Yamaha F200 vs Vmax sho

jsur

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I previously started the thread SPS vs ESP.  I certainly received the information I was looking for (very grateful in fact) and I am now debating my engine choice.  I figured I would start a new thread as the other one was really getting off topic.  I have a 2350 RBR on order currently with a Yamaha F200.  However, I am wondering if it worth the extra $$$ for the Vmax Sho.  I would consider the VF200 or possibly the VF225.  I have looked at the performance bulletins and see that there is only a few second difference in the 0-30 mph times on similarly equipped boats.  It also seems as if the there is a few mph difference on top end speed.  I am new to boating and watersports and I am wondering if this is 'real world' significant or the F200 will be more than enough.  I do plan on tubing and skiing and at times will likely have several 200+ pound men on board.  Is this worth the upgrade?  Thanks in advance.

If you're going to load the boat with 200+lb men, then go bigger. You don't have to use it all the time, but it's nice to have when you need the power.

I guess what I am asking, is there anybody that has driven similar boats with both motors and really noticed a difference? This would be like Tom's post about esp vs sps and he had tried both. I would prefer the better gas mileage if there is not really a perceivable difference.

I really liked my 200SHO. I was going to get another on my current boat because it was already totally past anything resembling my comfortable dollar amount, but the wife said get the 250 because she didn't want to hear me say "I wish we would have gotten the/a..........." ever again. Silly girl doesn't she know they make 350's and inboards? Hahaha. 250 is just bragging rights for me compared to anything else on my lake. I was quite pleased with how it held its speed with 11 passengers on it though.

Anybody else with additional input? I think tomorrow is probably the last day I can make a change.

I went through the exact same debate before ordering our 2250 GSR. I started out with the F200, but after further review (much of it through input on this forum) we changed to the VF250. I wanted to be able to get a slalom skier up out of the water with a full load of folks on the boat. Data convinced me that hole shot is better with theVMax, so we made the change. Can't give you an assessment of the performance yet, as our build date is April 21st.

From what I have found the F series motor run quiter and a little better on gas. The VF SHO motors are little louder and have better hole shot and midrange power. We got a VF250 on our 2250 GSR with the ESP package. We wanted the extra power for water sports. If you are thinking of a 225 ask your dealer to break down the difference in price of a 200, 225, and a 250. You will be surprised from a 200 to a 225 is about $2,000 difference but from a 225 to a 250 is only a few hundred dollars difference. Either motor would be just fine it is all in what you are looking for. Remember easier to go bigger now then later.

Hey JSUR, Harse makes great points, but I literally went from an F200 to a VF200 just weeks ago, and the SHO is MUCH quieter. The performance is about the same on the top end, but the F200 had to absolutely scream to get there, while the SHO is hardly working. For that reason, I was able to prop up a little and get an extra 4 miles an hour out of the show... It has a low, dull roar, while the F200 had a louder, higher pitch growl. Old folk would say it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That's how I feel about my SHO... I don't think I'd ever go back.

My old 2014 22sx Benny with a 175F motor was quiet, my 2020 Benny 23R w/ 250 SHO is too loud. Cannot talk above 15 MPH.

My old 2014 22sx Benny with a 175F motor was quiet, my 2020 Benny 23R w/ 250 SHO is too loud. Cannot talk above 15 MPH.
I get that for sure... No idea what year, or if your older SHO was there 4 stroke, but the current VF200, being 6 cylinder and big bore, doesn't work as hard as there F200 to get up to power. I pinky promise, it's a lower pitched roar and doesn't nearly hit F200 volume. May be different once you go to VF250 and tax it a bit, but the VF200 is considerably less noisy than the F200 at wide open throttle. Again just an observation.

Back