Yamaha 1st service and warranty?

mikeb33

Reaction score
Last year the 2019 SSRXP w/yamaha 150 we ordered came in but with a few things wrong. After some discussion, they offered to re order a 2020 and let us use the 2019 until then. The said they would transfer the Yamaha 150 to the 2020 when it arrived. We used the 2019 for the end of summer and put about 10-12 hours on it, then they picked it up for winter storage. In the meantime, the 2020 arrived and at some point they swapped the motor over. A few weeks ago I asked about getting the 2020 in the water and asked if they could do my first oil change. When I got the boat, they said the oil was still clean and no need yet.

Now when I drove the 2020 the steering effort seems higher at lower speeds. Both had hydraulic(but not power) steering. I went to dealer yesterday and asked about the steering, maybe something to adjust? He said I must be due for my required by warranty 20 hour service soon. Drive it for a few weekends then bring it in for the 20 hour and they will look at the steering issue. He said it will run $4-500. I said "$4-500 for an oil change"? He said it is a 20 hour service required by Yamaha for my warranty and includes a 60 point inspection and replacement of any filters, plugs or anything else needed.

Should I need ANYTHING but an oil change at 20 hours?

My 20 hour services were nothing but oil change They looked over everything but the cost was a little over a $100.

Ray

Read this first... I personally do all the annual maintenance and winterization myself... cost a little money to get all the tools/gear but really easy after your first time. Keep all your receipts and it won’t impact your motor warranty.

Attachments

• Maintenance_Matters_Brochure_-_Final_Full_Run_Production.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 56
I am quite capable and did service on my last boat, but I haven't bought a trailer(yet). I've been trying to weigh the purchase cost $3-4K versus savings of doing seasonal in/out, storage and maintenance.

I always change my own fluids and filters. You can buy kits online where it comes in one box or go to your local marina/service center. They will have everything you need.

I can do mine for 5 years for $500.

UPDATE!
I had the boat in for it's 20 hour service in August when it was 3 month old. I had a little issue with the drivers adjustable seat not locking and the steering seemed tight so I asked about that. On a Sunday I drove the boat to the dock at the marina and left it for them. I called on Wednesday to see if it was done and they said not yet. I called Friday at 3 and they said they would get back to me. At 6 I was annoyed and I called and got voicemail. Around 7 my neighbor said I just saw it down at your dock (across the street from my house, but I can't see it from there). So they were nice enough to deliver it, but not tell me.

I never heard anything or received an invoice. Until today. I just opened an invoice in the mail for $937 For the seat, steering and 20 hour service. WTF? Also on the invoice is $1,000 for indoor storage. They don't even have my boat. I had another company take it for the winter storage.

Find another dealer if possible. You shouldn’t have to pay for anything but the oil change, all of the rest should be warranty work. Call them hopefully it was just a billing mistake. If not they are crooks.

Dealer performed 20 hr earlier this year, $340.

I also opted out of the trailer due to storage constraints living in the ‘burbs. Could have used one a few times this year for maintenance (motor and hull) but really what hurt was not being able to take it around to other bodies of water. Plan on ‘21 is Airbnb some waterfront cottages and run around the Chesapeake Bay, so hopefully the dealer will be willing to rent one. If not I’ll have to bite the bullet.

Agree with Carlson..... warranty work. Must be a billing oversight. Just call them and remind them. Our Mercury 20 hr. service had no charge last summer. Our dealer even offered to come to our dock to do it........

Dealer performed 20 hr earlier this year, $340.

I also opted out of the trailer due to storage constraints living in the ‘burbs. Could have used one a few times this year for maintenance (motor and hull) but really what hurt was not being able to take it around to other bodies of water. Plan on ‘21 is Airbnb some waterfront cottages and run around the Chesapeake Bay, so hopefully the dealer will be willing to rent one. If not I’ll have to bite the bullet.
Bite the bullet and buy a trailer. You won't have to rely on anybody if you need to take your boat out for any reason. Especially if you want to take your boat to the bay next year. Plus you've got Lake Anna, Lake Gaston and Smith mountain lake. All fine lakes within the state.....

My dealer made the mistake on billing me for warranty work once. It was fixed it with a simple phone call. Did you try that?

Bite the bullet and buy a trailer. You won't have to rely on anybody if you need to take your boat out for any reason. Especially if you want to take your boat to the bay next year. Plus you've got Lake Anna, Lake Gaston and Smith mountain lake. All fine lakes within the state.....
SML for sure, love that place. Gaston/Kerr and Anna are ok. I really want to explore the VA side of the Chesapeake such as Mobjack Bay - redfish, trout, flounder, striper... lots of clean water and easy fishing for the kiddos. Bucket list is doing the Great Loop in the old tin barge so some big saltwater experience is a plus as well.

