Where do you go boating mostly?

My primary lake and where our new Bennington will be Moored all summer is at Shasta Lake in Northern CA. 10-15 minutes from my front door to the Marina. My secondary lake if I feel like a change of scenery is Whiskeytown Lake 10 minutes from my front door in another direction. It's much smaller, but is beautiful with extremely clear waters. Many other lakes within reasonable proximity but these are my go to lakes. 

Shasta Lake has 365 miles of coast line when full. Great views and good fishing. The dam was originally supposed to be 800 feet tall but due to a labor shortage during WWII, it stopped short at 602 feet high. There has been talks for years to raise the dam at varying different levels. 

Shasta
aghMzmV.jpg

n3oUqwu.jpg

Amen1hw.jpg

Whiskeytown
xctpquf.jpg

Z7fow86.jpg

Shasta Lake:

Max. length

35 mi (56 km)

Surface area

30,000 acres (12,000 ha)

Max. depth

517 ft (158 m)

Water volume

4,552,000 acre·ft (5.615 km3)

Shore length1

365 mi (587 km)

Surface elevation

1,067 ft (325 m)

From our first trip on the lake after receiving our boat mid October. She only got to go out once on Shasta, and then once on Whiskeytown before going into storage all winter. She goes on the water April 1st. Can't wait for a summer FULL of boating.

w9wdtwo.jpg

Am I the only person here wanting to do a Trade for Lake Front Homes across the country to enjoy these pieces of paradises ?

Beautiful Beautiful Lakes 

131687700.jpg
127878027.jpg

"Lake Living Is Living At It's Best "

Last edited by a moderator:
Lake Greenwood, South Carolina.  It may be small but it's home.

229 miles of shoreline

11400 acres

average depth 23 ft

Come to Lake Cumberland.  101 miles long.  1400 miles of shore line.  Reality is you spend 99% of your time 5 miles from your dock.  Come on down.

Yup, trying to put together a houseboat trip down in your neck of the woods. 

We live and boat on Table Rock lake in southwest Missouri.  It's an Army Corps lake with natural shore line and depths up to 250 ft.

Jack

229 miles of shoreline

11400 acres

average depth 23 ft

Small?!?  Try my 400 acre lake, which is one reason for the 50hp on our boat. Of course, we are only about 5 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan if we really wanted the big water, but we love our waterfront location.  

229 miles of shoreline

11400 acres

average depth 23 ft

Small?!?  Try our 400 acre lake. That's why we only have a 50hp on our boat. Of course, we are only 5 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan if we wanted the big water. We don't go there to boat though as we really love our quiet waterfront spot in the woods. 

Not sure what happen in the prior post?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, trying to put together a houseboat trip down in your neck of the woods. 

Conley Bottom Resort is the closest marina to our lake house.  We are trying to meet up with mattb when they come down in August. 

Small?!?  Try my 400 acre lake, which is one reason for the 50hp on our boat. Of course, we are only about 5 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan if we really wanted the big water, but we love our waterfront location.  

Maybe I should qualify that.  There are several lakes within a 1 1/2 hr drive from us and this is the smallest.

Here's my little lake!

7.5 miles long

2.8 miles wide

Max depth 111 ft

Mean depth 36 ft

11 square miles of surface area 

We have a log cabin on Lake Vermilion in NE Minnesota and we keep our Benny there.  Vermilion is a natural 40,000 acre lake with 313 miles of shoreline and 365 islands.  It borders the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.  Much of the shoreline is undeveloped but there are some resorts, bars and restaurants as well.  It's a great place to see loons, bald eagles, moose and wolves.  The only downside is that it is frozen for 5 months of the year.  That's what snowmobiles are for!

Anyone on Westpoint Lake in Georgia? My wife and I spent two summers there when I transferred to Peachtree City GA back in 2006. Best fishing I've ever seen with the lake full of hybrid striped bass that would hit so hard sometimes you would reel in a set of fish lips. The lake was huge where you better have a chart (old timers GPS) and spotlight at night to follow the markers.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg (AKA: Webster Lake)
3.25 Miles long
17 miles of shoreline
1442 acres
15' average depth
49' Max. depth

I think I saw that one featured on lakefront bargain hunters!!! What a name!

Back