Wont take fuel, kicks back as full but now under 1/8 tank

lostpacket

Reaction score
Picked it up from the marina yesterday and they said it should be full as it was kicking back but the gauge must be stuck as it says 1/4. After cruising around yesterday the gauge now shows less than 1/8 so I'm now guessing something is up with the system that accepts the nozzle (what's this called?) and not the gauge. Any thoughts on what to check, maybe someone made a nest in there or something?

Had same problem a few weeks back---- still don't know what the caused it--- i used a cheap ($10.00) battery gas pump with a small tube to slowly fill the tank (almost 10 gallons)-- then the gauge went back to full--no problem since---- someone suggested some type of air bubble or something caused by filling from gas can and air not being let out of tank...... sorry can't be of more help.

The gas filler Bennington uses, maybe other as well is not as good as one in a car. I too had to build a pump setup with small hose to fill my tank

interesting, so maybe if I can fill it it will correct itself? I tried to follow the fuel lines to see if there are kinks or anything but they go right under the deck and it's already in the water so I can't follow them.

The gas tank vent hose is blocked and not allowing air to escape as the gas enters the tank. you need to check the vent hose from the tank all the way to where the air exits the hose. You can un hook this hose at the tank and blow compressed air through the hose , some times this will clear the line,

+1. It it could have a pee trap in the vent line. Find the vent hose and make sure it gradually slopes from the filler neck to the tank. Any low spot or "U" shape in the hose and gravity will trap gas in the low spot and not allow air to pass. Just wiggle it around and try to get it into a position where any trapped gas will drain back to the tank.

This is a very common problem.

I posted pics of this years ago, if you can find them.

The pics are gone, but there's a better explanation...

I have similar problem. I bought the fancy lilipad marine funnel. Works great but I wonder if it fills too fast for the vent to work. The other day, gas belched out while filling so I assumed it was full and took off in the boat. Gauge read half full. I thought it was full. I have been adding fuel with standard red gas jug ever sense. I was hoping it wasn't a gauge issue but think it's a venting issue.

Lots of boats seem to have this issue. The vents just don't flow enough air, especially the ones that the vent exits in the filler neck.

The vent line works just fine, as long as you don't get any fuel trapped in it. Ours did the same thing as you guys are complaining about, but it has taken fuel at full speed now for years.

There are funnels and other long necked fuel gadjets that work because they insert the gas far enough down the neck to get past the vent return hole. That keeps gas out of the vent line.

Google Perko fuel filler and you'll see what I mean about the vent placement.

Back