Yamaha Tachometer/Engine Hour Meter

Truthinthedetails

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha 250 VMax SHO. My tachometer is analog, but it has a digital engine hour meter integrated into it at the bottom of the gauge. To the left of that window is what appears to be a tiny hourglass shaped symbol that blinks. What the heck is that?

Not to sound like a smartass as I've never owned a yammie. But wouldn't that be the engine hour meter? Does it go away if you put key in accessory to play radio?

The analog tach is the top part of the gauge. On the bottom is a digital screen. The engine hours are displayed on the right hand side and this "symbol" on tHe left. It does not go away when you put the key in.....it never goes away. It always blinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about blinking with turning the key on? Or, just putting the key into the ignition on "off" position?

I would think it blinks to tell you that engine hours are being put on the hours indicator. If the engine's not running, you don't want the hours to go up.

Have you addressed this with the installing dealership?

Crap, I had the same gauges, I'm pretty sure it is just your hour meter, when the engine is running I think it blinks like Bamaman was saying. I had the book on instruction book on me yesterday, but gave it all back to the dealer when I gave him the boat yesterday. Take a look in your package of books that the dealer gave you with your boat and it is probably in there, it's like a one page instruction manual. Does Bennington still have the green document bags/new ownership info, when you get the boat?

Perhaps I am not making myself clear. There are are two graphics that are displayed on the digital engine hour guage.....on the right hand side is the engine hour counter. It is an actual numerical display that calculates down to 1/10 of an hour....4.1, 6.2, 9.9, etc..On the left is the hourglass shaped symbol. Only the symbol blinks....not the hours. I don't think the symbol indicates that the engine hour counter is working...you only need to look at the counter and see it is working because you are never more than six minutes away from a digit turning over.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is just an indicator telling you that the hourmeter is working.

This topic came up last season, and after a bit of investigating, that is the answer we came up with :)

Back