Yamaha 115 Prop Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

basshawk84

Reaction score
Hey, new member here and new Bennington owner as well.  I have a 2012 22SSL TriToon with a Yamaha 115 Four stroke engine, Yamaha stainless 15" prop.  A idle, it makes what I can best describe as a metal clanging type noise in both forward and reverse.  AS soon as you add a small amount of throttle the noise goes away.  I was told by a dealer that that is normal for stainless props on the smaller Yamaha four stroke engines.  I've had bass boats and ski boats for 30+ years, but this is my first pontoon and my first four stroke.  Anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks!!

Prop rattle. Very common. Nothing to worry about, just annoying. You can get a hub that is softer and will absorb the vibration, or as Carl has suggested before, you can heavily cake marine grease between the hub and prop, which I believe does work as I did this accidentally two years ago and had no rattle, then the rattle came back last year after I had put far less grease on the hub. I didn't realize that would make the difference until Carl mentioned it.  I plan to cake the hub up with grease again this summer to see if that was it. If not, I'll get a FloTorq hub upgrade for around $80.  It is designed to eliminate prop rattle.

On the other hand, the prop rattle is fun when you have new people on your boat for their first time.  You should see the looks on their faces when you are far from the marina and you start acting like something is wrong with the engine when the prop rattles badly...  What the hell is that?  It's never made that noise before.  Something is seriously wrong with the motor.  I hope that oar is on here somewhere.  Anyone know how an oar works?  Ha ha.  Works ESPECIALLY good on high schoolers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a Yamaha SDS Reliance prop? I think that's the one that's supposed to take care of that issue or make it almost unnoticeable.  Mine does that but I don't have the SDS Reliance  prop because I liked a different prop better. I don't even notice it anymore and as you say apply even a tiny bit of power and it goes away. It is very common and nothing to worry about from what I read.

Actually I'm not sure if the Reliance prop is for idle chatter or if it's suppose to eliminate the clunk when shifting from forward to reverse.

OK, I may try to pack it with grease when I get it into the boat stall this week.  Thanks for the responses!!

"Actually I'm not sure if the Reliance prop is for idle chatter or if it's suppose to eliminate the cluck when shifting from forward to reverse."

Royal4, yup, the above statement from your post is correct.

I did a little more investigating and the prop is a Michigan Wheel 3 blade stainless, 13 3/8 x 15.  With 2 people, 1/2 tank of gas I was turning around 5800 rpm on a couple of runs.  The prop seems a bit sluggish out of the hole, so that combined with the chatter I may look to change it.  Any recommendations?  It's a 2012 22 SSL Tritoon with lifting strakes on both sides of each 25" toon with a Yamaha F115 4 stroke engine.

I was impressed with my Spitfire when I had a 115. It's a Merc prop, but should fit with the right hub.

A reliance SDS prop will stop the chatter. Not sure if they come in the size you need though.

Well I bought a 13" Quicksilver Nemesis 4 blade prop and tried it out yesterday.  It's quiet, came up on plane fast and the top end is 32 mph at 6100 rpm.  So the same top end as the 15" stainless 3 blade but outperforms the three blade in all of the other aspects.  Only one issue, it's is damn hard to turn the steering wheel above 4000 rpm.  A lot of torque on the wheel and I have the SeaStar steering.  So, I guess I will try a 15" 3 blade aluminum and see how that does.  The dealer I bought the Nemesis from will let me trade out till I find the one that works.

Is the Nemesis the Quicksilver version of the Spitfire?

Did you have the same issue with the Spitfire on your 115?

I recall no steering torque difference with the spitfire. It had noticeably better acceleration and it held higher speeds when tubing. It still wasn't enough to to turn my 115 into a 150 though. Only thousands in cash and prizes can do that.

Understood.  I've got a buddy looking for a 150 replacement but until then I'll get the 115 performing the best I can.

Amazing how many of us that purchased the 115 have upgraded to the 150 or want to.  I hope dealers are seeing this and take notice. 

I think they know.

Know they can sell two motors, that is.  Those bat rastards.

Or in my case sell you a boat that max hp is 115, so then you have to buy a new boat as well!

Cable adjustments can be out. if this only happens a bottom speed it may not be completely shifting into gear. It may the be the same noise you hear when shifting. Had this happen on another boat I had (not a Bennington)

It was definitely the stainless prop.  I changed to the 4 blade aluminum and no noise at idle.

I have a 2015 24 SRX tri toon with a Yamaha 115 running the Talon SS 14 pitch and runs out great with a load of 6 adults and 4 kids turns 6,000 rpm at 30 mph there is some prop rattle at idle dealer told me same thing normal noise. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back