Update:
I stopped in at the marina to discuss my invoice. I had to explain to them that my boat was not in their storage facility so they removed the $1,000 for storage. The remaining $937 was $337 for winterizing and $600 for 20 hour service. After a while I got through that they could not have winterized my boat in July and they don't have it in the winter so that came off too. Then we got into the $600 oil change. He said he would look into it and sent me an email describing the services done:

INSPECT BATTERY
CHECK FOR COOLING WATER LEAKAGE
CHECK FOR ENGINE STARTING CONDITION/NOISE
CHECK FOR ENGINE IDLE SPEED/NOISE
CHANGE ENGINE OIL
CHECK/CHANGE FUEL FILTER
CHECK FUEL LINE
CHECK FOR FUEL /ENGINE OIL LEAKAGE
CHANGE GEAR OIL
GREASE POINTS
CHECK POWER TRIM/TILT UNIT AND FLUID LEVEL
CHECK PROPELLER/NUT/COTTER PIN/SHAFT
CHECK LINK/SHIFT CABLE
CHECK/CHANGE SPARK PLUGS
CHECK WATER FROM THE COOLING WATER PILOT HOLE
CHECK THROTTLE LINK/THROTTLE CABLE/THROTTLE PICKUP TIMING
CHECK COOLING WATER INLET
CHECK MAIN SWITCH/STOP SWITCH/CHOKE SWITCH
WCHECK WIRE HARNESS CONNECTION/WIRE COUPLER CONNECTIONS
CHECK YAMAHA METER/GAUGE
PLUG IN TO LAPTOP AND CHECK FOR CODES

He offered to discount it to $500 as a courtesy. The boat had 3 months and 20 hours on it. $500 still seems like I'm being gouged.

I think the only way to really call BS is to get a breakdown on parts and labor. I can almost guarantee they will refuse to do this because either will then appear inflated. But then again, it sounds like he quoted you up to $500 earlier in the year and you accepted it - so at this point not sure there is much recourse. Negotiating the number down after the work is done is tough and borderline re-trading on your end.

Yes $500 sounds steep (as noted mine was about half) but there could me more to the story. Maybe business was on fire and they raised their labor rates? Maybe they had to sub it out to a contractor to keep up with the work load which costs more?

Not my money but I’d accept the reductions, thank them for working with you and not risk souring a relationship. It sucks to overpay and we can empathize with you - maybe the lack of trailer opened you up to a gouge. Sounds like you need options for future work.

Good luck and thanks for the update!

Looks like a ton of fluff to me for a 20 hour service visit. Most of the items that say "check..." would take only a few seconds. CHECK WATER FROM THE COOLING WATER PILOT HOLE - Hmmm, never seen that one on my service list or invoice in 30 years of having service. A good shop will provide a quote with services and prices upfront and then call you if anything changes. I would not take my boat back to that place. They tried to screw you over with the services that were not even performed.

I agree with above, find a different service location. Pay this and do not go back. They are either crooks or unbelievably unorganized which both are things I do not want to worry about. Best of luck and happy pontooning!

Looks like a ton of fluff to me for a 20 hour service visit. Most of the items that say "check..." would take only a few seconds. CHECK WATER FROM THE COOLING WATER PILOT HOLE - Hmmm, never seen that one on my service list or invoice in 30 years of having service. A good shop will provide a quote with services and prices upfront and then call you if anything changes. I would not take my boat back to that place. They tried to screw you over with the services that were not even performed.
To be fair, the dealer likely just listed items from the Yamaha maintenance checklist:

1BEEEF30-3512-4AB7-9E2D-A3AB5EF85DE9.jpeg

Finally I have an itemized bill, not just a statement. After going there in person and 7 emails back and forth, they took off the winterizing and storage(since they didn't even do it) and that leaves the 20 hour service:
Parts Subtotal $96.92
Labor Description Technician Total 20 Hour Check - Outboard $492.00
Labor Subtotal $492.00
Shop Supplies $49.20
FUEL SURCHARGE $3.95
FREIGHT $4.92 Job
Subtotal $646.99

So like I said in the first post, they said it would be $400-$500 and I took it there anyway but this is way over that. I got the guy to adjust it to $473 so I am paying that and learning a lesson. I am also buying a trailer so I am never at they mercy again.

Back