Which side is your transducer on?

VTsslx22

Reaction score
I read in my Garmin manual that the transducer should be installed on the starboard side of the motor to avoid prop wash. Mine was installed by dealer on the port tube and I certainly have issues with my depth finder losing readings. I've moved the transducer angle up and down, issue remains. 

Wondering if moving it to the other side would be wise. Where's yours installed?

Mine is on the port side and I don't have any issues with it.  The only time I lose bottom or anything is at high speeds.

Starboard side for me

Port. Try moving it completely down a little, not just the angle. 

Mine is on the port side.  I only have issues after I engage my nitrous oxide button.

Mine is located on the port toon and I generally lose functionality at about 15 mph. Garmin has told me that my model should be good up to 20. Is it possible to move the unit while it is sitting in the water? What tool is needed (e.g. phillips, socket, etc.)?

The biggest thing I miss from my bowrider days is an accurate depth gauge at any speed.

Probably a phillips screwdriver. Mines held on with screws. These are dealer installed so yours may be different.

Probably a phillips screwdriver. Mines held on with screws. These are dealer installed so yours may be different.

Thanks! I'll scope it out a bit closer this weekend. 

Port side for me as well. No issues at any speed.

Port side for me.  I had to move mine down quite a bit from where the dealer installed it (like 1.5 inches!)  Originally I'd lose depth at around 15, now it's good to just over 30.  Mine is now aligned just slightly lower than the bottom of the pontoon.  I kept moving down & testing until I found what I thought was a good balance between getting readings at the highest speed and being too low (lower than the bottom of the pontoon.)  Like I said, mine is now slightly lower than the pontoon, which means I risk damaging it if I scrape/hit something, but I wanted to get depth readings at higher speeds.  So I just keep my fingers crossed that I don't hit something.

Port side here as well.  No issues.

Port side, don't have a mounting plate on the other side. Don't really have any issue except if I run across some wake or rough water at speed. My boats not as fast as lakelivings so I'm not catching air for any additional disturbance! (LOL)

Portside. Had an issue when we first got the boat. But once we played around w/the angle of the transducer...........no further problem.

Port side and only loses readings at around 15+ mph  - not to go off on a tangent but I have been using it on the 200mhz setting - does anyone use theirs on the 50?  Just wondering if there is that much difference.  I believe the 50 will cast wider but not read as precisely is this correct?

Back