Yet another 115 vs 150 thread

netvandal

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at getting a Bennington.  For our needs, the 20 SSX looks like a nice size.  We’re mostly going to be cruising/fishing, but we like to do occasional watersports.  Going to get the SPS package, so 3 logs and lifting strakes.  After reading a lot of threads here, I wanted to get a 150 HP to make sure we’ve got enough power for tubing or even occasionally skiing.  However, it looks like on the 20’ size, the max HP is 115.   Bumping up to the 22 SSX with a 150 is about a $10K upgrade, so I’m wondering if anyone has experience with any of the “high output” 115s that are really closer to 125 in actual output.  The Yamaha 115 SHO or the Mercury 115 Pro XS.  Do they do any better than the standard 115 with a loaded boat?  Or are we better of waiting and saving up for the bigger boat/outboard combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you're maxing out the hp for the hull size plus pushing for a higher performance 115 you should be fine, I've seen multiple boats this summer with 3 logs and 115 and the owners seemed happy with them. Obviously the 150 would be a little faster but if it doesn't fit the budget I think you're on the right track. Best thing you can do is keep an eye out and test ride the similar configuration and see what YOU think. I given many a test ride for my dealer, quite a few led to sales. If you ask any owner I'm sure they'd take you for a spin! 

Just my 2 cents!

My previous boat was a 22' SSRX with the express toon package.  I had a Mercury 115 and we were very happy with it.  Pulled tubes with no problems at all.

I am currently running a 22SLX with a 150 Yamaha and I have the SPS package.  It pulls tubes and skis fantastic and has plenty of get up and go...  I have seen another around with 115 hp and it performs well.  I think on a 20ft boat with SPS a 115 will do a fine job.  Like was mentioned above, if it's in the budget a 22 ft and a 150 hp is a nice setup.

My wife and I are looking at getting a Bennington.  For our needs, the 20 SSX looks like a nice size.  We’re mostly going to be cruising/fishing, but we like to do occasional watersports.  Going to get the SPS package, so 3 logs and lifting strakes.  After reading a lot of threads here, I wanted to get a 150 HP to make sure we’ve got enough power for tubing or even occasionally skiing.  However, it looks like on the 20’ size, the max HP is 115.   Bumping up to the 22 SSX with a 150 is about a $10K upgrade, so I’m wondering if anyone has experience with any of the “high output” 115s that are really closer to 125 in actual output.  The Yamaha 115 SHO or the Mercury 115 Pro XS.  Do they do any better than the standard 115 with a loaded boat?  Or are we better of waiting and saving up for the bigger boat/outboard combo.

I have a 2017 slxp with sps package and Yamaha 115... same use as you and we are very happy with the size and performance.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  ugleeual, great to hear you're happy with a similar boat.  What speeds can you hit?  Have you tried it loaded with 6-8 people?

What's the price difference between a 115 and a 150?!?

Thanks everyone for the advice.  ugleeual, great to hear you're happy with a similar boat.  What speeds can you hit?  Have you tried it loaded with 6-8 people?

Best I've seen with 4 onboard and a full tank of fuel and the Bimini top up is 34 at 5900 rpm.  Plenty of pep going from standstill to being on plane... honestly we've been very happy.  I'm guessing with 6-8 people you'll top out in the high 20s...

Or have the capacity plate changed. I had a 2375 and the dealer accidently they gave me a title for someone elses 350, I did not catch it until I went and sold the boat. My capacity went from 15 to 13. Not saying they will let you, but it is a possibility.

I have a G20 (with extended aft deck), 2 toons and 90 HP. We tube just fine, even with 5 people on the boat. I have also been pulled up on a single ski (I'm 140 lbs.) and my brother got up on 2 skiis (190 lbs.) with no problem. Good luck!

Back