115 optimax or 115 4 stroke Merc best for pontoon

marauder64

Reaction score
I am ordering a new 2574 this week and am having a difficult time selecting my outboard. I DO KNOW it will be a Merc and I initially liked the 115 optimax Pro XS but in the back of my mind think that the 115 4 stroke would probably be a better bet for a pontoon. I also like the looks of the Opti Pro Xs and not so much the 4 stroke which looks like a Roman Centurion's Helmet!

Anyone able to give me their 2 cents worth? Here is what I know so far. Opti is 25 pounds lighter, 100 dollars cheaper, a little louder, maybe a little better for fuel economy but will cost me in oil, maintainance is less. The 4 stroke would probably be a better resale item down the road and better for low speed lake cruising I would guess?

Thanks for any opinions/comments/facts!

I have the 115hp OptiMax on our boat. I've had no problems - maintenance cost is low, 2 stroke technology is tried and true. You are correct - it is not quite as quiet, however, it is definitely not the two stroke motor that you are used to from years ago. I don't think you can make a bad decision here. I went with what my dealer had in stock and what gave me the best deal. If that would have been the 4 stroke I would have gone that way with no hesitation.

Shawn

If you are in to quiet, then definitely get the 4 stroke. Then newer 2 strokes really sip the oil though, not like the oil injection of the late 90's early 00's. Out of the hole the 2 stroke is much better. You are right about low speed idle. Cruising is good with either. I'll probably catch ()*) for saying this, but I feel the 4 strokes are better for the environment.

I have a 150 pro xs on a 2275 RCW. I love it. Strong motor, less weight on the transom and fast. Plus you get a few more ponies out of it then a standard 115. Btw,  what is driving you towards a 115hp?

Todd

Back