Yamaha 250 SHO prop shaft

Kurt

Reaction score
from the minute I put my boat into the water I noticed a vibration. The salesman came out and went for a ride and said he didn’t really notice. Made sure the prop was balanced but vibration persisted. Finally brought it into a local prop shop. they checked the propshaft and note is was off by 0.045!! Anyone ever hear of a prop shaft being that bad from the factory?

from the minute I put my boat into the water I noticed a vibration. The salesman came out and went for a ride and said he didn’t really notice. Made sure the prop was balanced but vibration persisted. Finally brought it into a local prop shop. they checked the propshaft and note is was off by 0.045!! Anyone ever hear of a prop shaft being that bad from the factory?

I have not. Glad you caught it early. Should be a simple matter of a warranty claim. Stinks though from a boating through the end of summer and into fall perspective.

Not sure what the spec is on the prop shaft but there was another member here a while back that had a vibration on his 250 SHO. Dealer said it was no way due to the prop (non-Yamaha) and the Yamaha SW Series II were on backorder. The owner persisted and when he finally got the right SWS II prop, it completely solved his problem. Just something to keep in mind...

Yep. Checked the prop and that is all good. Checked the propshaft and that was off. Initially gave me He “never heard of that before” routine but are going to replace it under warranty since I communicated (and documented it) from the day I took the boat out.

FYI, make sure your j sueance h

I am not sure what my “FYI” think is?! Might have typed that in my sleep.

GNC, I thought it may have been the prop also so that was the first thing I checked. Even ran a couple of different props. When we took the boat to the prop shop and spun the prop on the motor, you could actually see that prop shaft was off with the naked eye. Hopefully once fixed this will make me like the 250 SHO better. So far I like its performance but it is much louder than my friends Merc 300 verado. Went with the Yamaha 250 SHO based on recommendations from my salesman. A little disappointed since he knew 90% of my driving is putt putt with friends and thus quiet is what we wanted most. Maybe with a straight prop shaft I will be a little happier?

Can't imagine a bent shaft would get through Yamaha's QC (wondering if bent later) but regardless of how, a vibration would really annoy me so I hope they get it resolved for you real soon!

Back