Which of the 4 wires are positive and negative to connect to battery?

SLM85VOL

Reaction score
My husband is gone and he took the battery off the boat to charge it and the four wires are not labeled positive or negative. I'm assuming the wire with the red at the end is positive and the black is negative, but I want to be sure.  Also, there is a wire with a little box on the end of it.  Is it connected to the positive post of the battery?  There is not a diagram in my owner's manual either which would have been nice. 

You are correct.....................Red is Positive.............Black is negative.

Thanks.  Do I assume that the little red box is attached to the positive post as well?  And the other two that are black.  Is that one the ground also?  I'm terrible with mechanical things, but I am willing to learn.

Can you post a pic of the box?is it a battery switch? Does it have 1. 2. Both?

Last edited by a moderator:
The little box thing on the red conductor might be a fuse.

There are two primary sets of wires with two coming out of each.  My husband told me over the phone that one is for the engine and it has one red connection and one black connection.  The other set with two wires (one black with a separate green little wire attached and the other a red wire with a little fuse box I believe is for the other electrical components on the boat).  The way I understand to do it is to attach the two red wires to the positive and the two black to the negative one of which has the little green ground wire attached.  Is this right.  Stop me before it's too late and I start the engine.  Thanks.

Yes, you are correct.

I was also pretty much confused about all this thank's for all the answers all of your posts have rally cleared my mind a lot, this Forum is really helpful indeed, I hope it also solves my other problems too.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Back