Yamaha Break In Period

Yes they do.

When I got my Yamaha I didn't know what I was doing so to be sure I copied and pasted Yamahas break in instructions and left it on the boat,  Here is what I had:

Yamaha Break in Procedure

1. Hour 1 (First Hour)

Run engine at 2000 RPM (approx. ½ throttle)

2. Hour 2 (Second Hour)

Run engine at 3000 RPM (approx. 3/4 throttle)

3. Hour 3 – 10 (Next 8 Hours)

Avoid continuous operation at Full Throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time

4. After the first 10 hours

Operate the engine normally

I would tell you to warm up the engine fully before you throw the throttle to it.

And when you're in step #3, don't be afraid to run the hell out of the engine for a minute or two.  The harder you run them, the better the rings get broken in.

The F150 remains the standard of the engine in its horsepower class.

We did the 10 hour break in and then the 20 hour service. we have the 4/s 150 love our Bennington

I thought I saw something also that it is good to vary the rpm's while in those stages of breakin as well

Derrick won't answer this, I don't think he's owned one long enough to break one in ...... Lol !!!

First hour - varying throttle UP to 2000 rpm (or half throttle if you don't have tach)

Second hour - accelerate hard enough to put the boat on plane (do not use full throttle ) then back off enough to keep boat on plane 

Next 8 hours run motor at all speeds but don't run at Wide Open Throttle for more than 5 minutes per hour of running 

After 10 hours, LET HER RIP!!!! Haha

Semper,  I've gotten to do ALL the break ins, just not the 20 hour services!! Haha

Mercury engines are about the same break-in but no extended idling and always vary speed first 10 hours.but the first service is 100 hrs.or 12 months

You know, after posting this I half way expected someone to say "read the darn owners manual". I'm glad you guys took pity on me and gave me great advice. I suspect many here have been waiting for their boat to be delivered and couldn't help but post a question that will be in the owners manual. Waiting is tough! 

Thanks! 

First hour - varying throttle UP to 2000 rpm (or half throttle if you don't have tach)

Second hour - accelerate hard enough to put the boat on plane (do not use full throttle ) then back off enough to keep boat on plane 

Next 8 hours run motor at all speeds but don't run at Wide Open Throttle for more than 5 minutes per hour of running 

After 10 hours, LET HER RIP!!!! Haha

Semper,  I've gotten to do ALL the break ins, just not the 20 hour services!! Haha
Oops, sorry, my bad ..... LOL !!!!!!

You know, after posting this I half way expected someone to say "read the darn owners manual". I'm glad you guys took pity on me and gave me great advice. I suspect many here have been waiting for their boat to be delivered and couldn't help but post a question that will be in the owners manual. Waiting is tough! 

Thanks! 
That's what makes this forum great, the people on it. Sure every once and a while we will politely remind or tell people about the value of the search bar on top, but we also give the answer regardless. Great group of people, it's why I keep coming back!

I thought it was my posts.... Darn.

I thought my Mercury manual said WOT for 1 minute out of every 10... that might have been after the first two hours, I'd have to look. Point is, make sure you verify with your manual before you start. I did my full break in alone over two days as I knew my wife wouldn't like me varying the throttle all the time!

Thanks for the info , bought the T60 and had no idea it needed a break in period

Will have on the water with dealer soon

My question is with a Yamaha T60 washing the engine out with fresh water via a hose 

Should I be concerned about hard water damaging the motor

39413638.jpg

If you're in fresh water there is no need to flush.

Called Yamaha 

They gave me an ear full of why to flush

I was concerned about hard tap water here locally

They say I should blow out after flushing

Others here say like you flushing is not necessary

I think I am going to follow your advice

I am not looking for a lot of work

Looking forward to relaxation and enjoyment

Will be using boat daily on lake weather permitting

Taking possession May 1st 

Just like a kid looking forward to Christmas Day 

92486963.jpg

I am in salt water so flushing will be a routine after every trip. anne know how much I should open hose? all the way half way? and for how long.

Back