Year-End 2014 Discounts

mollylibby

Reaction score
My husband and I are looking at getting a Bennington pontoon.  We are in no hurry to do it right now but we would like to sell our Chapparel 233 deck boat and get a pontoon boat instead.  The dealership says they are willing to deal on 2014's as they are receiving 2015's right now.  We were looking at a more basic 20SMLX but they are offering what they say is a good deal of $36,500 on a 2250 GSR with the following options:

Black w/ crystal cap logos & Vapor graphics

SPS Triple Toon Package

Pillow Top with Mirage accents

115 hp Yamaha

In Floor Storage

Maple Matte Table

Upgraded Captains Chair

Co-Captain Lounge Chair

Full Seagrass

Garmin Echo 300

Sony radio w/ Bluetooth

Curved Bimini w/Blue LED lights

LED upholders & console

Privacy Chaise

Ski Tow Bar

Extended deck w 3 step stainless ladder

I've asked for a full spec sheet for the boat, but from what I can tell, the boat would list for approx. $52,000 -- $36.500 would be a discount of 30% from 2015 retail (at least I am assuming the online prices are for 2015.  I don't know how much prices went up from 2014 to 2015 so will wait until I have the 2014 prices before making an offer.   I've read in this forum that 22-28% off retail is a good guide but that is earlier in the year and when you are custom ordering.  We wouldn't order some of these options, but we like many of the options.  Do you think that is reasonable price?  I am thinking of offering $35,000 (discount of 33%). The dealership has told me they just want to get rid of excess inventory as they've had a slow year due to the cold spring/summer.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether or not you think this is a good deal.  Also, do you think we will be sorry if we don't get upgrade to a 150 hp motor?

Thanks!

If you are looking for great speed, then yes 150. If speed not a concern, 115 should be fine. This is the never ending question.

As for the price, offer it. Worst they can do is say no. Price is relative to market, shipping costs, dealer overhead, etc.... The best price is what you feel comfortable paying. There will always be someone who paid less, but just as many who paid more. Just pay what you feel comfortable with, and then enjoy it !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how good of a guide expecting the 22-28% off list that you've mentioned.  On a new order my dealer told me outright that he's around 11% from the build your own price on Bennington's site.

Yes 

Put a 150 on it and then yes. Oh, and welcome to the party.

Looks to be a well optioned pontoon with good discount.  I'd offer $35,000 with a 150 outboard instead of the 115.  He will probably accept the deal.  

Absolutely go with the 150 as it's the perfect sweet spot package on the triple toon. It would also have greater resale if you ever decide to sell or upgrade (known here as PADS!).

Sweet load out, but I agree on going up to the 150, especially with the tritoon.  That's a great motor, and from what everyone says the performance difference from the 115 is huge.   

I'd be VERY surprised if they would put a 150 on for 35, I highly doubt it. It never hurts to ask, but I wouldn't walk in there expecting that it will happen. You have to be reasonable too. As my old boss always said, profit isn't a dirty word. If your dealer isn't making any profit, then he isn't in business. I'd say 15-22% is doable for most, but as was stated, depending on what kind of shipping costs are tacked on, that can make a difference. Those stating 28-30% either aren't very good at math, or caught the dealer at the perfect time. Well done for you. You didn't mention if this was with a trailer, or if you need one of those too. 

One thing for all of us to keep in mind, this forum can backfire as well. If everyone comes on here and says oh, I got 40% off, they can all do it (obviously I'm exaggerating just to make the point) that in turn can upset dealers about this forum and in turn can cause a ruffle in the all mighty Bennington's feathers. So just keep it in mind. Yes I know that this forum also increases the average boat purchase price of anyone who asks an opinion. Okay, my little rant thing is done. Wasn't trying to offend anyone with it.

The dealer's probably not going 150 hp for $35K.  He's not in business to lose $.

The marine business is not the car business--doing 3/4 of their business April to July.  And some dealers have different deals with marine manufacturers, like volume discounts, cash discounts.  I even heard one dealer say he dumped 4 other pontoon brands to carry only one brand, and he got an extra discount for that. 

And if you flash $3 million at a manufacturer in cash, he'll give you any production slot you want.  After all, boat makers need to build products 12 months out of the year, not just from December until May.  They cannot be efficient laying off production people in slow times.

By 4th of July, they're about through selling for that model year.  That sounds like a good deal on a G model, however I agree about holding out for something with a 150 hp--paying the difference.

If you go with the 150, you probably are going to want at least hydraulic steering too. I have a 150 with just cable steering and it's a lot of work pulling tubes. That's another $1000 or so. $2000 for power steering. If you are going to be pulling tubes with multiple riders, you will want the 150 for sure. The dealer can add the steering options to a boat that's already built.

If you are in no hurry ,there were additional discounts available last December on new orders .

I know what percentage I got ,and I am sticking to it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input!  We will definitely go with the 150!  I agree with BulldogsCadillac that if we are so aggressive with pricing, the dealers won't be able to make it.  I just wasn't sure what the customary margin is for these boats.   I am thinking of offering $36,500 for the boat w the 150.  No trailer.  It does have Sea Star steering also.  I won't go too much higher than that as the boat has several options that I wouldn't probably order anyway and it is getting the the top of what I want to spend on a boat.  If the dealer isn't interested I will probably wait until December and order exactly what I want. 

Thanks for all the input!  We will definitely go with the 150!  I agree with BulldogsCadillac that if we are so aggressive with pricing, the dealers won't be able to make it.  I just wasn't sure what the customary margin is for these boats.   I am thinking of offering $36,500 for the boat w the 150.  No trailer.  It does have Sea Star steering also.  I won't go too much higher than that as the boat has several options that I wouldn't probably order anyway and it is getting the the top of what I want to spend on a boat.  If the dealer isn't interested I will probably wait until December and order exactly what I want. 
May be different where you are but here the dealers expect some negotiation.  Therefore, they do not put out their bottom line offer up front, expecting to come down some in bargaining with the buyer.  I've owned 8 different boats over the years and this is how it has always worked.  You can always come up in price if you feel the dealer is at his rock bottom price. 

Hope it all works out for you.  Good luck. 

If you are in no hurry ,there were additional discounts available last December on new orders .

I know what percentage I got ,and I am sticking to it .
I am not trying to dispute what anyone got for a discount, merely stating that if we all say what discount WE THINK a dealer can give and the prospective buyer goes in with that number in their head and the dealer isn't at that number, then they will think they got ripped off or paid too much. That is all. As was stated, some dealers do have extra deals, and some buy and sell such huge quantities of boats that they can take a lesser margin on the sale then a smaller dealer just trying to get by. I have never once stated on here how much I paid, or what discount I received, frankly because it's no one's business but mine and my dealer. I have said that this boat cost more than my house, but never a number. I know that I felt comfortable with the number, I felt that based on what the MSRP was and what I paid that it was reasonable. I am positive some on here paid less than me, and that is fine. Good for them. My dealer, West Hawk Marine, has been great with me and have treated me great and gave me fair, or better trade in values. I could not ask any more. I know that Jack wasn't arguing or saying anything negative, and this is in no way directed towards him. I just felt like typing this all out because my thumbs are getting fat and needed a workout. (on a tablet) basically to the OP, the dealer was offering it at almost 1/3 off MSRP, if it was a Margarita or package of bacon, you'd probably buy 2! Hehe 

We ordered our 2014 in May of this year, took delivery in late june and received 21% off the MSRP (build your boat price) if that helps any.

Back