Yamaha outboard will not go down

Joachim

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old Bennington 22GSR with a Yamaha I-4 200 HP outboard.
Just recently I have been having troubles getting the motor to go down when using the switch on my throttle lever.
Just basically get nothing , not even a click.
Sometimes it with end up working after multiple attempts. Other times I need to use the switch located directly on the motor to get the motor down.
Anyone have any experience with this type of issue.
Any advice.
( I called my marina and they want to yank the boat out to investigate. Problem is the marina is at least an hour away and I don’t have a trailer)

I had the same type issue on a ski boat with an I/O. I was able to take the handle apart enough to get to the back of the trim switch. I sprayed some contact cleaner and worked it back and forth for a few minutes and that resolved the issue. So with yours, either the contacts inside the switch have a bit of moisture in them or the switch is failing in the down position. Just my 2 cents.

The good news it is still under warranty and should be covered. The bad news, if you mess with it, you may void the warranty coverage. I hate to say it with the inconvenience, but I’d save that for the dealer or another shop warranty work certified for that boat.

Good advice from Vikingtaff.

Call an "Authorized " Yamaha dealer in your area .They may be able to help you diagnose the issue over the phone .

I just had this happen on my 2014 Yamaha 250 engine. Trim switch would work down but not up and the manual trim would work on the engine itself. I bought the boat this season used with very limited (104) hours on it. I had it looked at by a mechanic he said the trim switch was junk and replaced it. He also uncovered that the hydraulic fluid that goes in the engine was empty and the manual trim switch also was not working. Repair itself only took them an hour to two max. Time was waiting for the part to come in. I used it all weekend and for the moment all is good. With that said it could be either a loose connection in the trim switch or the switch itself is bad.

Thanks for the input. I am right at the 3 year mark which is the Yamaha outboard warranty.
I am going to have to get the boat over to the marina I bought it at which is in Indiana. It’s about a 60 mile trip from my place on Marble Lake in Coldwater which complicates things but they said they will take care of it.

You mentioned the switch on the outboard itself works fine to lower the motor. Thus, it seems highly likely the problem is in the trim switch (at the throttle) or the wiring from that switch to the motor (which others have mentioned). I would think that would fall under the Bennington warranty and not the Yamaha warranty, as there appears to be no problem with the motor itself.

I “think” motor and rigging is “YAMAHA” warranty???? I don’t think that falls under Bennington.

Warranty will not be extended to non-factory installed items, including, but not limited to, engines and the installation of its components or additional time for adjustments or final assembly for delivery. Bennington will not be responsible nor liable for warranty coverage from use of equipment that exceeds the manufacturing load capacities, certification or horse power for the product. Modifications, alterations, or repairs performed by unauthorized personnel may invalidate all or part of the Bennington warranty. Corrosion due to using non-marine grade screws and fasteners to add, replace, or repair any items will not be covered by warranty. Contact Bennington Customer Service before making any custom changes

Back