Yamaha 150 Prop Recommendation

SGCENTRE

Reaction score
2008 2275RL Tritoon with Yamaha 150. Original prop was stolen and owner replaced with a Yamaha 6g5-4594501 14 x 19 prop. RPMs are down to 4700. I am looking to buy it but want the dealer to change out prop. What prop would your recommend. My thoughts are either the 14.625 x 16 (6g545952000) from Yamaha or step up to the Reliance 14.5 x 15 that Bennington uses now p/n 68f459701000.

Any recommendation or advice appreciated.

Enertia 15x15p.

Go with the Reliance. I have the 15 pitch and it is great. I'd also have that motor looked at. If that was run for a long period of time with that prop that motor was really lugged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enertia is great prop. Thanks Todd!

Get a 15 pitch.  Reliance is the Yamaha version.  So, either.

I would ask how long the 19 pitch was on it and how much WOT.  Motor likely was lugging with that one...

Opps. Didn't read Andy's post all the way. He is right.

Thanks for the advice. Reliance props seem to be on back order unless you're buying a new boat. I had the 19 removed and replaced with a Solas aluminum 14 1/2 x 15 to test (matches the specs of the Reliance on the Performance Bulletin). RPMs went from 4700 to 6800. Should I expect the same with the Reliance? Speed is good but RPM to high now. What should I try next.

Thanks

6800???????? Way to high!!!!! I'm just a hair under 6,000 with my 15" reliance prop on my 200 yamaha

Yes, 6800 is way too high.  Yamaha recommends 5800 - 6000 for optimum WOT.  Perhaps increase pitch to 16 or 17 (if you have availability).

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - Finally went to talk to Yamaha mechanic. 6800 ended up being a tachometer problem. Yamaha has a safety feature that will sound alarm and cut the engine back at anything over 6000 RPM. Tach now reading 5800 RPM with aluminum 14.5 x 15. Reliance SS prop on backorder. Thanks for your advice.

I'm on my 2nd week with my 2018 22SSRX with SPS package and F150 Yamaha as well. I didn't want to push it too much until the motor is broken in, but I did notice that I was at 4100 RPMs yesterday at around 25-26mph with just me and my wife aboard. We had a full tank of fuel (32 gals) and between with me, my wife and large dog and gear aboard probably ad another 600lbs.
Does that RPM to SPEED ratio sound normal or is that not enough information?

I did WOT throttle for about 30 seconds twice and the max I could get was around 35-36mph. Dealer says it should do 40-42mph. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the RPMs at that time. I will do that on the next trip out.

I know nothing about trimming the motor. prop size or what the RPMs and speed should be so any advice would be helpful.

DanielG When you get the chance try bumping up the trim once and watch the speed, it should increase until you have to much. I generally give mine 1/4 of the way up from all the way down up to about 1/2 way or more is my maximum speed. But you just bump it up and watch your speed. your speed will go up until it is too high. Then back off a bump. You will get the hang of it. You don't have to be WOT to learn. get going in your 20's and play with the trim button.

I'm on my 2nd week with my 2018 22SSRX with SPS package and F150 Yamaha as well. I didn't want to push it too much until the motor is broken in, but I did notice that I was at 4100 RPMs yesterday at around 25-26mph with just me and my wife aboard. We had a full tank of fuel (32 gals) and between with me, my wife and large dog and gear aboard probably ad another 600lbs.

I did WOT throttle for about 30 seconds twice and the max I could get was around 35-36mph. Dealer says it should do 40-42mph. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the RPMs at that time. I will do that on the next trip out.

I know nothing about trimming the motor. prop size or what the RPMs and speed should be so any advice would be helpful.
I have the same boat(2017) but with a V-max SHO. I hit 41mph(GPS) at around 6000 rpm(WOT) trimmed up around 3/4 with a 14.5" 15P SS prop.

I have a 24 ssrx with a 150, max RPM runs about 5800-6000, speed trimmed up and 2 people I can max out 39 mph. Use your trim to get your toons out of the water to reduce drag,,, and improve ride. I accelerate with my trim gauge at almost the 1/2 trim level. It planes really nice and will already have the toons at a good running point... I usually trim up from there.

I have a 24 ssrx with a 150, max RPM runs about 5800-6000, speed trimmed up and 2 people I can max out 39 mph. Use your trim to get your toons out of the water to reduce drag,,, and improve ride. I accelerate with my trim gauge at almost the 1/2 trim level. It planes really nice and will already have the toons at a good running point... I usually trim up from there.

What prop are you using?

This is almost describing my situation. When I’m at WOT and full trim, my trim gauge is almost half way between the full up and the 3/4 up marks. Any more than that,it starts pushing air. I run just a few decimal points over 38 MPH on GPS.

Back