wheel chair

As in what is available? Customizing? I would think a layout like the RCWCP would be an easier customized layout, how wide is your wheelchair? Are you always the driver or usually a passenger? If passenger they could remove one of the chairs on the port side, widen the port door to say 36" or so, that way you could have a ramp come off the side dock and into the boat. Hmm wonder what the space is between the rear loungers? Mine is in storage so I can't measure right now, but if you had an inboard motor and the space was wide enough between the rear loungers you could also roll right on/off from the back as well. You would have to have a little ramp for the raised deck because if the inboard but totally do-able in my mind. Maybe Bennington already has something in place for this. Your best bet might be to speak to a Bennington dealer or even customer service. I have a hard time believing that a company this great and customer oriented wouldn't have done something before. Keep us informed, I would love to know as a pontoon boat seems to be the perfect platform to allow wheelchair bound individuals to get out on the water!

Derrick

We'll do a custom drawing for you if you'd like...please visit a Bennington dealer and describe your needs. He'll submit it to us and we'll see if we can make it happen!

This might be something good to have a few layouts already worked out and even shown on the website. It could have its own heading (Q,R,G,S, and W, for Wheelchair friendly) it may not be a huge seller, but it would be great to show potential buyers/customers that Bennington is ready and willing to meet their needs! I know that the work involved might not reap huge monetary gains, but it has the benefit of showing that Bennington is a forward thinking company and that it's first concern is meeting and exceeding ALL of customer's needs! Just a thought, if someone doesn't think to come on the forum and ask or if no dealer is nearby, than the website is their only source of information. Having those options readily available and visible could be the difference.

I think it would be quite simple. Shorten a front lounger, and make a wider (36") side gate. The issue may arise from a liability standpoint where they have no control of the dock/pontoon transition, but I know I've seen pics of other pontoons with modified side gates for exactly this purpose.

We offered a "special access model" for two years (wide gates, removable captain's chair, wide access from bow to stern, etc.) but we still found that every situation is unique...so a custom drawing is best!

Last edited:
We offered a "special access model" for two years (wide gates, removable captain's chair, wide access from bow to stern, etc.) but we still found that every situation is unique...so a custom drawing is best!
I totally agree, I just wonder if there is anyway ON THE WEBSITE to clearly show interested customers that Bennington is not only willing, but happy to make their vision become a reality. Even if you showed a couple designs/drawings on the website, and had the statement about "if you don't see something suitable for your application, please feel free to contact us or one of our dealers and we will be happy to try our best to make it happen" . I know you guys are willing, because you are a great company, but a NEW customer might not know yet how customer oriented you are. Just my thoughts, I know you guys know what your doing, been doing it great for a while now! :)

Derrick

I agree with Derrick, being PRO active enforcing the idea that you will DO IT, VS. reactive (waiting for customer to ask) will set you apart.

Like he said, even if you show a design or two, and especially a photo of one, I would bet you would get more interest than you think.

With the search capabilities (Google/Bing/etc...) I can't imagine that you would not be getting major hits on "wheelchair pontoon" ......

I see that most of these are for the side gate. I am wanting on that comes out the front. You can go to shore after landing. If I can get one I will take the boat straight up to where the boats are put in the water and set out the gangplank from underneath. Then the wheel chair vets and even walkers can board and egress. Thanks, Larry

Sounds like your looking for something that goes under the deck and pulls out (like a U Haul truck ramp?) If that is the case I'm not sure what Bennington can do as that would be very custom. I did see and posted a while back about a new toon I saw at my dealer, it had a 22' deck with seating configuration from a 20', this gave a lot of extra bow room as the buyer had a son in a wheel chair. Good luck with your search. I wish there was a perfect solution to assist with your great cause.

Back