Wooden Kayak

WoodenPontoon

Reaction score
I started building this kayak about 3 years ago with my then 12-year old, nephew.  It is finally getting some varnish and will be ready for a spring launch.

Beautiful work. :wub:

WOW! That looks nicer than your boat Dan.       :p

Beautiful Yak!

Nice!!!!

Amazing! 

You do beautiful work Dan.  What kind of wood is it?

Hope it floats :blink:

Wow that is impressive! 

What kind of wood is it?
The deck is mostly "book-matched" Western Cedar.  I found boards of different contrasting colors.  The top ends are a combination of curly maple and sapelle.

My nephew thought that I was crazy, flipping strips of cedar boards around on the floor while trying to find a pattern that I liked.

The deck is mostly "book-matched" Western Cedar.  I found boards of different contrasting colors.  The top ends are a combination of curly maple and sapelle.

My nephew thought that I was crazy, flipping strips of cedar boards around on the floor while trying to find a pattern that I liked.
Taking your time and planning by selecting the correct color combination was well worth the effort Dan as that is what makes it look so cool

I'm still waiting on the wood truck and trailer to haul the boat and now the kayak to the lake!

Now that's just silly. Why build something out of wood when you can buy it out of plastic...? Lol. JUST KIDDING!!!! You do phenomenal work sir. Not sure what is a step above art, but your work is just that a cut above the rest. (Pun intended)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and the tears that will flow with the first time it hits a rocky bottom.. Talk about a sad day!

He travels with wood putty and a can of minwax!

Very nice, looks great!

Thanks for all the compliments!

This project was intended to teach him about boat building.  Instead, I think he learned that he didn't like building boats,  too much sanding, which is NOT fun!!!!

As a teenager, I built a 14' wooden sail boat.  I discovered that I loved starting projects but finishing them can be a PITA.  

As a teenager, I built a 14' wooden sail boat. I discovered that I loved starting projects but finishing them can be a PITA.
I agree. In high school (with 2 friends) we were going to build 3 cedar strip canoes. We decided after the first we were done. Although I wish that I was the one who ended up with the one we did finish ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back