Yamaha motor break in maintenance

Larson1865

Reaction score
Ok, i know this will create spme controversy. I just broke in my yamaha 115 motor with ten hours. According to the manual i am now supposed to change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and lower unit lube. I will be lucky to get another 15 hours on it before i winterize it this fall where according to the manual i am supposed to do it again. Does this make sense? I am tryimg to protect my investment but i also want to be realistic. Thoughts???

Just wait until you winterize it. It's not going to hurt anything.

Weird, my last 3 Yamaha's all said 20 hours. After 10 you could use it normally without any restrictions. I agree with others,  if your aren't going to put another 30 hours on it this year, I would wait.

The break in maintenance is still at 20 hours. You should be good with an additional 5 hours.

6ee184336f3d81f96c37fb774488d80c_zps8485c92f.jpg

You weren't imagining things on seeing the reference to 10 hours.  I'm looking at a Yamaha "Maintenance Matters" pamphlet right now that says to do the initial at 10 hours, but the more specific operating manual that came with the engine clearly said do the initial at 20 hours.  When I asked my dealer's mechanics (Yamaha certified) about the discrepancy they said stick to the 20, and also suggested if I wasn't going to use the motor much to just wait until we winterize it since I don't have a trailer and have to pay to get it hauled.  Not really an option for me since I'm up to 60 hours already :D  but in your case I think you can wait.

I had a certified Yamaha Dealer do the 20 hour oil change etc in order to maintain warranty

They like using Yamaha parts, especially the filter which is far superior.

The major check up is the 100 hour check up

My 20 hour check up cost me 125.00 seemed expensive

108672170.jpg

My 20 hour maintenance was $130...I thought it was cheap, only because I heard others pay like $200!  It's all relative I guess.

eYoLhiKqcEHokYd-556x313-noPad.jpg

The sign of aging has always been price shock !

I find myself thinking the cost of everything is unrealistic

I must be getting old (lol)

108672042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back