Wiring my new fish finder

JeffToon

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2012 SL20 pontoon and I just bought a new Garmin fish finder. The power cable has 2 wires(red and black) and the instructions show the wires hooking directly to the positive and negative battery terminals. How can I best hook these 2 wires up under the dash? What's the best source to hook into for the power, and what's the best spot to hook the ground wire to?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Hello,

I have a 2012 SL20 pontoon and I just bought a new Garmin fish finder. The power cable has 2 wires(red and black) and the instructions show the wires hooking directly to the positive and negative battery terminals. How can I best hook these 2 wires up under the dash? What's the best source to hook into for the power, and what's the best spot to hook the ground wire to?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Jump ground to them radio ground if theres no ground wire handy, and power off the back of an unused helm switch or the “load side”.

There should be a red/black colored wire coming from the accessory switch to the 12 volt accessory plug on the dash. Use an inline crimp connector to attach the red wire of the Garmin to this wire. Find the black wire to the same accessory plug and connect the Garmin’s black wire to it the same way. Now your Garmin will be powered by the accessory switch.

There should be a red/black colored wire coming from the accessory switch to the 12 volt accessory plug on the dash. Use an inline crimp connector to attach the red wire of the Garmin to this wire. Find the black wire to the same accessory plug and connect the Garmin’s black wire to it the same way. Now your Garmin will be powered by the accessory switch.
Thanks guys. I know exactly what I need to do now.

I’m doing a similar project (accessory only has a red & black), however my unused ACC switch on a 2018 boat is an on/off rocker that is internally lit. The switch has 4 connectors and has a provided Amphenol AT04-4P female plug with 4 pins. One pin shows 12v and the other 3 appear to have continuity to ground. Without a schematic I’m not comfortable making the connection - I’d appreciate some guidance, thanks.

I’m doing a similar project (accessory only has a red & black), however my unused ACC switch on a 2018 boat is an on/off rocker that is internally lit. The switch has 4 connectors and has a provided Amphenol AT04-4P female plug with 4 pins. One pin shows 12v and the other 3 appear to have continuity to ground. Without a schematic I’m not comfortable making the connection - I’d appreciate some guidance, thanks.
I hooked up my red/black colored wires directly to the 12 volt accessory plug on the dash per @JohnL guidance. Works like a champ! Sorry but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to wiring!

Back