Zero turn mower

Iraq 69

Reaction score
Hey All,

It's time for my 60th birthday gift and I am interested in a Zero turn mower. Anybody have one that can give me some input? Gas or diesel? How big of deck(I have lots of trees to mow around and very rough ground), New or used? I have a budget of up to $5000.00 but I am more interested in a good quality, American built mower, not a big box look-a-like from China.

Any help is appreciated very much.

Thanks,

Marc

We have had an Exmark zero turn mower since about 2001 and love, love, love, love, LOVE it! I think it's 60". We have 6 acres. Most love the zero-turn (obviously!) We bought it from a local small business.

Side story: One time we let our 6 acres grow... but didn't like the way it looked afterall... so thought we had to hire someone to cut such high growth. What'dya think they brought over? Two Exmark zero turn mowers! They started with the highest blade setting and lowered as they progressed. There's different models.

Anyways, I just looked Exmark up and it looks like they're made in Nebraska! (Only thing we don't really like is the tires take air and one has a leak (it IS 13 yrs old!) so we always have to put air in the tire. (One day want to go with solid tires so get those from the get-go if you can).

http://www.exmark.com/Products/ProductList/Default.aspx?type=ride

I have a Country Clipper (made in the USA) with a joystick instead of the two sticks. It's like a power chair on steroids.  :D   It has a 48" deck and a 19 hp Kawasaki engine. I love this mower.and have had it since 2007. Here's there site:  http://countryclipper.com/

You'll find all the zero turn mowers made in North America.  The rest of the world doesn't cut grass like we in North America do.

I just got off my 48" Toro zero turn.  My back yard's a little hilly, and the grass was high and wet.  Let me just say it was a wild ride, since the tires didn't have traction to turn or stop me.  I almost ended up in the woods.  I had to go to the bottom of the hill and cut uphill diagonally.

Saying that, zero turn mowers will cut twice as fast as a lawn tractor of the same deck size and they're great in trees.  But they do have their limitations, and they're simply not good on steep hills.

There are many, many good brands, including ExMark.  I personally prefer the Hustler zero turns because they have superior warranties and heavy welded decks (not stamped.)  They've got a couple of new budget models (< $3K) that are incredible values with Kawasaki motors.  I also like the Gravely's and the Walkers.

Zero turn mowers often require parts and service because they're worked very hard.  It's important to buy where you can get service, even if you have to pay a little more.

I thought this web site was called a Bennington Forum. This would lead me to believe that conversations should be relative to Bennington Pontoons and not lawn mowers etc. 

Sorry, but that's the way i see it…...

I thought this web site was called a Bennington Forum. This would lead me to believe that conversations should be relative to Bennington Pontoons and not lawn mowers etc. 

Sometimes we still have to get the grass cut before we can go play on the boat  :D The faster the better.

Tomtadych...........there are many "forums" that make up this overall club.bennington.com forum. Dock talk is a general discussion forum. Just about anything can be brought up or discussed in this particular forum............

Is there a hitch ball on the zero turn mowers so you could pull the Benny? (there, now it's about Bennington boats. You're welcome ;) )

Hard to beat an exmark.....at 5k you will likely be looking at a good used 48, which I would get.

You don't save a ton of time with trees with a 60.

Hustlers and the Toro's are also fine...remember, what ever you get it will last a lifetime as they are commercial equipment .

I would rather ask questions here, than ask where I don't know anyone. There are a great bunch of people here with much knowledge on many different subjects. Dock Talk is just that, bs about anything.

I used a Walter with front blade lift up for easy to work on. 25 hp. and it would go through anything. easy controls. One problem with Zero turn the wheel that your pivot on will dig up the grass under it.

That reminds me.  I have my zero turn on the trailer right now, and I need to get up and head out to my lake house to cut the grass. 

If I had one of those $1500 lawn tractors from one of the big box hardware stores, it'd take me twice as long to get the job done. 

And that would get into my boating time. 

Now if I could figure out how to cut a 45 degree embankment from the front door of my house into the water.  It takes all the strength I have with a Honda self propelled push mower.

Now if I could figure out how to cut a 45 degree embankment from the front door of my house into the water.  It takes all the strength I have with a Honda self propelled push mower.
Artificial turf .......  :D

I used a Walter with front blade lift up for easy to work on. 25 hp. and it would go through anything. easy controls. One problem with Zero turn the wheel that your pivot on will dig up the grass under it.
Not to hijack, but if you watch the professionals, the wheel should never pivots,,,, keeping it rolling at a slower pace avoids divots....the YANKEES turn also helps....sorry, I was in this business for a few yrs

I have had a Dixie Chopper www.dixiechopper.com/ (fastest zero turn) for 6 years and love it.  We have 5 acres with no trees and we can cut the lawn in around an hour.  The downside is the short wheel base can really bounce you at top speed.  I had cut with a Ford 3000 for years and the ground was not smooth. Since we plan on living at the house til it is the kids problem, had the ground profiled and replanted with one type of grass instead of the 6 species that were growing.  Now we can cut at full speed.  

What is "the YANKEES turn also helps"

Bamaman - Dixie Chopper has a 4 wheel drive zero turn that would cut that embankment for about half the price of a new Bennie.  http://www.dixiechopper.com/mowers/xcaliber-4x4

Last edited by a moderator:
Three turn. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All,

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.

You guys just crack me up!!!!!!!orter

I am hoping to test several brands over the next few weeks. Do you guys cut at full throttle all the time or less when the grass is dry and short.

Looking for more info and will plan on a hitch to move the Bennington around!!!!

Marc

Full throttle as you want the blades going as fast as they can.

Get a Bad Boy, and don't forget the spoiler!

Www.badboymowers.com

Back