20' shafts on Yamaha 250 SHO?

Gastonguy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage going with the Mercury Verado 250 hp vs the Yamaha SHO 250 hp? The yamaha comes with a 20' shaft while the Mercury come with a 25' shaft. Not sure if there is anything to the yamaha sitting lower in the water and the engine taking on too much spray. Would appreciate any comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage going with the Mercury Verado 250 hp vs the Yamaha SHO 250 hp? The yamaha comes with a 20' shaft while the Mercury come with a 25' shaft. Not sure if there is anything to the yamaha sitting lower in the water and the engine taking on too much spray. Would appreciate any comments.
I'm assuming you mean 20 and 25 inches and not feet!!!! ;)

I believe your transom height has to be custom built to accommodate a 20" installation.

Gastonguy,

Before I purchased my toon I drove a 2575 with the Yamaha 250 SHO and one with the Mercury Verado. I was also concerned about the shaft length. While test driving the Yamaha I thought prop cavitation occurred to much. It happened during top end speed when the motor was trimmed up and during high speed sharp turns. I ended up purchasing the 300 Verado and have had no cavitation problems.

Hi Gaston,

you'll find that Bennington accomodates both 20" shaft and 25" shaft engines with alternative transoms. 25" transom is standard on ESP package, and 20" transom is the alternative to accomodate Yamaha sho engines. You can also order a 25" shaft F250TX outboard from Yamaha (non sho) or any of the 25" shaft Verados. We find slight performance variations between these two transom hts, but nothing dramatic. TB

My last toon was an 07 2275 gl tripple tube with a 20" transom with 150 yamaha and I had absolutely zero issues with it and it performed awesome. but being a standard tripple tube with lifting strakes on both sides of all 3 logs made cornering very hard. it sat so flat on the water the engine had to force it around corners at higher speeds and I would get cavitation at that point.

I kept the 07 Yamaha 150 with 20 " shaft and custom ordered my new 2011 2250 gcw esp with a 20" transom and swapped the engine to the new ride when I traded boats.

Probably be a few weeks before getting in the water to see the difference.

I would not be afraid of the 20" at all as far as water spray It sits plenty high out of the water. If it gets spray on it with a 20" its still going to be wet with a 25" in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild and Free,

Saw pics of your boat on another forum. It's a beauty. Can't wait till you get it in the water with your engine setup to see how she runs.

Back