Yamaha 250 Vmax SHO analog gauges vs digital...

rvrkids

Reaction score
Are the digital gauges really worth the extra $. The analog gauges only show fuel, tach and trim. You can't tell temp or oil pressure. If there is a problem I understand there is a horn warning but no indication as to what the problem is whereas the digital gauges tell you if there is a warning for oil or engine temp...not sure what else.

Is it worth it?

I’m in your position, sort of. I have a 2013 model with the analog gauges and would love something that has the oil pressure and temp also.

Are the digital gauges really worth the extra $. The analog gauges only show fuel, tach and trim. You can't tell temp or oil pressure. If there is a problem I understand there is a horn warning but no indication as to what the problem is whereas the digital gauges tell you if there is a warning for oil or engine temp...not sure what else.

Is it worth it?

You could also go with a Simrad and network into it, as there’s a gauge screen as one of the screen options.

I have the mercury smart gauges and wouldn't order one without! They show, Air temp, Trim level, Oil Temp, oil pressure, water pressure, GPH, MPG, and so many more readings...

I have the Yamaha digital gauges and I think they are worth it as they "talk" directly with the motor. Nice to see exactly what's going on as I'm running the boat.

I have the Yamaha Command Link and they are spendy but love knowing what is happening in real time without having to depend on my Simrad to see temp, oil pressure etc. I am a bit OCD so well worth it to me but it is a subjective decision.
However, if you already have a Nav unit that is NMEA compatible then it would be cheaper to go that route as all you need is a cable and sensors. But, if you lose the Nav then you lose the ability to see engine functions.

I have the mercury smart gauges and wouldn't order one without! They show, Air temp, Trim level, Oil Temp, oil pressure, water pressure, GPH, MPG, and so many more readings...
Not to hijack the post, but my Merc smartcraft air temp has never worked correctly, so much so that I figured I must not have that option after all.

I love the digital gauges !

As long as the boat starts when I ask it, shifts into F-N-R and I see it peeing, that is all I need!!!

Lake,
I was of that mind for over 55 years until i overheated in a friends boat last year which was peeing.
Apparently, it was peeing but not enough water was going through to cool it after going through some surface water weeds and got itself clogged. I like to keep it simple but it is also nice to see the psi of water going through the engine to see if the pressure has fallen off as well as the accurate temp of the motor. Again, a matter of preference.

You could also go with a Simrad and network into it, as there’s a gauge screen as one of the screen options.
How does one go about getting that done? I have the SIMRAD but nothing is connected. I wish I would have know when I ordered the boat, I would have paid to have it done at the factory.

You probably have to get the network adapter harness for your motor, and you need to get a NMEA starter kit. This usually gives you 1-2 “T’s”.
I’m pretty sure factory wouldn’t have done it. Your dealer has to do it when they rig motor.

How does one go about getting that done? I have the SIMRAD but nothing is connected. I wish I would have know when I ordered the boat, I would have paid to have it done at the factory.

You need to set up a NEMA network work which can be don right under the helm. You can google it. I had an electrician friend do it. You must have DEC engine and gauges.

I've seen Yamaha brand 'x' boats at the shows with SHO motors rigged to the display screens but of course, not under power, so not sure which parameters are all available.

Has anyone here hooked up their SHO to a NMEA display?

Back