Winterization

Mike31406

Reaction score
I did my last service at 19 hours, it now has 44. I called my dealor and talked with the service department. They said put in fuel stabilizer, which I had already done, and it would be good to go. No foot or engine oil change would be needed until 100 hours. They also didn’t recommend fogging the engine. When questioned further he stated that unless I suspected water had gotten into the foot I.e. film on water, or hit something with the keg/prop etc. that it really wasn’t necessary. What do you all think??

My Bimini stays with its cover on most of the season. With some careful positioning I could put it up while under my covered lift. I will be using the playpen cover. My season has ended unforunately.

I did my last service at 19 hours, it now has 44. I called my dealor and talked with the service department. They said put in fuel stabilizer, which I had already done, and it would be good to go. No foot or engine oil change would be needed until 100 hours. They also didn’t recommend fogging the engine. When questioned further he stated that unless I suspected water had gotten into the foot I.e. film on water, or hit something with the keg/prop etc. that it really wasn’t necessary. What do you all think??

My Bimini stays with its cover on most of the season. With some careful positioning I could put it up while under my covered lift. I will be using the playpen cover. My season has ended unforunately.

Regardless of how many hrs. you have on the engine oil and the lower unit lube..........I would change it at the end of the season! If you don't put your boat back in the water until April or May that's 7 or 8 months that your used 25 hr. oil and lube will be just sitting there. Also if your engine isn't fogged your cylinders won't be lubricated or protected for that same time frame.

I would also suggest putting a couple containers of Damp dry in your boat to take care of any moisture and also put mothballs in to keep the critters out!!!

Can't help but notice so many are doing their own winterization here at The Lake
Not for me , need the professionals to take care of it properly
Worth the small investment to protect the much larger investment
Biggest Surprise for me
Have had The Benny now for 4 Seasons
The number of total hours 142
Due to many reasons
But the shocker is
The original impaler is still working !!!!!!!!
Dealer checks it routinely as do I and it just keeps working
Could be due to the low number of hours
Definitely will replace next year before the season begins
Don't want to pull it out during the season

124828000.jpg

Regardless of how many hrs. you have on the engine oil and the lower unit lube..........I would change it at the end of the season! If you don't put your boat back in the water until April or May that's 7 or 8 months that your used 25 hr. oil and lube will be just sitting there. Also if your engine isn't fogged your cylinders won't be lubricated or protected for that same time frame.

I would also suggest putting a couple containers of Damp dry in your boat to take care of any moisture and also put mothballs in to keep the critters out!!!
Good advice! You have convinced me.

Can't help but notice so many are doing their own winterization here at The Lake
Not for me , need the professionals to take care of it properly
Worth the small investment to protect the much larger investment
Biggest Surprise for me
Have had The Benny now for 4 Seasons
The number of total hours 142
Due to many reasons
But the shocker is
The original impaler is still working !!!!!!!!
Dealer checks it routinely as do I and it just keeps working
Could be due to the low number of hours
Definitely will replace next year before the season begins
Don't want to pull it out during the season

124828000.jpg
Hahaha! Had to laugh when I first read it. Pittsburgh has an "impaler" on his boat! I knew you meant impeller and the spell check got you.

Yup time to have it changed!

Here is the extend of what I want to know about winterization, and spring preparation: The number of my boat dealer. They can call me back when done.

I let the professionals worry about what to do to keep my Benny in tip top running shape. I will worry about enjoying the boat, and putting their hard work to the test on the water. ;)

Because DIY is relatively cheap, I replace oil,filter,fog,lube,stabil, before winter, regardless of hours. When it thaws, I'm ready. I'll check my impeller this time also, less than 100 hours right now.

I do our impeller every 5 years.

No one is going to take more care and go the extra step in making sure your boat is protected for the winter than yourself. You don't need to be a mechanic. Use better products than the dealer and spend a fraction of the cost. Plus you learn about your engine. One day that will come in handy.

No one is going to take more care and go the extra step in making sure your boat is protected for the winter than yourself. You don't need to be a mechanic. Use better products than the dealer and spend a fraction of the cost. Plus you learn about your engine. One day that will come in handy.
Trust me, some people should not be near a toolbox. :eek:

Trust me, some people should not be near a toolbox. :eek:

And dealers are thankful for those that don’t recognize that ...$$$$... :D

It is funny though. The older I get, and my income becomes somewhat less discretionary, but my time more valuable, I’m more willing to pay someone to do something I used to do to, just save some $$$$ at that time.

It is funny though. The older I get, and my income becomes somewhat less discretionary, but my time more valuable, I’m more willing to pay someone to do something I used to do to, just save some $$$$ at that time.
Yup plus I'm getting lazier! Ha!

Can't speak for others. But I actually like working on my boat. A couple of beers and good tunes,I can accomplish anything! Besides, the E-tech actually does the fogging on it's own.

I do too actually. I did all the maintenance on my first boat for almost 13 yrs. I changed the oil and filter, fuel /water separator, 6 plugs, lower unit grease, and even had a winterization kit that ran 5 gallons of antifreeze through the block as I fogged the carburetor...........on our I/O! People always bitch about the maintenance on I/O's but I was very methodical and efficient and had plenty of room to work with on our Maxum.

But on this boat I just drop it off with our mechanic at the end of the season. Times have changed. Ha!

Can't speak for others. But I actually like working on my boat. A couple of beers and good tunes,I can accomplish anything! Besides, the E-tech actually does the fogging on it's own.

Can you explain a little further on the E-tech fogging on its own? I have a new F115 motor... doing the first winterization next week... do I need to use the Yamaha Stor-rite engine fogging oil or not?

I used Stabil engine fogging oil. Some people say to fog and others say not to. I did it, it is easy.

An e-tec is an Evinrude 2 stroke outboard, it has its own electronic fogging program, takes about a minute and a half you’re good to go.

Back