dock because of rocks and trying to figure out the most affordable route (aka, smallest dock) while still making sure the boat is secured. Probably do a floating dock too.

I think location, body of water, etc... are huge factors in whether you need to be worried about your boats aft hanging out past your dock. 20' dock, if mored or secured well, should be more than sturdy enough for your boat.

Whether or not the aft sticking out is a concern is hopefully something you can ascertain. I see the danger at a marina, or canal/river, etc in which people are hugging shoreline or channels more.

However, on my lake, which is very big and shallow for some distance from the shore, you would have no concerns. You wouldn't have anyone really coming within 150' or more feet of you dock/boat. Heck, by ordinance they need to be something like 150-200' out from any dock. Not that everyone sticks to it, but most due, and no one has came close to our dock/boat ever due to the nature of our lake.

Back