150 HP Towing a Skier

cliffy_23

Reaction score
We are looking at buying a Bennington SSRX 24' with a Yamaha outboard 150HP motor. The toon has triple toons and what-not. Does this setup really pull a skier easily? And when I say a skier, I am talking about a wakeboarder, slalom or regularl dual-ski setup. Also, we are in somewhat high elevation as well (6000+ feet elevation).

Thanks in advance.

IMHO I would go with more hp due to the elevation and lost power.

I see you have a 150hp outboard as well right? How does it do in your area with skiers?

First off, which "tritoon" setup are we talking about? Take a look at this thread from a long time ago, video is worth the watch!!

Cliffy_23

We have a 2012 Bennington 22 SSI, Mercury 150 4 stroke XL performance package 3 tubes w/lifting strakes. No problem pulling adult wakeboarder, slalom or regular dual-skier & 3 adults on a large tube. The boat planes very fast at a low speed & accelerates quickly to 30+ mph. Our top speed is 42 mph and have seen 40 mph (gps) with 6 adults onboard. Now don't think you can put 8 people onboard and pull a 250lbs salalom skier and pop him right out of water! Heck my old 19ft ski boat w/V-8 chevy IO would have a little problem doing that too!

RiverBill

Am not an expert on this subject but it looks like you may be a sking family and if you want to make a lot of s turns at high speed you may want the ESP package over the tri toon

One item to consider might be ordering the 150hp verado if you are set on a 150. The supercharged engines are supposed to retain more of their rated power when operating at higher altitude.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information. I am not sure what exact performance package it has. I will follow-up on that right away. I heard the supercharged motors are a lot better in high altitude but also heard the newer fueld injection motors are a LOT better than the older carb models. I'll get the additional data and report back. We are also getting the upgrade price to go to the 200 today. THey said initially it would be a couple of thousand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some more details on this boat we are looking at. It is a 24 SSRX with the Yamaha 150 with the SPS package that has the three toons that are 25" each. This model doesn't have the ESP package available. It does have the lifting stakes on all of the toons along with a few other things (wave guard, etc...) that probably don't impact too much performance wise.

On a side-note, I am shocked at what the dealers charge for prep/freight along with overcharging (IMO) for the trailer. Maybe they make up some money in those costs.

Thanks

My best suggestion would be to shop around, there can be a big difference between dealers especially when trade ins are involved. I talked to three dealers when I purchased mine and there was a big difference in price.

Back