Yamaha 115 Throttle issue

doug

Reaction score
This is my first pontoon experience and also my first Yamaha outboard. I have a dumb question.

When I push the throttle foreward to 3/4-full and let go of it, the throttle returns to almost neutral. Kind of like the old motorcycle throttles used to do. If I want to run wide open I have to hold the throttle forward the whole time.

My other boating buddies have never had an engine to do this.

Is this normal or does it need an adjustment?

I bought the rig used.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, there is a throttle tension adjustment screw, look on the underside of the throttle housing for a pop out cap, there is a hex screw under the cap for adjusting tension. Tighten it up a little at a time until the throttle feels right, don't go any tighter than needed. Hope this helps :)

My F115 does the same thing at about 3000 rpm's, and the throttle moves the engine back to 1900. Once I get to about 3500 RPM's, it stays put. I will have this addressed during my service visit. Good info!

Will

Doug, there is a throttle tension adjustment screw, look on the underside of the throttle housing for a pop out cap, there is a hex screw under the cap for adjusting tension. Tighten it up a little at a time until the throttle feels right, don't go any tighter than needed. Hope this helps :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Had the same issue with my last boat when it was new. Took a couple minutes to tighten up as posted above.

Back